INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problem with scraping for TV episodes  (Read 1510 times)

Skyx

• Recent member
Problem with scraping for TV episodes
« on: March 17, 2019, 05:31:34 am »

Sorry, but I followed the instructions to the letter... still I'm not able to solve the issues:
- new folders/movies are not automatically scraped and added to my library. Filenames and Tags are ok, proven by when I retrieve the info and artwork manually, the scraper finds the correct data...
- TV Series are not identified... I spent almost all day yesterday, but it didn't help. I have named the files and folders acc to :
https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/TV_Episodes

The Share is correctly tagged as Movies / Media Sub Type TV Show...

any advice greatly appreciated.

BR
Sky

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Problem with scraping for TV
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 05:26:59 pm »

Provide a few example file names you are using.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Skyx

• Recent member
Re: Problem with scraping for TV episodes
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 11:03:04 am »

Hi Roderick,

eg:
Heartland/Season 5/Heartland.S05E01.mkv
or
The Walking Dead (2010)/Season 08/The Walking Dead.S08E01.avi
or
Suits/Season 01/Suits S01E02.mkv

or
The Pacific
strangely JRiver would list the folder with 0 movie files, but it is listed in tvdb.com (site is currently down).

BR

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 05:19:08 pm »

Okay, well, many things to discuss.

First, I hope you are tagging [Media Type]=Video and [Media Sub Type]=TV Show, and not tagging TV shows as Movie / Media Sub Type TV Show... but I think that was just you typing in shorthand. Note that generally MC does guess whether a video file being imported is a TV Show or Movie, so tagging on import isn't usually required, but I think we discussed that before, and in your case it made sense because your directory naming convention provided the information, and you had some long episodes that were being marked as movies, or something like that. (I didn't look back through earlier posts to check that was you!)

Next, the Wiki clearly shows the example file name format as "Series_name.SxxEyy.Episode_name.File_extension", so for your first example, the file name should be "Heartland.S05E01.Finding Freedom.mkv", or similar. Using your format, without the Episode name in the filename, MC will put something it thinks is correct into the name field. In the case of your first example, it will set [Name]="Heartland S5E1", which is obviously wrong, but does help with future manual lookups. Sort of.

You see when you import a file into MC, the first step is that a function called CARNAC parses what information it can out of the file name only. It doesn't use the directory names at all. When CARNAC has done its job, tags are written to the file (if MC is set to do that) and MC Library.

Later steps are to get Cover Art and run the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function. However, these functions will not overwrite existing tags when run as part of Auto Import. So the [Name] tag set by CARNAC to "Heartland S5E1" for example, will not be overwritten by the correct Episode name "Finding Freedom", for example, by Auto Import options. It can be overwritten when manually running the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function, because tags are overwritten when the function is run manually, if the user selects the option to do so.

There is another issue with Heartland, which is obvious when you manually search for it on TheTVDB; there are multiple possible series that match that name. There are "Heartland", "Heartland (1994)", "Heartland (2007)", and "Heartland (2007) (CA)". If there are multiple Series results that can't be distinguished when MC runs the "Get Movie & TV Info..." function as part of Auto Import, it will not select any result and hence no update to metadata occurs. I picked "Heartland (2007) (CA)" in my example above because it is the only series record that includes a Season 5, but MC will not make that choice. If the Episode name was included in the file name, MC may have used that to find the correct record, if the Series name was unambiguous, however...

Generally, if the Season and Episode numbers are not known, MC will use the Series and Episode names to find the correct record on TheTVDB. However, there is another problem with the Heartland series. The actual Series name on TheTVDB is "Heartland (2007) (CA)", and MC doesn't always do too well when a Series name includes a year value, although that has been improved. If you had named that Episode "Heartland (2007) (CA).S05E01.Finding Freedom.mkv", MC would have found the correct record. Most people don't want the Year value and additional details in the Series name in MC, and therefore rename the Series to some common name, like "Heartland". That is fine once one accurate lookup has been done and the tag [TheTVDB Series ID] has been filled in. Future file imports with the Series name of "Heartland" will then use the [TheTVDB Series ID] tag to find the correct record.

Anyway, all in all, getting metadata isn't a straight forward process, particularly when the data available to MC is ambiguous. Go through the above and improve what you are doing so that MC will work as expected in future.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Skyx

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 06:13:48 am »

Roderick,

you are the best !!
Many many thanks for getting back...

"First, I hope you are tagging [Media Type]=Video and [Media Sub Type]=TV Show, and not tagging TV shows as Movie / Media Sub Type TV Show... "

Unfortunately it seems like this is exactly what I did, although not intentionally.

While I still think the process of getting TV Shows properly scraped in MC, is unfortunately not automatic, and requires some manual action (vs. the exact same setup, using the exact same shares in Kodi worked without much problems, as Kodi would ask for the right TV Show when it came across multiple results)... I've managed to get almost all of my TV Shows entered into my library.

The trick was to manually tag the entire Share as MediaType Video and SubType TV Show... when I added the share, there was no option to choose from, so I only manually added MediaSubType. Now I added MediaType as well and then it worked for almost all TV Shows when I manually retrieved the Info.

To sum it up, MC requires a lot more manual work, than Kodi did...
But the result (for me), is worth it.
Superior picture quality (using MadVR), iso support and Harmony remote functionality ootb...

Many many thanks again.

BR
Sky

muzicman0

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 09:00:54 am »

I believe this is correct...correct me if I am wrong, but if you manually do the 'Get Movie and TV Info' on a single file first, if there are multiple entries, it will ask which series it is (IE: you can choose the correct Heartland series)...once that is done, you can do all the rest at the same time and it will use the series you chose in the step before.  All future episodes that are added will also use the same info.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 03:53:07 pm »

I believe this is correct...

Yep, that is correct. That works because selection of the correct Series for the first file sets the [TheTVDB Series ID] tag, which is then used for lookups for all future files with a matching Series name.
Pages: [1]   Go Up