INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to get best of two worlds : Audio & Video  (Read 1911 times)

Facel

• World Citizen
How to get best of two worlds : Audio & Video
« on: December 12, 2020, 03:49:25 am »

My audio and video is as follow:
 - JRiver running on intel Nuc headless as media server (audio files stored on the Nuc)
 - "Synology" Nas hosting video files
 - "Allo Signature Bridge" used as DLNA renderer connected via USB to My DAC
 -  DAC connected to stereo Hifi System (Amplifier + Loudspeaker)
 -  "Nvidia Shield TV" connected via HDMI to my Sony TV (Shield Tv is an android box)
 - "Sony TV" connected to my DAC via optical SPDIF

The audio quality au my audio set ("Allo Signature Bridge" + (USB input) DAC + Hifi System) is much far better than the audio
quality of my video set ("Nvidia Shield" + "Sony TV" + (Optical Input) DAC + Hifi System.
JRemote allows me to play audio through DLNA to the "Allo" device
Vimu is an android appication (with dlna capabiity as well as samba) used for playing video

Is there a way to play a video file and routing the audio of the video played through my audio set "Allo" + (USB) Dac +Hifi system
(with a perfect synchronisation of course) ?

By now my video files are not part of my JRiver Librairy (but they could if necessary)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: How to get best of two worlds : Audio & Video
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 06:54:46 am »

You can use Zones to have two different MC configurations.  The wiki has a topic.  Also look at ZoneSwitch there.

MikeO

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 10:47:13 pm »

On the face of it you would need an HDMI out from your renderer to the TV, the Allo doesn’t have this I think, so I suspect the answer is no

You can set 2 zones easily using two renderers but you would be stuck getting a digital signal to the DAC. I am puzzled why the audio quality should be that much worse between the two renderer

The ZoneSwitch JimH refers to allows you to define which End Point you use based on media type, ie Audio to the Allo, Video to the NVidia that’s easy, your video files would need to be in MC for that to work. I do just that

wer

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 11:29:31 pm »

There are two basic ways to do this.

If you want to do it the right way, with the best audio and video quality, use MC as the video playback device. Hook the NUC to the TV or receiver via HDMI directly. You can allow audio to be routed through there, or you can send audio separately from the NUC to your DAC via a second audio interface, either optical or USB.  No Shield involved, no DLNA needed.

If you're not interested in that, and instead want to pull some kind of stunt with DLNA and the Shield, then buy an HDMI Audio Extractor. It will take the HDMI out from your Shield, pass the video over HDMI to the TV, and extract and send the audio via TOSLINK to your DAC.

The weak link in your audio processing is the Shield and perhaps the TV. MC will do better on the video as well with MadVR. I don't understand the point of making your system depend on DLNA. Everything will be better if you just use the NUC and MC directly for playback.

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2020, 05:15:51 am »

Thanks to all of you for your help and please find my answers

@JimH
   I have spent a few hours trying zone but it does not work properly at all (bad synchro, many playback problem: it seems that the zone unlink themself,
   I only had Once (at the first lauch) the correct audio and correct video playing (almost together) and routed as they should be.
  I have not been able to understand the zoneswitch function and config settings.

@MikeO
  The Allo has an HDMI output but this linux renderer is designed for Audio (with Moode Audio player) and has no video player installed.
  The Allo has a very "clean" USB output and a very clean linear power supply, that is why its Audio quality has nothing to do with a renderer like the Shield (which is extremly good for video) or like a windows PC  running JRiver.

@wer
   Sending audio from the Nuc to my DAC will definitively not give me a better audio quality than routing audio through the Allo (cf last answer to MikeO)
   Maybe an HDMI extractor could be a solution (I am not sure about the audio quality of this configuration: today I have the HDMI output connected to my TV and my TV extracts the Audio from the HDMI and send it to the DAC via Toslink ... but the audio quality is not as good as through the Allo

You are right the weak link in audio is the Shield and TV but as I said before NUC and MC will never be as good for audio quality as my Allo Renderer (or any linux dedicated renderer for audio like SMS200 Ultra from SOTM, or Rendu, Auralic ...)

wer

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2020, 02:00:30 pm »

MC will never be as good for audio quality as my Allo Renderer (or any linux dedicated renderer for audio like SMS200 Ultra from SOTM, or Rendu, Auralic ...)
Ah, ok I see now.  Good luck to you.

jlee700

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2020, 09:25:44 pm »

Can you try another linux distribution on your Allo so that you can install mediacenter, and use it as a renderer for both audio and video? If it is possible, then I suppose you can mute the sound from TV and play sound on your stereo.

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 03:24:46 am »

Hi Jelee700

I think you are right, the solution is very probably to install JRiver on the Allo.
The question is : will the allo be powerfull enough for video (as it is based on a RPI P3B board)
Maybe a split of Audio= Allo/JRiver and Video= Shield would be needed. In this case I can run vimu on the shield or JRiver for android !! 
Vimu has a very good performance and interface but could be included in the game only through DLNA (I presume)
JRiver on Android should be more effeicient on the managment of the splited audio and video. (my guess)

Allo propose four "unix distribution" (DietPI, Moode Audio, Volumio and Max to play)
These distributions are using MPD as internal player, and one  reason why I could not have my Allo /Moode playing audio embedded into video is that only mp4 is supported by MPD as Video format ....(my video files are TS, MP4, MKV, AVI)

I can have JRiver running on Dietpi (I have already installed such a config) I did not choose to go this way because my experience with Allo /linux products is that the maintenance /administration for audio playing is much easier with Moode as DLNA renderer rather than Dietpi with or without JRiver (Allo/dietpi version is also using MPD player).

I do know if I can and if it worth to install a different Linux distri to run JRiver only, than those proposed by Allo ?

Thanks for sharing your ideas

Facel

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2020, 12:28:43 am »

I have MC27 running on Dietpi on my Allo USBridge Signature....It is playing video files but with a lot of Jerks.

I do not know if this can be improved and what is the cause of that behaviour (Missing modules on Dietpi ?, CM3+board =RPI3B industrial version ?)

MikeO

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 10:36:19 am »

Bit late

The Allo is RPi based, the HDMI is on the RPi board. I have the Allo Digione which is the non RPi HAT,

It’s unlikely the Pi will have the processor for video, it’s fine for audio. As for running MC as a server I suspect very underpowered hence the stuttering

You may get away with using it as a renderer, just,
Pages: [1]   Go Up