INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Intel NUC optical out and Linux  (Read 2505 times)

BrianT

• Recent member
Intel NUC optical out and Linux
« on: March 27, 2019, 11:07:06 am »

I posted this in the Hardware section but no response.
Hopefully a Linux expert can help.

After many years of running JRiver on my main PC, I am considering making a dedicated audio only system using an Intel NUC.
I would like to use the optical out of the NUC to feed a Chord Mojo driving a pair of Grado PS500e headphones.
For my proposed build I am considering using Linux Mint and I would like to know if there are any issues with using the optical out under Linux.

Regards,
Brian

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Intel NUC optical out and Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 02:07:07 pm »

It's a difficult question to answer. I'm guessing that the NUC use some type of Realtek chip for audio. Those can be finicky since those drivers aren't in the kernel, but Mint/Ubuntu is probably your best shot at having it work out of the box.

I would give it a 70% chance of working OOTB and a 99% chance that you can get it working with minimal configuration.

Your best bet is to do some online research about past success with the NUC SPDIF and Linux.

BrianT

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2019, 04:27:36 am »

Thank you for your response.
I have looked on the internet but as you said I have a specific query for which I have not found an answer (so far).

I was just hoping that someone could confirm that the Realtek Optical driver was included in the Mint build.

I will do some more investigation and I still think that the NUC suits my needs.
If all else fails, I will buy one and see if I can get it to work. It may be fun.

Thanks again

Gedeon

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 08:09:29 am »

The raspbian over pi3 could be a good and cheap alternative if you look for an "audio only" box. And USB connection will, probably, give you a better experience.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2019, 09:12:01 am »

I use a raspberry pi 3, rasbian, JRiver 24, and a hifiberry digi optical/sdif board. Everything worked out of the box.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2019, 10:22:41 am »

Our IdNUC product supports the optical out on Debian Jessie so I'd assume more bleeding edge distros would as well.
You may need to check your particular NUC. We are using the long term supported NUC 6 series.
Pages: [1]   Go Up