INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unassigned? What does that mean?  (Read 2562 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Unassigned? What does that mean?
« on: March 27, 2019, 09:36:03 pm »

I ripped two CDs.  The first ripped well, first try.  The second for some reason I don't understand took three or four tries to get it to finally "go". For that second CD, the failed rips either failed, or I had to cancel when the rip got "hung up" on a particular track. 

Once I got both CDs ripped, I used Library Tools to RMC to make sure all the new tracks are named and saved according to my convention.  The first CD, Condition Human, showed up in the Tree and in the Album View, no problem.  The second CD, Verdict, didn't appear in the Tree, or in the Album View.  I double checked in the Finder and both albums were in my Queensryche directory where they should have been.  I ended up moving Verdict to Trash, then restoring it. That fixed the problem, for some reason.

OK, enough back story.  I just discovered, in the Album View there is an album called Unassigned that has all the tracks from Condition Human and Verdict.  This is in addition to the "actual" albums.  What the heck is an "unassigned" file?  How do I get it assigned?  What do I assign it to?

macdonjh

Re: Unassigned? What does that mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:40:22 pm »

Oh, I should also say, I deleted the Condition Human tracks from the "Unassigned" album, and when I tried to play them in the Condition Human album MC told me that the track didn't exist.  So I reripped the CD, and now the tracks are in Queensryche\Condition Human\[artist] - [name] and, miracle, they are not in the Unassigned album any more.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »

You really, really need to learn how tags work, and how MC Views work.

Unassigned just means that the field you were grouping on didn't have a value in it. So, in the expanded list of the Albums View, or the default Audio Panes View, if an Album (or just a group of tracks) are labelled as Unassigned, MC doesn't have a value in the [Album] tag. All you need to do to fix that is enter an Album tag for those tracks.

You had a bad (dirty, scratched, poor copy) CD, so it took a bit to rip it. Normal. It sounds like MC wasn't able to look up, or find metadata for the CD in YADB the first time, but found it when it reimported it after you trashed and restored it. Or maybe you just didn't wait for the RM&CF function to update tags, before looking for the tracks. Although if you now have copies of those tracks in both unassigned and their correct Album, maybe you ripped the CDs twice?

I can't tell from what you have said. But with hands on, it is usually easy to see what MC has done, or what needs fixing.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2019, 08:15:53 pm »

Thanks, RoderickGI.  The CD I had the most trouble with was brand new, which is why I thought it was so strange I was having trouble ripping it.  Track 10 still hasn't ripped... 

A couple of the other CDs I ripped appeared both in the expanded Album view (correctly) and in the Unassigned "album". 

As I said, it was unusual.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 10:20:48 pm »

As far as I am aware, the only ways that you would get an Album both under the correct Album name in the album View, and also in the unassigned group, would be;

1. You ripped the CD twice, and one version didn't get any metadata, so wasn't identified by Album.
2. You have Auto Import set up so that it is imported temporary files found in the MC cache. Although I'm not entirely sure that ripping a CD uses the Audio conversion cache. Something you could check.
3. You have Auto Import set up so that it sees the one location twice, and so imports using each path it sees. For example, if you had an F: drive in your server, which is where you stored music, in the directory F:\Music, and you also had a share setup pointing to the \\PC\Music, which is the same location. If both where set to be imported from, then MC would show two copies. If this happened though, both copies should be listed under the same Album name.

Also, make sure MC has had time to lookup the metadata and save it to the files, and refresh the Views you are using, before concluding that there are two copies.

If you find yourself in that situation again, with tracks visible both under the Album and unassigned, right-click on an example of each for the same track and select "Locate > On Disk (external)" and compare where the files are located. That may answer the question, and perhaps help you fix your Auto Import setup if that is the issue.

PS: As one of our experts here said recently, new pressings of old CDs can sometimes be very poor quality, as they are using old worn forms for the pressing. If you can't rip the CD you should take it back for replacement or refund. But maybe just a good clean would allow the rip to work.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

macdonjh

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 08:47:50 pm »

I think #1 is the correct explanation.  Thanks again.

I was close to sending the problem disc back to Amazon, but it finally ripped.
Pages: [1]   Go Up