INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Question Concerning "Optimize hardware decoding for performance" Setting  (Read 3181 times)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

I read through some of the threads announcing the new MadVR presets, and the discussion concerning this setting, but wasn't quite sure what this setting does exactly.  Does it optimize performance by trading video quality for performance such that it should not be enabled if your video card can handle things as is?  Or is it a general optimization such that its more or less always desirable to have it checked (barring unusual cases)?

This thread specifically suggests enabling it for low-end video cards and/or integrated graphics, but didn't say whether it was a good idea in other cases:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118526.msg819964.html#msg819964

This thread seemed to contemplate that it might not be a good idea in all cases:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,118078.msg816969.html#msg816969

I just wasn't sure what the option is actually doing, and thought I'd ask

Hendrik

• Administrator

It quite simply enables DXVA2-Native video decoding with madVR, which can have a small quality impact (ie. chroma blur) on some graphics cards - primarily NVIDIA cards.
It does not touch madVR settings or anything else.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient

It quite simply enables DXVA2-Native video decoding with madVR, which can have a small quality impact (ie. chroma blur) on some graphics cards - primarily NVIDIA cards.
It does not touch madVR settings or anything else.

Great, thanks for the clarification.  I'll leave it off as I'm running with NVIDIA and am not having any issues.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
Re: Question Concerning "Optimize hardware decoding for performance" Setting
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 10:21:47 pm »

Found this issue for the first time.  I'd been playing with the best settings for rendering out footage from my Sony FX6 and kept seeing odd chroma noise on the files from Davinci Resolve.  In the full res screen grab attached you can see weird colours on the "white" window sills behind the colour checker.  It seems that this chroma noise becomes really exaggerated with the combination of DXVA2-Native and madVR HDR processing. 
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up