INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No audio thru HDMI and weird Symbols in the lower right  (Read 930 times)

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
No audio thru HDMI and weird Symbols in the lower right
« on: March 30, 2019, 03:41:23 pm »

Hi all,
I'm on 25.0.17 - 64-bit Windows 10 (1809 build 17763.379)
Sometimes, I just want to plug my computer into our receiver via HDMI and watch a movie. I get the video but not the audio. The audio stays on the computer.
If I shut down JRiver and run youtube, I get both audio and video.
Any ideas what I need to do to get audio thru HDMI when running JRiver?
Also, I seem to be getting the two symbols in the bottom right when I watch video. I don't recall seeing those before. I've attached a screenshot.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: No audio thru HDMI and weird Symbols in the lower right
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 07:08:01 pm »

Set the audio output device in MC, "Options > Audio >Audio Device". It needs to be outputting to the HDMI device. You have it set to the computer speakers. It sounds like you have the Windows Default Audio Device set to the HDMI output, which is why YouTube works.

Sometimes the Audio Device seems to get changed during an upgrade, but usually, at least for me, it gets changed to HDMI, rather than away from it. That is a known Windows issue, not a MC issue.

No idea what those symbols are. They could be coming from your TV, not MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 08:48:50 pm »

Thanks for the reply, Roderick.
My default audio device are the internal speakers. If I plug in headphones, then audio is auto-rerouted to those. If I plug in HDMI, then audio is auto-rerouted to the HDMI port *unless* I'm using JRiver. I don't recall having to do make an adjustment in JRiver before but it's been awhile since I plugged in a HDMI cable while using JRiver.

The symbols are only visible when I use JRiver, even when I am not connected to any other device.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 09:32:28 pm »

Those audio re-routes would be done by the driver for your audio hardware, or its application software if you have that installed. It is changing the Windows output device by the sound of it.

The MC Audio Device is independent of the Windows Audio Device. You must have selected HDMI out in MC in the past. If MC also auto re-routes audio output, you must have set up Zones and ZoneSwitch in MC at some time.

If you just play audio through your receiver now, does the audio work? I would be surprised, unless you have another connection other than HDMI from your PC to the Receiver.

Still no better idea about those symbols. But it could still be your TV telling you something about the input it is receiving.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2019, 02:19:51 am »

Thanks, again, Roderick.
The weird symbols were coming from the Nvidia Experience app - I turned that off.
I took your advice and once hooked to the TV, reassigned the audio out and it worked.
Thank you for the quick responses.

RD James

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:54:41 am »

"Default Audio Device (DirectSound)" is how most applications output audio, and should automatically switch to match Windows' output.
However that is a non-exclusive output and has no guarantee of quality compared to something like a defined WASAPI Exclusive output.

ssands

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2019, 06:40:37 pm »

Got it. Thanks!
I was probably mis-remembering that plugging the computer in via HDMI also switched the audio. I'm using WASAPI.
So, when I do this again, I'll (hopefully) remember to switch the audio in options.
Appreciate the help Roderick and RD
Pages: [1]   Go Up