INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 10 Insider Preview 18917.1 - driver update  (Read 1088 times)

Melbro

• Recent member
Windows 10 Insider Preview 18917.1 - driver update
« on: June 13, 2019, 05:53:26 am »

Has anybody else had issues with updates blowing out existing drivers? I have my ifi Nano BL running currently. I updated to the above this morning and all audio died. The ifi 3.2 driver was wiped and replaced with an MS generic (10.0.18917.1000 dated 08.06.2019) running at 32bit 384k capability. My only solution after an hour of faffing (had my dac/amp/speakers tripped) was to reload the ifi driver and select it over the MS version.

Any suggestions to avoid this in future / are JR expecting to update MC25 to run with this new driver standard? I'd expect W10 to carry similar for everyone in time.

Regards

:(

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows 10 Insider Preview 18917.1 - driver update
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 12:32:53 pm »

Any suggestions to avoid this in future / are JR expecting to update MC25 to run with this new driver standard? I'd expect W10 to carry similar for everyone in time.

It may be obvious - but my suggestion is to run with a current, supported version of Windows 10 and leave the Insider Previews out of the mix.

There are many ways to ensure Windows 10 does not mess with existing drivers - but installing Insider Previews virtually guarantees problems. (And is not supported by JRiver either)

VP

MGD_King

• It's not easy being me, but it sure is fun!
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 06:57:28 am »

It may be obvious - but my suggestion is to run with a current, supported version of Windows 10 and leave the Insider Previews out of the mix.

There are many ways to ensure Windows 10 does not mess with existing drivers - but installing Insider Previews virtually guarantees problems. (And is not supported by JRiver either)

VP
I've been running Insider Previews since their inception and have never had an issue with MC playing on it. Melbro has a legitimate concern because Microsoft is notorious for updating drivers, regardless if it's a Preview version of Windows or the Standard release. My suggestion is to contact the hardware manufacturer and see what they have to say.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2019, 07:04:31 am »

I've been running Insider Previews since their inception and have never had an issue with MC playing on it. Melbro has a legitimate concern because Microsoft is notorious for updating drivers, regardless if it's a Preview version of Windows or the Standard release.

Completely understood - however - how does this relate to MC? Is this not a question for Microsoft?

Once again - it is very easy to ensure Windows 10 never touches installed drivers (Standard Release). I have never dabbled with an Insider Preview but it sounds like that type of install most likely target every corner of an installed OS - and since it is Preview and not supported in anyway - it should come as no surprise that drivers might get torched.

VP

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 07:29:02 am »

I'm not even sure exactly MCs involvement here was. Apparently the MS driver accepted 32-bit 384k, which isn't even bad. Not sure what you would MC to expect to do about that?

For best results, always install drivers from vendors either way. Major Windows version upgrades wiping out some drivers isn't new - which is why I try to avoid those in-place upgrades, and when I do them, I carefully update/reinstall all drivers.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up