INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DVB NIT Scanning  (Read 2505 times)

ABA

• Recent member
DVB NIT Scanning
« on: April 06, 2019, 05:49:03 pm »

Great to see improvements on the TV front. Upgraded to MC25 due to these.

Tried out NIT scanning, but unfortunately tuning fails. Switched back to using legacy mode and tuning/scanning completes just fine.

I am using HDHomerun HDHR3-EUwith latest drivers (Feb. 19). TV watching works fine besides the NIT scanning issue.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: DVB NIT Scanning
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 03:09:14 pm »

Great to see improvements on the TV front. Upgraded to MC25 due to these.

Tried out NIT scanning, but unfortunately tuning fails. Switched back to using legacy mode and tuning/scanning completes just fine.

I am using HDHomerun HDHR3-EUwith latest drivers (Feb. 19). TV watching works fine besides the NIT scanning issue.

Please provide a set of logs on NIT channel scanning.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2019, 03:04:35 pm »

Log file attached.

Went to TV options and initiated a rescan´. When prompted, I selected NIT-scan from 434.000 kHz (Denmark / Glentevejens) as per my providers instructions - scanning failed almost immedieately. Retried by entering 434 instead of 434.000 kHz with same result.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 11:15:27 pm »

Log file attached.

Went to TV options and initiated a rescan´. When prompted, I selected NIT-scan from 434.000 kHz (Denmark / Glentevejens) as per my providers instructions - scanning failed almost immedieately. Retried by entering 434 instead of 434.000 kHz with same result.

The frequency should be 434000 kHz, not 434.000 kHz.  Not sure if you actually entered 434 or 434000, but MC did not get any notification for "tuned".

EDIT: I see in the log file that the frequency was correctly entered - 434000 (kHz).

I found this in the log which is suspicious:
TV: CGenericHDTV::WaitForSignalToLock - 0x6b81288: Locked: 0, present: 1, strength: 100, quality: 0

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 01:04:34 am »

One thought: I previously used DVBLink TVSource with Windows 7 WMC. That suite supports NIT-scan, but in addition to the parameters that MC25 requires for a NIT-scan, TVSource also required selecting a network-number (network 1). I have also noticed that the TVs in the house requires this parameter, whereas MC25 does not. Could that be the cause of the issue?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 07:56:10 am »

It is possible.  However when we use static frequency table from the files, we do not have NID either.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 08:24:32 am »

I looked at a MediaPortal instruction page (https://www.team-mediaportal.com/wiki/display/MediaPortal1/DVB-C+Advanced+Tuning)
They only require the three parameters that we require.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 08:34:20 am »

I noticed that your OS is Windows 10.  Are you by any chance using an Insiders Edition of Windows 10?

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2019, 10:19:30 am »

I also see this in the log:

0348109: 11584: TV: DVBCDigitalTV::CreateTuneRequest(JRComPtr<IDVBTuneRequest> &...) - 0x6b81288: Freq: 434, Bandwidth: 7.

0348359: 11584: TV: CGenericHDTV::WaitForSignalToLock - 0x6b81288: Locked: 0, present: 0, strength: 0, quality: 0

Which means you started with frequency 434000 and got "Tuning failed.  Do you want to modify tuning parameters and try again?" message.  You then changed the frequency to 434.  Right?

434000 should be the correct one.  Initial tuning somehow did not produce enough quality value (we are looking for non-zero value, but got 0).  So we quit after a couple of seconds.

Please try using the "Wait longer" option.  When using this option we not only will wait longer for the tuner to tune, we also consider it OK to just get "Locked" (without insisting on having a non-zero Quality).  Please try this approach and see if we can get anywhere.

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2019, 01:20:17 pm »

Never came across the relevance of Network ID when using static frequency tables. I am no expert (only a user with some experience), but Network ID is something I have only come across when doing a NIT scan.

Never used MediaPortal, so don't know if I can get NIT scan to work in that software even though it does not ask for Network ID as you say.

Windows 10 is the latest release version (no Insiders Edition)

Yes, I scanned twice using 434000 from the list and 434 entered manually the second time. Thought there might be a bug in kHz/MHz nomenclature (it was just a long shot...)

Not sure what you mean by the "wait longer option". I tried checking the "Perform a more thorough scan" if that's what you meant, but same result - scanning failed. 

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2019, 02:38:13 pm »

Just tried some of the other entries on the list (Denmark/Glenten). Oddly enough the third one from the top (138000 / 6875 / 256QAM) worked even though it is not the official guidance from the service provider.

Created a new log (attached) with two tries: The first try is the official 434000 entry and the second try is the 138000 entry. Hence you can compare the results. (Please note, that when the scan had completed successfully during the second try, I cancelled in order not to mess up my current channel setup, but I take it you should be able to see the result of the NIT scan in both instances.)

I then went to my son's Sony TV set to test both frequencies. Oddly enough both the 434000 as well as the 138000 works fine, (although I can't verify the symbol rate and modulation it uses because it simply does not show).

Not sure what to make of this...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2019, 04:31:30 pm »

Just tried some of the other entries on the list (Denmark/Glenten). Oddly enough the third one from the top (138000 / 6875 / 256QAM) worked even though it is not the official guidance from the service provider.

This was something that I was going to suggest, and I am glad you thought of it.

For some reason the 434000 kHz transport was hard to tune to.  Maybe MC did not wait long enough for it to tune.  I modified the program a bit so it will wait longer, in both normal mode and the "Perform a more thorough but slower scan" mode.

You can download the new DLL for 32-bit MC here, if you don't mind doing more testing.

Created a new log (attached) with two tries: The first try is the official 434000 entry and the second try is the 138000 entry. Hence you can compare the results. (Please note, that when the scan had completed successfully during the second try, I cancelled in order not to mess up my current channel setup, but I take it you should be able to see the result of the NIT scan in both instances.)

I then went to my son's Sony TV set to test both frequencies. Oddly enough both the 434000 as well as the 138000 works fine, (although I can't verify the symbol rate and modulation it uses because it simply does not show).

Not sure what to make of this...

Thanks for the logs.  I will examine them and see if I can discover something.

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2019, 11:41:45 pm »

Tried new DLL - scanning still fails.

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 11:49:28 am »

The logs you posted yesterday show that we had trouble tuning to 434000 kHz frequency.  We got the following as before:

Locked: 0, present: 1, strength: 98, quality: 0

When using 138000 kHz, the NIT scan produced 35 different frequencies, including 434000 kHz:

0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseDescriptorsNIT: Start
0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseCableDelvrySysDescriptor: Start
0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseCableDelvrySysDescriptor: Frequency: 434000 kHz
0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseCableDelvrySysDescriptor: FECOuter: no outer FEC coding
0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseCableDelvrySysDescriptor: Modulation: 64QAM
0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseCableDelvrySysDescriptor: SymbolRate: 6875
0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseCableDelvrySysDescriptor: FECInner: not defined
0069141: 10172: TV: CMPEG2SectionsAndTablesParser::ParseCableDelvrySysDescriptor: Finish (0 ms)

When using these NIT parameters to scan again, we still could not get locks.

That means you would not have found any channels that use this frequency.  Did you notice any channels missing?

I wonder whether this transponder requires something special to tune to.  Is it DVB-C2?  I am not aware of DVB-C2 needing anything different from DVB-C.  Besides this frequency, the following failed too:

394000 kHz
474000 kHz
162000 kHz
130000 kHz
122000 kHz
842000 kHz
850000 kHz

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 01:33:21 pm »

DVB-C2 capability is disabled. I believe it has caused issues in the (distant) past. I tried enabling it and scanned again. Same result: 434000 does not work but 138000 does. Hence I disabled again since it seems to make no difference.

When scanning based on the 138000 NIT table I did not notice any missing channels on the 434000 frequency (didn't look for it either). In order to identify which channels that sits on the 434000 frequency, I installed an old version of DVBLink Server / TVSource. The program allow to easily see what channels sits on which frequencies. Interestingly ebough, DVBLink was able to find a NIT table on 434000. Its a two-step process. First it scans based on 434000 / 6875 / QAM64 and then the user is prompted to select the Network ID (see attached picture 1). I then went on and scanned for channels and again it was able to scan the 434000 frequency and find its channels (refer to pictures 2 and 3). Further into the setup process I was able to identify the three channels on the 434000 frequency (picture 4), and having completed the setup I was able to watch them (picture 5).

Going back to MC25 I noticed that EPG data was missing from the three channels (remember they were already setup during a channel scan completed some time ago before testing out the new NIT scan). Further, I was unable to watch them. I then checked my TV set (so normal TV - not TV via PC software), which has no problem displaying the channels nor their EPG data.

Since a normal TV as well as another software suite has no problems, to me it looks like it is MC25 that has some kind of bug. Why it shows on this particular frequency 434000 I have no clue.

Further, the other frequencies you mentioned failed tuning also failed in DVBLink.

Hope it helps...

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2019, 09:04:13 am »

When scanning based on the 138000 NIT table I did not notice any missing channels on the 434000 frequency (didn't look for it either). In order to identify which channels that sits on the 434000 frequency, I installed an old version of DVBLink Server / TVSource. The program allow to easily see what channels sits on which frequencies. Interestingly ebough, DVBLink was able to find a NIT table on 434000. Its a two-step process. First it scans based on 434000 / 6875 / QAM64 and then the user is prompted to select the Network ID (see attached picture 1). I then went on and scanned for channels and again it was able to scan the 434000 frequency and find its channels (refer to pictures 2 and 3). Further into the setup process I was able to identify the three channels on the 434000 frequency (picture 4), and having completed the setup I was able to watch them (picture 5).

Reading log files from you and other people suggested that NIT is carried on most if not all frequencies.  Your recent logs showed that on any frequency that we could get a lock to, we have NIT.  So the issue is just why we could not tune to certain frequencies, especially the one that the service provider suggested using.

Going back to MC25 I noticed that EPG data was missing from the three channels (remember they were already setup during a channel scan completed some time ago before testing out the new NIT scan). Further, I was unable to watch them. I then checked my TV set (so normal TV - not TV via PC software), which has no problem displaying the channels nor their EPG data.

Are you saying MC previously (MC24 or earlier) was able to scan this frequency and produced three channels on it? 

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2019, 11:36:30 am »

Reading log files from you and other people suggested that NIT is carried on most if not all frequencies.  Your recent logs showed that on any frequency that we could get a lock to, we have NIT.  So the issue is just why we could not tune to certain frequencies, especially the one that the service provider suggested using.

Yes, I agree - seems like the issue is not related to the new NIT scanning feature per se. I think you should ignore the other problematic frequencies besides 434000. As far as I remember, there has always been frequencies that could not be tuned when I used DVBLink

Are you saying MC previously (MC24 or earlier) was able to scan this frequency and produced three channels on it?

Yes - although it might have been set up in MC23, since I haven’t used MC24 for that long before jumping to MC25. Realisticly speaking though, I think I would have noticed if the problem had existed ever since upgrading to MC24.

Whether something has changed with my service provider since then I don’t know. But in any event, a regular TV as well as another software suite is able to tune the frequency today.

ABA

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2019, 12:01:49 pm »

Shoot... problem solved. HDHomerun software was not setup correctly. Instead of having setup modulation for each of QAM64/128/256, I had setup 3x QAM256 (see attached screen dumps). Channels are now tuning just fine and NIT scan on 434000 also works.

Sorry for the inconvenience... :-[

Yaobing

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2019, 12:21:07 pm »

No problem.  I am glad you figured it out.

43400 kHz band is the only one that uses QAM64 modulation!
Pages: [1]   Go Up