INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC24 - library on NAS, not in local  (Read 2176 times)

stratosfera

MC24 - library on NAS, not in local
« on: April 15, 2019, 02:08:04 am »

I installed MC24 on a miniPC with Linux Mint.
I would like to take the library on my Qnap NAS but inside the paths window I don't find the "Browse Network" icon like on Linux.
In practice I only have the ability to take folders locally, (for example inside an HDD attached directly to USB to the miniPC), not in the network and therefore inside my NAS.
Can you describe the procedure for how to do it?

Thank you So much in advance

Andrew

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC24 - library on NAS, not in local
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2019, 02:52:46 am »

I'm going to assume that you are talking about the actual MC Library files that you want to locate on the NAS, and that you aren't talking about the media files.

Don't do it.

Putting the MC Library on a NAS would give you a very bad experience. Apart from a big loss of speed in response time, reliability could also be an issue. A MC Library should ideally be on a local fast drive, preferably an SSD, to get the best results in navigating Views, searching for media, and so on.

It can be done. I believe some people do it, although some of those people switch back to a local Library later, after experiencing issues. Speed is a great benefit of the MC Media Management Library. Don't cripple it. The actual Library isn't very big, so it will usually fit on the boot SSD just fine.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

stratosfera

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2019, 01:59:43 pm »

Hi, thanks for your reply.
I don't understand what you mean. I try to explain the situation better.
I would like the library created by jriver to remain inside the PC. The problem is just that all my music resides inside a NAS. the NAS and the PC are connected to the LAN. when I create the library with JRiver I don't have the possibility to address it to the local NET. I can only address it to the local hard drives of the pc with linux. Is there a solution? THANKS!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2019, 04:48:04 pm »

Ah. Okay, sorry I misunderstood. What you are trying to do is correct.

I'm afraid you might need a Linux person to come along and help though, as I've forgotten most of my Linux knowledge.

What I can tell you is that the MC "paths window" will only browse to an existing location, although it can add a folder if required. You can't type in a location and just save that; you must use browse.
Also, at least on Windows, MC can browse shares created on the network, and select them.

So I guess your issue is that the NAS location is not visible to Linux in some way, such as a share or a drive mapping, and so MC can't browse to it. MC will only see what Linux sees. So if Linux sees the NAS, without using special software such as NAS tools, then MC should see it.

Hopefully, someone who is still using Linux will come along and clarify.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 05:44:54 pm »

What kind of shares does your NAS expose?  If they're samba/cifs shares, you might need to add them to your fstab.

Can you see them in file browser in Mint (called Nemo).  If you can see them in Nemo, MC should be able to see them too. 

stratosfera

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2019, 03:58:57 pm »

Thanks for the answers!
well, Linux sees the NAS and I can comfortably browse all the music that is on the NAS, if I use the system's integrated browser. The linux browser works properly. JRiver has a browser that has no "browse NET". only local. that is the question. The NAS uses samba.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 09:01:23 pm »

Thanks for the answers!
well, Linux sees the NAS and I can comfortably browse all the music that is on the NAS, if I use the system's integrated browser. The linux browser works properly. JRiver has a browser that has no "browse NET". only local. that is the question. The NAS uses samba.

When you say JRiver "has a browser" can you be more specific where you're looking in JRiver (i.e. what browser are you talking about?  The import browser? Something else?)? 

If you go to file-->import can you navigate to and choose the shares?  If you can see them in the native linux file browser they should also be accessible in the import menu.  You shouldn't need to "Browse NET" you can just navigate to whereever the shares are mounted.
Pages: [1]   Go Up