INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Use of the apostrophe in acronyms  (Read 1474 times)

nihilion

Use of the apostrophe in acronyms
« on: April 24, 2019, 08:34:42 pm »

I'm gradually re-ripping my CD's to FLAC and I'm wondering what the best Android music app would be to play FLAC? I currently use PowerAmp.

The plural of "CD" is "CDs." There is no apostrophe. It isn't a possessive and there is no omission. It's just a regular plural. It doesn't matter if it's an acronym or ends in a number.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Use of the apostrophe in acronyms
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2019, 09:49:57 pm »

The plural of "CD" is "CDs." There is no apostrophe. It isn't a possessive and there is no omission. It's just a regular plural. It doesn't matter if it's an acronym or ends in a number.

;D ;D ;D :o

Hey Nihilion, welcome to the forum. What a first post. I can tell you are going to be a lot of fun.

So, what are you selling? Oh, I see. Music. Unless you just have no imagination and copied the band's name.  :P
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:18:04 am »

Washington State University advises otherwise:

https://brians.wsu.edu/2016/05/16/acronyms-and-apostrophes/

The NY Times and the Chicago Manual of Style agree with you, in part:

https://afterdeadline.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/13/faqs-on-style/

swiv3d

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 05:00:01 pm »

The compact disc's surface was scratched - the CD's surface was scratched. Possessive of a noun.
I have lots of compact discs - I have lots of CDs. Plural of a noun.
Anally retentive springs to mind here.  ;D ;D ;D

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 06:12:29 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up