INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: In different situations JRiver is a bit "stiff"  (Read 1642 times)

lello

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
In different situations JRiver is a bit "stiff"
« on: May 04, 2019, 05:08:54 am »

JRiver user from version 23, with great satisfaction. One thing, however, that has always given me some discomfort, and that has not been solved even with the new version, is that in certain situations the player is not as fluid as I would like. For example, when I activate or change the subtitles or change the chapter, the change is not immediate but takes about half a second.

This thing gets worse with the blu ray menus not to mention the BD UHD as it sometimes crashes completely.

It's a normal thing? Does it depend on my hardware? From madvr (I use low settings)?

As a CPU I have an i5 3550 and as a GPU a RX580

Thank you

lello

• MC Beta Team
Re: In different situations JRiver is a bit "stiff"
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2019, 01:12:49 am »

I forgot: if I remove madvr the situation improves, but not completely

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:40:17 am »

I discovered that everything depends on the bitstream. That is, if the decoding is done by the amplifier in bistream mode, the various scene changes or subtitles occur in jerks, whereas if I have it done by JRiver, everything runs smoothly.

Is there any way to solve the small problem or should I keep it that way?

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 11:44:21 am »

I recently changed the HDMI cable waiting to get the new 4k receiver, and I was hoping to fix that too. Unfortunately this was not the case and the thing is becoming annoying: but  everything is going smoothly for you?

If, while watching a movie, especially Blu Ray, I want to go to the next chapter or insert / remove subtitles, JRiver will freeze for 1 or 2 seconds. I can't even tell if it's an audio or video problem.

Thanks

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 03:21:05 pm »

Try lowering the buffers in MC.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2019, 06:07:21 pm »

Bitstreaming is inherently very inflexible. I would not expect the same fluid experience as you get from decoding, where MC has all the power.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 04:37:31 am »

The buffer was already at a minimum, but even when changing, nothing happens.

I wanted to try with another player, to try to understand if the problem was my hardware, so I downloaded MPC-BE by setting it in bitstream and setting madvr as a renderer: the result was a very fluid image with 1 frame repeat after several hours while with jriver I have 1 frame repeat after a few seconds.

I also tried to completely uninstall jriver and reinstall it without changing the basic settings, but even without madvr the problem remains.

Obviously there is something at the software level that makes the player heavy,  :( :'(

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2019, 03:24:14 am »

The buffer was already at a minimum, but even when changing, nothing happens.

I wanted to try with another player, to try to understand if the problem was my hardware, so I downloaded MPC-BE by setting it in bitstream and setting madvr as a renderer: the result was a very fluid image with 1 frame repeat after several hours while with jriver I have 1 frame repeat after a few seconds.

I also tried to completely uninstall jriver and reinstall it without changing the basic settings, but even without madvr the problem remains.

Obviously there is something at the software level that makes the player heavy,  :( :'(
Post madvr OSD screenshot ... if you have frame repeat every second ... it’s possible you set up scaling too high for your hardware

PS. jriver use its own copy of MadVR ... so MC does not share madvr settings with other players ... so it’s possible MPC-BE uses setting that is not as intense compare to what you set for MC
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2019, 09:05:48 am »

The settings of madvr in MPC, are the same as in JRiver and in any case, as I said, even by disabling madvr the problem remains.

By analyzing the madvr OSD better, I first report 1 frame repeat every 1-2 hours and shortly after 1 frame drop every few seconds, or always 1 frame repeat every few second.

Enclosed OSD screenshot

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 10:30:22 am »

Stats look good ... my setup also stutters a bit when I choose subtitles (never bothered me though as I usually choose subtitles at beginning of movie when logos are still flying across screen)

MC uses its own Direct Show filter for subtitle rendering (MPC has its own filter too) ... MC does render subtitles a bit better (smoother edges) which might or might not be the cause of initial stutter

Assuming player renders all characters of the fonts when subtitle is selected ... I imagine higher quality rendering of MC might cause initial stutter

Hendrick is in the process of updating their subtitle filters to improve SSA/ASS subtitle handling ... maybe he can look into it

PS. you can choose another Direct Show subtitle renderer in MC video processing chain instead of MC one ... it might solve your problem but at the cost of subtitle quality
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 02:59:35 am »

RESOLVED! In essence, in the video settings I had set ROHQ to let MC handle the various LAV audio and video decoders. I did several tests with the custom settings and in the end I discovered that I could select my receiver as an audio renderer. Now everything goes smoothly and the vision of the films as a whole is much more fluid. Thanks to those who dedicated their time to me.  :D

lello

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 04:24:44 am »

Now, however, another problem has arisen: the blu ray stops after a few seconds, with the menu mode active. :-[ :'( ?

That is, the menus are seen, the film starts and after a few seconds it stops. By disabling the menus, everything works: what does it depend on?
Pages: [1]   Go Up