INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Exporting to handheld  (Read 1034 times)

al1947

• World Citizen
Exporting to handheld
« on: May 08, 2019, 12:42:47 pm »

I am using “Music/[Filename (path)]\/” as the export path template, with “Filename (name)” as the name template. (Screenshot) My problem is that the [Filename (path)] field carries the folder name from my computer onto my DAP.

Thus: "/Volumes/LaCie/Testing/Michael Tilson Thoma/Mahler_ Symphony No. 6 in/01_Mahler__Symphony_No._6_in_A_minor__I._.flac"

Gets written to DAP as "/Volumes/LaCie/Testing Output/Music/_Volumes_LaCie_Testing_Michael Tilson Thoma_Mahler_ Symphony No. 6 in_/01_Mahler__Symphony_No._6_in_A_minor__I._.flac". 

"/Volumes/LaCie/Testing Output/" and "_Volumes_LaCie_Testing_" are both extraneous.

(shows up in playlist as "./../Music/_Volumes_LaCie_Testing_Michael Tilson Thoma_Mahler_ Symphony No. 6 in_/01_Mahler__Symphony_No._6_in_A_minor__I._.flac")

I want to get the file on the handheld to be "Music/Michael Tilson Thoma/Mahler_ Symphony No. 6 in/01_Mahler__Symphony_No._6_in_A_minor__I._.flac"

How do I do this? What do I change in the path template so that volume information from my Mac doesn't get written to the handheld?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Exporting to handheld
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 12:30:35 pm »

The normal way that the export template gets used is to have the directory contain a fixed path and then a field or two to make subdirectories underneath it.  For example:

Music/[Artist]/[Album]/

This way you'd get album and artist directories which should organize your exported media into a nice structure.  I see that your example is classical, which generally uses something other than just artist and album.  Composer, Work, etc might be used.

I think you are probably wanting to use something like the last two directory names in the Mac path as part of the export path.  I think that's what your example shows.  This can be done with an expression.  You'll probably want to use the FileFolder() function:

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Path_and_Identifier_Functions#FileFolder

If you can figure out a way to get a meaningful path from some of the metadata like Composer or Work or even Artist/Album/etc that might be more straightfordward.

In any case you'll need to play around with this to try to get the expression just right to give you the paths you want.

Good luck!

Brian.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2019, 11:32:45 am »

Having trouble with the filefolder function. To start with:

filefolder()
Returns the name of the file's parent folder.
filefolder([filename,0], 0)
Same as the previous example.

For me, while "filefolder()" works -- creates folders with the album names and puts the tracks inside them. But the "filefolder([filename,0], 0)" notation does not work -- it just generates tracks without album folders.

The same thing happens if I attempt to expand the function to add another level of folders: "filefolder([filename,1], 1)"

It appears that the info in https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Path_and_Identifier_Functions#FileFolder presupposes Windows and, thus, backslashes as folder separator.

However, I am working on a Mac where regular slashes are the separator. Is there a Mac version of that function? Or a way to modify it for Mac?

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2019, 12:53:19 pm »

It's very, very strange.  I've tested this for a few minutes using MC for Linux, which also uses "/" for a path separator instead of the "\" that Windows uses.

I get the same thing you get:  filefolder() with any kind of argument (like [filename]) doesn't work at all in the EXPORT OPTIONS.  It works just fine in an expression column though.  I've seen this behavior going back several years:  Expressions that should work in RM&C and Export do not work.  They work in an expression column, but do not do the same thing in these file specific dialogs.

I'm not sure what to advise here.  Is there a way for you to construct two levels of folder path from other variables you have?  It sorta looks like [Album] is the last folder and the one before it is maybe Conductor or Artist?  That would make this easy.

Or just use Album all by itself?

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2019, 01:34:26 pm »

This turned into a pretty tricky problem, but next build will fix it.

The history:
Fixed: When getting the filename field in an expression, the filename slash character won't be replaced by underscores (only slashes in other fields).
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 10:24:58 pm »

This turned into a pretty tricky problem, but next build will fix it.

The history:
Fixed: When getting the filename field in an expression, the filename slash character won't be replaced by underscores (only slashes in other fields).

Thanks Matt

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 03:42:36 pm »

I've just tested this in MC 25.0.44 for Mac and Filefolder() now works as expected in the handheld sync rules areas.  Yay!

Brian.

al1947

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 11:04:53 am »

Ditto.

For the benefit of those following this thread the syntax I am using is, in options -> handhelds -> Files, paths & more

Audio Path: /Music/filefolder([filename,1], 1)/filefolder()/

Audio Filename Rule: [Filename (name)]

The result on the handheld is /Music/grandparent/parent/filename
Pages: [1]   Go Up