INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Year field different between Windows and Linux version  (Read 1942 times)

liebls

• Recent member
  • Simon
Year field different between Windows and Linux version
« on: May 19, 2019, 02:17:27 pm »

I use the Windows version to manage my library (UI more responsive). I use Linux as the media server and the files are resident on a Linux drive and saved from the Windows version directly to the Linux drive over Samba.

For photos I use the "year" as my primary library field and save to directories named on the year.

For photos that were scanned from old albums rather than taken on a digital camera, I have a specific problem where the year tag shows differently on Linux to on Windows for the same physical file.

To take one specific file by way of example:

File date shown on Windows explorer and Linux file system is 1 Oct 2005 (I guess it was the date I scanned it in).

Year tag on Windows MC is 1987 (I must have manually updated the "Year" tag in in Windows MC as the year when the photo was taken).

Year tag on Linux is 2005.

If I am looking in the right place in the physical file I see <Date>3178</Date>

Any idea what is happening here or how I can get it consistent?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Year field different between Windows and Linux version
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:06:46 pm »

You really have made a rod for your own back by using two separate, Windows and Linux, Libraries.

First, the <Date>3178</Date> you listed isn't correct. That is 12th September 1908 (09/12/1908 in US format). You missed a zero on the end. 31780 is 3rd January 1987 (01/03/1987 in US format). As this is a scanned image, you probably did enter 1987 as the [Year] in Windows MC, and at the same time MC updated the [Date] field to 1987. MC will do that.

The Windows and Linux file system dates of 1 Oct 2005 would be the file system "Date Created" or "Date Modified" date. The [Date] tag is completely different. Have a look at all the date fields supported on the file system and in MC.

Next, you are using two different Libraries, so you can have two different values in the [Date] field, one in each Library, unless you are forcing updates to the separate Libraries. So you changed the [Date] tag to 1987 in Windows MC, but either;
1. You don't have Windows MC set up to write the [Date] field to the file tag (that would be unusual because I'm pretty sure by defaults MC is set up to write that field to the tag in the file), or
2. Windows wrote the updated date to the file, but you don't have Linux MC set to "Update for external changes" in Auto Import and have Auto Import running.

On Linux, select the example file, right-click and select "Library Tools > Update Library (from tags)". The Linux MC [Year] will probably change to 1987, because the <Date>31780</Date> tag in the file would indicate that the correct, 01/03/1987 value, is in the file.

If that worked, you will need to do the same for all problems files, and then set up Auto Import to run and update for external file changes.

In case you are wondering, I call metadata in a MC Library "fields" and metadata in a file "Tags".

PS: Search for "Tag Dump" in the forum, and then set that up in both your MC Libraries, and use that to check what dates are actually in the files, if you haven't already done that.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up