INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Playing live from USB turntable  (Read 771 times)

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
Playing live from USB turntable
« on: June 01, 2019, 05:07:33 pm »

I’ve been trying to set up Media Center on a friend’s Mac (High Sierra) to play audio live from a USB turntable. I’m not sure about if it can be done but thought I’d ask anyway. My understanding of the issue is that MC doesn’t really have a way to select inputs. These have to be provided by the OS at the driver level. As such, if the driver doesn’t offer the ability to patch the USB input to the system, MC cannot see it and render it. Please correct me if my understanding is off.

Is there an option on the Mac to enable MC to work with a live audio stream from USB on the Mac? I would love to get this working somehow.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Playing live from USB turntable
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 10:31:07 am »

MC for Windows has a driver that lets it become a virtual sound card for things to play to.  That virtual sound card is then routed into MC's engine where it can do audio processing.

But that's Windows only.  Does not work on Mac or Linux as far as I am aware.  So I don't think there's any way to route any kind of audio from external sources into MC.

For doing DJ type work with a controller surface you might look into dedicated DJ applications.  If you mean a real turntable spinning vinyl records, then I'm not sure what to recommend.

Good luck,

Brian.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 11:03:25 am »

Thanks, that's what I figured. This was actually part of a larger effort to try and have MC stream a USB turntable to his Sonos system. I'm not sure that would have worked either, but we were able to get JRiver to stream music to the Sonos via DLNA with no problems. Ah well, it was a bit of a stretch anyway. Thanks.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 02:56:42 pm »

Sonos supports AirPlay right?  Just set up the speaker or speakers on the Mac for AirPlay and then fire up the turntable app.  Assuming it's running some kind of app on the Mac.

Brian.

Mike Foran

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 04:47:42 pm »

Sonos supports AirPlay right?  Just set up the speaker or speakers on the Mac for AirPlay and then fire up the turntable app.  Assuming it's running some kind of app on the Mac.

Brian.

Interesting! I’ve forwarded your response to him and I’ll report back if it works. Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up