INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which tag fields does Play Doctor look at?  (Read 598 times)

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
which tag fields does Play Doctor look at?
« on: June 07, 2019, 12:00:25 pm »

I've been adding more and more custom tag fields to help organize my library, so I'm curious if moving some of the information out of standard tags and into custom tags will make Play Doctor less useful. Does Play Doctor look at all tags when deciding songs might fit together well? Or does it only use the default standard tags? (in which case, I might move some custom fields back into the closest related default field)

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: which tag fields does Play Doctor look at?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2019, 04:42:47 pm »

It's a closely guarded secret, but we have gleaned, over the  years, that genre, rating and bpm are heavily involved in the algorithm.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2019, 07:01:12 pm »

So I should probably move my subgenres out of the custom Subgenre tag field I made and add them to Genre. I was trying to keep Genre clean by only using "Rock" or "Pop" and then using Subgenre for "Alternative; Industrial; Drum and Bass; etc" but if Play Doctor won't look at those then I need to make that change. Thanks!

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2019, 11:59:04 pm »

I have mine in Genre > Sub Genre and do not notice any detrimental effect on Play Doctor.

AlanDistro

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2019, 09:03:31 am »

That's good to hear, saves me a bit of copy and pasting work. :)

It's too bad we can't tell Play Doctor to include certain fields in addition to whatever it's doing by default. For example, I also have a "Band Members" custom tag field so when I search for Steven Wilson, in addition to his solo releases, I also see results for Blackfield, Porcupine Tree, and No-Man (just some of his various side projects). I'd like Play Doctor to know those are all by the same person, even if the genres and artist names are different. Or again, if I type Roger Waters into Play Doctor, I want it to know Pink Floyd (well, before 1985 anyway) is the same thing.

kr4

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2019, 03:14:48 pm »

It's a closely guarded secret, but we have gleaned, over the  years, that genre, rating and bpm are heavily involved in the algorithm.
Three tags to which I rarely pay any attention.   ;D
Kal Rubinson
"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
Pages: [1]   Go Up