INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange menu behavior  (Read 779 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Strange menu behavior
« on: June 18, 2019, 04:30:51 pm »

I get the following strange menu behavior with build 50 on Ubuntu, with two different desktop environments:

-All drop down menus in the i3 tiling window manager pull up as new windows and new tiles. Other applications such as Sublime Text have working drop down menus, so I think it is a bug. (Understanding that i3 tiling window manager is a very strange testing environment.)

-In Gnome Desktop, drop down menus work fine. Pop up menus, however, lose focus with errant mouse clicks and dissappear behind the larger MC window. The program then seems unresponsive until you  bring the smaller pop up menu back into focus manually.

PS Looking forward to Cloudplay!!!!

bob

• Administrator
Re: Strange menu behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 09:35:26 am »

I get the following strange menu behavior with build 50 on Ubuntu, with two different desktop environments:

-All drop down menus in the i3 tiling window manager pull up as new windows and new tiles. Other applications such as Sublime Text have working drop down menus, so I think it is a bug. (Understanding that i3 tiling window manager is a very strange testing environment.)

Not sure about this one. MC uses a very simple straightforward way of interacting with X. It has no knowledge (or need) of a window manager or desktop at all.
Window managers typically have a bunch of focus related tweaks. You might want to check those.
-In Gnome Desktop, drop down menus work fine. Pop up menus, however, lose focus with errant mouse clicks and disappear behind the larger MC window. The program then seems unresponsive until you  bring the smaller pop up menu back into focus manually.
This is something that's been around in linux MC forever and which I've worked on a few times. The window manager changes the stacking when you click away from a popup menu and MC's not currently aware of that. The only window which has input focus is the popup menu so you can't move or otherwise put input into the main window (BTW this is the same behavior as on Mac and Windows except that Windows keeps the input window on top).
I tried keeping track of the popup windows and forcing a restack when this happens but it's not quite that simple because many of MC's windows are really collections of lots of smaller windows. Will probably play with this again in the future as time permits.
PS Looking forward to Cloudplay!!!!
Me too!

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Strange menu behavior
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 04:39:56 pm »

Thanks! These are helpful answers, I've enjoyed 6+ months plus using the Linux version exclusively -- there are some quirks and I'll watch out for errant X-dialog windows.

Along the same thought, I may move away from tiling window managers anyway as they add more problems than they solve for almost everything.

Cheers and have a good weekend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up