INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 25 madvr stutter  (Read 6692 times)

Guybrush

• World Citizen
MC 25 madvr stutter
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:14:56 pm »

I just updated from mc21 to 25, and everything is great except madvr now stutters like crazy. I have an rtx 2080 that runs only at 30% max. It's not being taxed. Stats show no glitches, no dropped frames, etc. Refresh rate is an exact match. I've turned the queues up and down. Hardware can fill the largest queues without struggle. No stuttering on red October standard, only HQ. I've turned the settings way down on madvr but still stutters as long as it is enabled. Any thoughts? This didn't happen on mc21 with high madvr settings enabled.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC 25 madvr stutter
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 02:14:38 am »

I think there is some specific driver to use with the 20x0 series to avoid stutter, don't recall which one though. It will be in one of the avs or doom9 threads somewhere.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 06:06:19 am »

What happens if you use MC's Red October HQ with the default MC version of madVR and no modifications?

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 07:40:03 am »

What happens if you use MC's Red October HQ with the default MC version of madVR and no modifications?
I am using the default version of what came with mc25. I've even tried the prebuilt quality settings. I had to reimage my PC so I thought that was a good time to upgrade to mc25.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 07:41:15 am »

I think there is some specific driver to use with the 20x0 series to avoid stutter, don't recall which one though. It will be in one of the avs or doom9 threads somewhere.
Thanks, I'll check those forums and report back if I find anything.

Ekpen

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 10:31:42 pm »

Greetings:

It may not be madvr, it is probably the newly introduced Hardware acceleration.
I have sent PM to Hendrik about it. He does not think he has to reply or response to this issue.
The PM sent around 05/25/2019.

I have an AMD graphic card  R9 in my AIO Windows server, uhd freezes, video tearing.
He has all the info regarding my GPU, yet more than 5 updates have come and gone without addressing this issue.
1080P videos such as Fast and furious 1 and 4 will not play video at all.

I will try the Red October standard setting to see if this will resolve my issue.

George

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2019, 05:04:39 am »

Please ask questions on the forum, that's what its for. We don't provide 1:1 support in PMs. Unless a developer asks you to PM them with detailed information, please stick to the forums.

For the record, there is no "new" hardware acceleration for playback. In fact there really haven't been playback-related video changes for a while now.

Also, please don't hijack threads with unrelated complaints.

For the issue in this thread, unfortunately some people seem to be experiencing the stuttering with 20-series cards as reported here. Some people have cured it with specific drivers, some have done changes to the NVIDIA control panel that help them, but there doesn't seem to be a universal recipe yet.

Reading some on the Doom9 forums might give you some hints to try. The latest report was that using Standard drivers instead of the "new" DCH drivers (which Windows would install on its own) helped at least in one case as well.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Ekpen

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2019, 11:21:20 am »

Please ask questions on the forum, that's what its for. We don't provide 1:1 support in PMs. Unless a developer asks you to PM them with detailed information, please stick to the forums.

For the record, there is no "new" hardware acceleration for playback. In fact there really haven't been playback-related video changes for a while now.

For the issue in this thread, unfortunately some people seem to be experiencing the stuttering with 20-series cards as reported here. Some people have cured it with specific drivers, some have done changes to the NVIDIA control panel that help them, but there doesn't seem to be a universal recipe yet.

Reading some on the Doom9 forums might give you some hints to try. The latest report was that using Standard drivers instead of the "new" DCH drivers (which Windows would install on its own) helped at least in one case as well.

Most forum members do not seem to get involve with what I am doing with my system. I am involved with dlna and uhd playback. In 2017, when I reported it on the forums, a forum member insulted me so I had to take my issues privately to ct BOB. Also Bob sent you my info after requesting it, hoping it will be looked in to by you.
PM is designed for this type of communication.
You got my info via your colleague, correct ? Is that not enough.
Now as of today, i am still having issues.
I would suggest you check your code for this  hardware acceleration, or it could be something else on this AIO server.
Uhd movies do not play anymore. UHD played "VERY" nicely during the early stages of MC 25XXX life cycle.

I do not think I am hijacking this thread.
My issue could be related to graphic card or its settings, who knows?

I would suggest you try to improve your two way communication.

If you do make attempts to look in to, thank you, if not I will not bother you anymore.
Uhd issues reported since 2017, has not been solved, when it was solved briefly, I wrote to thank BOB, now the issue is back, you are not even making attempts to help resolve it.

Thanks.

George

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2019, 11:43:09 am »

Please start your own thread in the appropriate section to report your problems. You are using DLNA, this thread is about local playback. These are 100% different cases. And again, we do not provide private support, because there is a good chance in the future someone else may have a similar problem - so if its in public, they might read it and find out what the solution is.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2019, 02:40:25 pm »

I changed from optimal to adaptive power mode in Nvidia control panel and the problem improved, but is definitely not gone. For some reason max performance makes it worse, which doesn't make sense. Also, I have to keep the CPU/GPU queues in the low-mid range. Problem gets worse with high queues even though the hardware can keep up. I have yet to roll back the driver but will try that next.

millst

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 12:18:53 pm »

Counterintuitive, but the adaptive mode is almost always less problematic than max performance or optimal. Some have speculated that it has to do with the bursty workload of madVR. I think 385.28 is still the recommended driver if you don't game [or care about security]. I believe that Windows 10 focus mode has been causing people problems, too.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2019, 02:19:57 am »

One solution that seems to have come up is disabling D3D11 mode in madVR
Open the madVR settings -> rendering -> general settings -> Disable "use Direct3D 11 for presentation"

It has a few small downsides, but probably nothing too critical compared to the stuttering. Hopefully NVIDIA fixes it or madshi finds a solution to fix it properly.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2019, 11:04:07 pm »

One solution that seems to have come up is disabling D3D11 mode in madVR
Open the madVR settings -> rendering -> general settings -> Disable "use Direct3D 11 for presentation"

It has a few small downsides, but probably nothing too critical compared to the stuttering. Hopefully NVIDIA fixes it or madshi finds a solution to fix it properly.
I'm hoping for a fix. The D3D11 mode off makes the screen flash constantly. It's not watchable. Not sure why that is different in my setup. Even the gains from the adaptive power mode are getting worse now. I'm pretty frustrated with my setup right now.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2019, 11:15:54 pm »

Even the gains from the adaptive power mode are getting worse now.

That sounds like something completely different is going on. Like a weak power supply.

How good is your power supply?
New or old? (I've had lower quality supplies deteriorate so much over time that they just couldn't hold the voltages within tolerance, or couldn't supply enough power.)
Platinum quality? (I always go Platinum these days. They last very well. Currently a Seasonic SS-660XP, as per my signature.)
Have you added more drives or other components without an upgrade?

Check your power usage using this site: https://outervision.com/power-supply-calculator
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2019, 11:06:29 pm »

I'm actually mostly ok with the state of it now. I lowered the queues and increased the settings to up the render time. Now it's less bursty and the stutter is almost all gone. I monitor the GPU clock and it is more stable.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2019, 10:34:31 pm »

Just in case others have this problem... My latest update is that my settings changes for whatever reason didn't fix the problem for long. I just rolled back the driver and that seems to be a better fix. I was running on 430.xx and from the doom9 forum learned I need to be on 418.xx or earlier. Looks like 419.xx broke it.

osuchamp02

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2020, 09:38:02 am »

I am running JR ver 25.0.114 on win10 with a RTX 2070.  I also suffered from stuttering. 

If I use let the 3d application decide settings in my Nvidia control panel the play back stutters. 

If I switch to advanced settings an for vertical sync from let the app decide to the on setting the stutter goes away. 

I hope this helps someone as it took me months to figure it.     

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2020, 11:14:46 am »

Users who are experiencing micro stutter and uses Madvr with a Nvidia 20xx-card can try this as well.

In MadVr settings under rendering -> windowed mode, set "how many video frames shall be presented in advanced" to 1
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S

THU22

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2020, 02:39:31 pm »

Users who are experiencing micro stutter and uses Madvr with a Nvidia 20xx-card can try this as well.

In MadVr settings under rendering -> windowed mode, set "how many video frames shall be presented in advanced" to 1

This actually seems to help!

I have been seeing random micro-stutters during video playback (MPC-HC + madVR), even though there were no frame drops or repeats. I have been using CUVID + ReClock, so they were not that bad, but still noticeable.
Recently I disabled ReClock, as I am trying out bitstreaming and I found timings for accurate 23.976 Hz refresh rate. Without ReClock the stutters got worse (still using CUVID), and with software decoding or DXVA they are insane and video playback is unwatchable.

Switching from DX11 to DX9 rendering eliminates any stutters, but HDR does not work in DX9.

Fortunately setting presented frames to 1 seems to have eliminated the problem.

I do have an RTX 2070 SUPER, by the way. I do not think I had any stutters on my 1080 before.

Guybrush

• World Citizen
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2020, 12:31:11 pm »

I've been having more stutter problems off and on with my 2080, depends on the specific movie most often. I tried this fix and it seems to help quite a bit. Thanks for posting!

arcspin

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2020, 02:50:55 am »

Hi,
Glad to help.

Here are a collection of settings that may help in battling the stutter problem.

In Nvidia Control panel and under manage 3D settings:
Change the Vertical sync to "ON".
Change the Power management mode to "Adaptive".

In madVR
Set (in madVR, under rendering - Windowed mode) present frames in advance to 1. (you can try other numbers as well, some have had good results with presenting 3 frames in advanced)
You can also try to disable (in madVR, rendering - general settings) use Direct3D 11 for presentation.
Try experimenting with queue sizes as well, I have had good results when increasing the CPU queue size to 24 and GPU queue size to 16.

The first three solved the micro stutter for me using a 2080 graphics card.
Hardware: Intel Core i5-8600K 16GB RAM, ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 8GB DUAL OC
Software: Windows 10 Home 64-bit, version 2004, JRiver MC 29, MadVr 0.92.17 (Beta 113), NVIDIA driver 457.09
Projector: JVC DLA-I X5500 (RS420, X570R) -
Screen: DNP Supernova 08-85
Processor: Anthem AVM 70
Power amp: XTZ A2-400 for Front & Center - XTZ A2-300 for Surround & Height channels
Speakers: Arendal 1723 S Monitor for Front & Center, Linn Unik for Front Height, Rear Height, Surround & Surround back. Elipson Planet M for Top Middle.
Sub: Arendal 1723 1S
Pages: [1]   Go Up