INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with JRemote and streaming to my phone  (Read 4576 times)

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: I really need some help with JRemote and streaming to my phone
« Reply #50 on: July 04, 2019, 09:10:27 pm »

ISPs are just retailers. In fact, they are now called Retail Service Providers!

Indeed, but I guess they are retailers not resellers. They have some input into how you use the service and if you don't like it go somewhere else.

I am with Exetel, a 50/20 plan that so far I am very happy with. Stability and speed have been excellent. I cut over from my previous ISP after they screwed me on a downtime refund claim. Was with them for 15 years, so much for customer loyalty counting for anything.

Since I read the fine print and found that unless you request otherwise you sign up for Carrier NAT, I found that some ISP's do this and some do not. I can understand the driver as it saves on IP addresses and certainly not everyone is going to need a static IP.

Having said that they were very good and very fast in cutting me over to a static address once I stated my case.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #51 on: July 04, 2019, 11:16:24 pm »

It might be time for JRiver to implement IPv6 support using the Access Key. It only supports IPv4 at the moment, which is a driver for this issue.

I'm with Telstra on NBN via HFC and my router has both an IPv4 and IPv6 address. DNS is still only IPv4 though. Telstra doesn't seem to use a Carrier Grade NAT for fixed broadband connections, but do for mobile broadband. Sigh.

Sorry for the off topic discussion Nemick.  ;)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2019, 07:42:26 am »

I've been reading this thread and wanted to respond yesterday but simply didn't have time. Now I don't need to, because you have been doing a great job Bryan.

I find it strange that an ISP would run a NAT, or block a port, that would stop the MC Access Key from working. I guess things get done differently in America. Anyway, I can help check if that is the issue without waiting for the Static Public IP Address to be set up.

Nemick, if you are happy to test this, do these steps:

0. Turn your firewalls back on, for your Mac-mini and on the router. Leave them on after this test as well. They need to be on, and they won't stop MC working, at least not without advising you.
1. Open a browser on any computer and enter the URL https://www.grc.com/shieldsup  Yes, it is a safe site. I guarantee it. It is a well-respected site for testing all things internet and security.
2. You can read the displayed page if you like, but it may just confuse you. You will notice that it knows something about you already. When ready, click the "Proceed" button.
3. On the next screen you will see an open data entry box between two rows of wide buttons, just below the words "You may select any service from among those listed above . . .". Enter 52199 in there, without quotes.
4. On that same screen click the "Lookup Specific Port Information" button.
5. On the next screen click the "Probe THIS Port" button.
6. On the next screen the important information is the Status column. It should be showing as Open, and with a red background.

See the attached image for what my results of the above show. The red xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx will show your external IP Address.

If the Status above shows either "Blocked" or "Stealth", then your ISP is the problem, and the Static Public IP Address might fix that. But you said JRemote used to work, and then stopped a couple of months ago. I don't know why your ISP would make a change that stopped you being able to access your MC Server from the internet, but maybe they beefed up their security. Unless you changed ISP, or got that new router, around the same time?

Given that you have now set up an IP Address Reservation for your Mac-Mini, and are Port Forwarding to it, if Port 52199 shows as Open in the above test, then JRemote should be working again. By all means test using the MC Access Key test method. It doesn't give much information when it gives a positive result though. See the second image below.

I would also test JRemote again just to be sure. WiFi off on your phone, open JRemote and try to connect to your Mac-Mini MC Server using the Access Key method.

I hope the above isn't too confusing. You are doing well working through the complex issues of networks Nemick. Keep at it. You are nearly there!

Here's a screen shot of what I got after following your excellent directions, so I seem to beat the mercy of my ISP......for now

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2019, 05:36:19 pm »

Yep. Hopefully the Static Public IP Address will fix it.

Your ISP must have moved you to a Carrier Grade NAT a couple of months ago, to start all this happening. You may want to ask them that at some stage. You might get your Static IP Address for free if it is required to support your internal server (MC).
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2019, 05:49:40 pm »

Yep. Hopefully the Static Public IP Address will fix it.

Your ISP must have moved you to a Carrier Grade NAT a couple of months ago, to start all this happening. You may want to ask them that at some stage. You might get your Static IP Address for free if it is required to support your internal server (MC).

I will most certainly make a point of asking them, although I could also see this as another way that any of these ISP's can gouge the average customer for an extra $10.00 per month. Greed is rampant now that more people than ever are streaming entertainment

nemick

• Recent member
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2019, 01:03:06 pm »

Can someone tell me what the response should be when I test the connection to JRiver in the Media Network setting with the access code? Last week it was saying that it could not be reached from the internet but I could listen locally. Now it says something about being able to use the access code to listen from any client? I think this means that my server and JRiver can connect. Thats a step forward, but I still can't connect with JRemote from outside my network. I'm becoming increasingly confused.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Help with JRemote and streaming to my phone
« Reply #56 on: July 11, 2019, 07:18:36 pm »

Now it says something about being able to use the access code to listen from any client? I think this means that my server and JRiver can connect.

Yes, that means that the test worked, and you should be able to connect to the server and play music. I put an image of the successful response in this post: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,121305.msg838941.html#msg838941

1. You ran that on the Mac-mini server, correct?
2. Can you now still connect to the server from JRemote on your phones while on WiFi, correct?
3. Assuming that you have the Static Public IP Address, have you run the ShieldsUp test I documented in the same post above to see what the result is? (If not, please do.)

Let me know the result of 3. above, and if it is now working we can try to address getting JRemote to connect when not on WiFi again.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2019, 11:23:40 am »

It might be time for JRiver to implement IPv6 support using the Access Key. It only supports IPv4 at the moment, which is a driver for this issue.

I'm with Telstra on NBN via HFC and my router has both an IPv4 and IPv6 address. DNS is still only IPv4 though. Telstra doesn't seem to use a Carrier Grade NAT for fixed broadband connections, but do for mobile broadband. Sigh.

Sorry for the off topic discussion Nemick.  ;)
Thanks for tweaking my memory though RoderickGI.
I'm trying to relate this to an IPv6 issue we discovered a few years back when some phone carriers switched to IPv6 only on the phone network. We added the DNS name from reverse IPv4 DNS (if it resolves) to the access key server so that it will be tried (first IIRC).
When JRemote or MC does the connect via the IPv4 reverse address DNS name, if it's on a IPv6 only network that connect gets done using IPv6 and eventually to IPv4 through the NAT you mentioned. So it seems that NAT doesn't get done for fixed broadband?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2019, 05:53:50 pm »

So it seems that NAT doesn't get done for fixed broadband?

Some fixed broadband in Australia seem to use it, usually the cheaper or smaller providers. The majors don't seem to do it. Certainly, my Telstra connection doesn't seem to do it.

I would guess that if a carrier uses a Carrier Grade NAT, but doesn't use IPv6 in parallel, that the connection still fails. But I'm a bit out of my depth at that level of network management.  ?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Looking Busy
Re: Help with JRemote and streaming to my phone
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2019, 07:39:23 pm »

CGNAT is used by most small to medium ISPs in Australia for residential customers, and a quick look online tells me in Europe/UK as well.

There has been a bit of a pushback from Europol as it hinders proper host tracing: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2017/10/europol-calls-internet-providers-end-cgnat-ip-address-sharing.html

IPV6 is at least been spoken about and it when it happens would seem to signal the end of CGNAT, this from the unfortunately named "Aussie Broadband":

Aussie Broadband is committed to delivering IPv6 as soon as possible, currently we are testing the deployment of IPv6 on selected connections and we look forward to sharing more news about this deployment when it is ready to be extended. Unfortunately we are not able to delay the roll-out of CGNAT until this is ready due to the limited addresses that are available.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up