INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: full volume bug while using internal volume, also instability after sleep  (Read 1903 times)

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck

Please help, this is the worst kind of bug possible causing full volume, clipping and possible system damage. I've been using MC24 as my main system for about 4 months now, and I've noticed that after mac mini os 10.9.6 wakes from sleep, it sometimes doesn't play. No big deal, just close and restart. But tonight, it did play, but at full volume!  :o :o After turning it off, I checked and volume was still set to internal as desired. I think the full volume started after I double clicked in the volume control to raise it to about 32% or just after when I went to click tools to make a change. log file attached.

When trying to read log, I noticed that I'm using my MC22 library. Could that be related somehow?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Turn on Volume Protection.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck

Thanks for the reply, it was on at 80% and clearly didn't help. 80% is right at clipping, and this was much more. After going back into mc24, we were sure that it only started after the tools > option menu was open, and I found that the Audio setting had changed from bel Canto to core audio. Maybe my finger slipped on the track pad. I'm just used to it not working at all if that's set incorrectly.

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck

Also found that all upsampling had somehow been reset back to default sample rates, and I'm sure I didn't do that. Back to thinking it was some weird bug, that reset some items under Audio and DSP..

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

Do you mean your "Internal volume reference level" and/or "Startup volume" was set to 80%?

I mean you should have "Options > Audio > Volume > Volume Protection" checked, so that you can't accidentally double click and increase volume to some high setting. With Volume Protection on you can only increase volume in small increments.

You shouldn't have MC and any external volume control, if you have one, set so that you get clipping at 80%. That sort of defeats the purpose. I'll let the audio experts around here address that though. That's not me.

Sometimes some settings can be "lost" during an upgrade. I saw some of that going MC24 to MC25. Nothing critical or as basic as the output device though. Restoring a Library Backup from the earlier version, with settings, usually fixes it. Or just check through your settings.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

danfl75

• Junior Woodchuck

Do you mean your "Internal volume reference level" and/or "Startup volume" was set to 80%?
No, neither, I meant Volume Protection was already turned on and Max Vol was set to 80%. Startup vol is set to 15%.
With Volume Protection on you can only increase volume in small increments.
Thanks, I wondered where that was turned on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up