INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Long delay when loading device (phone)  (Read 701 times)

seanmcdougall

• Recent member
Long delay when loading device (phone)
« on: July 10, 2019, 12:36:28 pm »

Hi, I have a lot of music on my phone's SD card and when I try to transfer music from JRiver it takes several minutes for it to load the device. I just wondered why it is necessary as I could move the files using Explorer in just a few seconds. The only reason why I persevere is that I store the files in FLAC format and want JRiver to do the conversion.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Long delay when loading device (phone)
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 09:01:11 pm »

I assume that you are connecting the phone to your PC to do that transfer?

The Handheld Sync function checks the phone internal memory/SD card for changes in files before it starts the sync process, so that it only syncs changes, and not all files all over again. MC is actually managing the synchronisation process, rather than just copying files. That includes deleting files no longer in the settings (via Playlists), updating files that have changed, and adding new files, but not re-copying existing files. Using Windows Explorer just copies over the files you choose to copy over, and you would have to do all the files/version/updates management yourself.

Because you have a lot of files on the phone, it takes a while to do the check, and update the database it stores on the phone. Back and forwards communication with a phone isn't all that fast.

You could speed up the process by removing the SD card from your phone, plugging it into a fast memory card reader and connecting it to you PC, and then using Handheld Sync to update the SD card.

Or you could sync to a location on your hard disk, which would be fast, and then copy the files to your phone, which would be fast, but unless you only copy files recently updated, may take longer than just connecting the phone and letting MC do its thing.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up