INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DSD to PCM Question  (Read 1338 times)

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
DSD to PCM Question
« on: July 15, 2019, 06:05:22 pm »

So, I have a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital (which supports sample rates up to 768 kHz,) and when I attempt to use JRiver's on-the-fly conversion of DSD to 352.8 kHz, I get an error saying "Playback could not be started on the output 'Direct Sound' using the format '352.8 kHz 2ch.' This confuses me a bit because I actually have the DAC set to this sample rate in Windows.

In addition to this, if I attempt to play a DSD file and I get this error, it won't let me play any other file in JRiver until I change my sample rate to a different one, then back to 352.8 kHz. This doesn't occur at any other sample rate, and the program tells me that playing a DSD file at 176.4 kHz would work, then it gives me the same "Playback could not be started" error.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
Re: DSD to PCM Question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 06:20:43 pm »

How are you connecting your computer to the DAC? An asio usb connection would work but coaxial and spdif are only supported to 192 MHz on that particular DAC.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2019, 06:23:09 pm »

How are you connecting your computer to the DAC? An asio usb connection would work but coaxial and spdif are only supported to 192 MHz on that particular DAC.
I'm using the USB connection. I don't want to use ASIO in this case because I want to listen to said music while doing other things regarding audio on my PC. This should be possible due to the DAC being able to output this sample rate through the selection in Windows (and the sample rate, when selected in Windows, is reflected on the DACs display properly).

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2019, 06:26:24 pm »

Asio is the way to go if you want to listen to high MHz audio output.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2019, 06:28:07 pm »

Asio is the way to go if you want to listen to high MHz audio output.
Should it not be possible to listen to these files as long as Windows is outputting in that sample rate?

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2019, 06:32:55 pm »

What exactly are your audio output settings in windows and in  JRiver MC?

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2019, 06:37:42 pm »

What exactly are your audio output settings in windows and in  JRiver MC?
In Windows, I have the output set to 24 bit (issue happens with 16 and 32 bit also), 352800 Hz. In JRiver, I have it set to use Direct Sound, no Bitstreaming, and no Output Format DSP.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2019, 06:41:39 pm »

I would suggest you try the asio driver for your dac and see if it works OK for the music files you want to play. What other audio do you want to hear while listening to hi-res audio ?

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2019, 06:42:56 pm »

I would suggest you try the asio driver for your dac and see if it works OK for the music files you want to play. What other audio do you want to hear while listening to hi-res audio ?
Notifications from different apps. I can confirm using any exclusive mode (ASIO or WASAPI) works fine, but then I can't hear other applications.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2019, 06:50:55 pm »

Don't those other apps have visual notifications? I know mine do. Do you really want to listen to hi-res music with blips and blurps coming in every few seconds?

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 06:52:36 pm »

Don't those other apps have visual notifications? I know mine do. Do you really want to listen to hi-res music with blips and blurps coming in every few seconds?
It's only every so often, but yes I'd like to hear my notifications.

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2019, 06:54:23 pm »

End of conversation!

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2019, 05:12:15 pm »

Any help with this? I'm still confused that I can't play this sample rate through Direct Sound.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2019, 08:26:13 pm »

DSD and high sample rate PCM are usually used by people looking for high quality audio. Your DAC handles native DSD and high sample rate PCM. It is a very capable DAC for the price.

When playing high quality audio, one of the goals is to be sure that the actual bits get to the DAC unchanged.

Direct Sound is a Microsoft interface that takes in the input signal and changes it in unknown ways. It is required if you want to have your audio also produce messages and sounds from Windows - that is shared audio.  But it also changes the audio in unknown ways.  I would be surprised if it it even functions at 352 Khz.

Using Direct Sound and DSD or high sample rate PCM are usually seen as mutual exclusive.  They are for much different purposes.

If you want to use Direct Sound so you can hear the occasional OS messages,  you should probably just use MC DSP Studio to resample everything to 44 or 48 KHz. Then, presumably, their should be no problem. But, if you want the best sound you can get, then use ASIO with your DAC, probably using DSD direct to your DAC.

MrEWhite

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2019, 10:31:32 am »

DSD and high sample rate PCM are usually used by people looking for high quality audio. Your DAC handles native DSD and high sample rate PCM. It is a very capable DAC for the price.

When playing high quality audio, one of the goals is to be sure that the actual bits get to the DAC unchanged.

Direct Sound is a Microsoft interface that takes in the input signal and changes it in unknown ways. It is required if you want to have your audio also produce messages and sounds from Windows - that is shared audio.  But it also changes the audio in unknown ways.  I would be surprised if it it even functions at 352 Khz.

Using Direct Sound and DSD or high sample rate PCM are usually seen as mutual exclusive.  They are for much different purposes.

If you want to use Direct Sound so you can hear the occasional OS messages,  you should probably just use MC DSP Studio to resample everything to 44 or 48 KHz. Then, presumably, their should be no problem. But, if you want the best sound you can get, then use ASIO with your DAC, probably using DSD direct to your DAC.

Ah, I would've thought as long as Direct Sound supported it, it should output in that format properly. It actually goes a bit higher than the mention 352.8 kHz as shown here:

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2019, 08:11:34 pm »

Notifications from programs that make sounds seem like a problem when those sounds are being produced by a music system that might be playing at a high volume.  It wouldn't be fun at all to be playing a good song nice loudly and hear "bong" at the same volume level.  The "bong" or "boop" or whatever noise would be very loud and obnoxious.  I've had this happen and it's not good.

You might consider doing something differently, like using your on board sound card and a cheap PC speaker (or two) just for notifications.  Make the sound card the windows sound device.  Then you'll get all of your notification sounds through the little speakers and at the volume that you intend.  As opposed to the volume you happen to be listening to music at.

MC can then use your DAC in exclusive mode, using ASIO for best sound quality.  So you get both the things you want *and* more control over the way notifications are delivered.  Seems like a decent compromise to me.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up