INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Handling empty fields EPG  (Read 707 times)

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
Handling empty fields EPG
« on: July 31, 2019, 05:18:12 am »

Great day to all of you, Yaobing,

Question - topic I've noticed recently, if already handled on the forum i do apologize:

Some TV (DVBS2 in my case) channels aren't broadcasting 24/7.
Mainly the EPG data will be empty when the broadcast isn't happening and so not selectable in MC = perfect.
But I've noticed also some cases where the EPG fields are empty but positive selectable in the GUI.
Once such a blank field is selected a black screen will be shown, logical because no program going on.

Two questions from my side:
-How is the difference been made when handling or supplying the EPG data ? Referring to both scenarios as above.
-Would it make sense to not allow the selection of blank programs as such ?

Thanks !

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: Handling empty fields EPG
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2019, 07:47:48 am »

We always create dummy entries for time slots where program info is not available.  That includes when the channel is not broadcasting.

The dummy entries always say "Programming info not available" and can be selected.  This works well for programs that have missing information but can actually be tuned to.  If you use on-line EPG data, usually the guide will say "Off air" when the station is not broadcasting.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Mans

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2019, 09:49:12 am »

Thanks Yaobing,

Makes indeed sense.
As we can't be 100% sure an empty field does mean non-broadcasting.

Am i correct to think the difference between "no broadcast" and just missing/wrong EPG data can't be verified due the fact a tuner nore the 'handling' equipment can't see the difference at the carrier right ? As long the transponder is active with/or without 'content'.

So guessing those rare black/blank screens will something which is always possible to happen.

Thanks for your help,

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2019, 03:42:19 pm »

When we try to tune to a channel that is not broadcasting, we don't get any indication of such, except that we do not get any meaningful signals.  So we end up time-out.  It is not possible for us to quickly determine that a station is not broadcasting.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up