INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Viewing mounted volumes without putting into Library  (Read 496 times)

bobkatz

• World Citizen
Viewing mounted volumes without putting into Library
« on: August 01, 2019, 08:28:59 pm »

I have an SMB server (Synology) that I use for audio mastering that is constantly being updated and for 99% of the time I don't need to play or access all those files in JRiver. But sometimes I want to play them.

On JRiver Media Center for Windows, I can go to "Drives & Devices" and it goes to Explorer and lets me look at any mounted volume for media files and play them, even if it's not in my library.

On JRiver Media Center Mac there does not seem to be any way to access that mounted volume without importing it and putting it into the library and database. But I don't want to import all those files, most of them will be deleted in time from the server. I just want to play certain ones at will. Is there any equivalent to that functionality on JRiver Mac?

Scobie

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Looking Busy
Re: Viewing mounted volumes without putting into Library
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 10:50:58 pm »

I'm not sure if the Mac has this option - away from mine atm - but if you go Tools -> Options -> General -> Features is there an "Explorer" check box?

Or failing that can you select File -> Open Media File -> and point to the mounted volume?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Viewing mounted volumes without putting into Library
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 08:04:13 am »

File > Open Media File works.  However, it's very limited.  It replaces Playing Now, and doesn't have a good interface for navigating files.  It's fine for one or two files, but might be frustrating for playing many files.

I'll tell you what I do, which is very low tech; might or might not help you.

I have OS X file associations for all music files set to VLC.  To play files outside of MC (without importing them), I just use Finder and navigate normally.  I double click to play a file and it opens VLC and plays it immediately.  That's it.

Good luck Mr. Katz!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up