INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feature Request - Change JRiver Library with JRemote  (Read 976 times)

StephenJK

• Recent member
Feature Request - Change JRiver Library with JRemote
« on: August 02, 2019, 12:13:07 pm »

I think this has come up before, but it's worth another visit.  I have six libraries in JRiver with three categories - Rock LPs/CDs, Classical LPs/CDs and Jazz LPs/CDs.  The LPs are all at 24/96 and have a lower recording volume so I like to keep them separate from the CDs. 

The problem is if I want to hear something in a different library the only way to do that is by changing to another library with JRiver directly.  It would be so convenient if I could do that on my iPad with JRemote. 

I have a clumsy workaround where I copied everything to the main library - but with over 2,000 albums all mixed together it's a bit of a dog's breakfast, to say nothing of selecting an LP where I have the CD as well and now get a double album in the playlist. 

I can't be the only person who is reliant more on separate libraries than the use of Genres to sort out my music.  Being able to change libraries remotely would be an wonderful feature.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Feature Request - Change JRiver Library with JRemote
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 01:31:35 pm »

Obviously you're free to organize however you want, but I hope you realize that keeping all the music in one library does not prevent you from having different audio settings (via ZoneSwitch) for your tracks with different volumes.

Creating your own views would still allow you to see all your musical types as totally separate

Maintaining separate libraries for this purpose is a clumsy and limited solution, as you are finding.  It offers no advantages and many disadvantages.  I offer this info on the chance you thought you were somehow constrained into doing what you're doing.

Good luck...

StephenJK

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 03:38:51 pm »

I have separate libraries for good reason - LPs I have recorded are with (generally) much higher quality and better sound than your average Redbook CD. 

Perhaps you misunderstood, I don’t want everything in one library.  I would like to be able to change libraries from JRemote.   

I’m confident I’m not the only person who would like to be able to do so.

Thanks for your help.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2019, 03:40:22 pm »

You can use views to keep different types of tracks separate.  You don't need to use different libraries.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2019, 07:13:55 pm »

Libraries are also tied to a lot of settings in Media Center, as such its a really risky undertaking to load another one  and then hope its still configured to respond to the same remote configuration. I don't think we really plan to do anything here.

But as the others have said already, the library in Media Center is extremely flexible, you can do any sort of audio categorizing in any way you want, keep different tracks entirely differently arranged, categorized by quality, source, or whatever. Genre is not the only field we have, and you can even make your own to organize files in any matter anyone could imagine, and adjust the views both in MC itself and for JRemote to reflect any sort of organization you want. There is no practical reason for multiple libraries to exist just for the sake of organizational properties.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

StephenJK

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 06:22:40 pm »

Views. Got it.  I’ll check it out and post back on results.

Thanks to all.

Shail

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 09:24:19 am »

Hi all,

Could I echo StephenJK's request. I've been using MC's wonderful library management tools for a long time and find the multiple libraries facility a great way to separate a lot of things. I have five main libraries:
Contemporary
Indian Classical Music
Western Classical Music
My Music (concerts, rehearsals, etc)
Films & TV

These have significantly different features:
different tags, one obvious one being composer in western classical music
different genres and sub-genres
very different smart playlists.

On the last for example I have spent a lot of time building smartlists in Indian Classical Music for:
raga, tala, laya (based on filename or other info)
gharana (school), instrument, (based on artist)
samay (time of playing) (based on raga)
[while I'm here is there a way to write multiple smartlists in the coding language in a single file and importing it? this would be much easier to maintain for complex but related playlists]

I have looked at creating different Views in one mammoth library (>1TB) and found it very cumbersome. I'm sure it can be done but I found no neat way to encapsulate the differences above. By contrast keeping the libraries separate is neat simple and effective.

I use JRemote a lot and have for a long time wanted to be able to switch between libraries. Failing that is there a way to set up different DLNA links for each library?

Thanks for your help and keep up the good work

landiepete

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 07:32:07 am »

Same here. I think all functions directly coupled to playback (change libraries, view radio channels, search and add podcasts, etc. Should be available in remote so I can run the hardware headless.

MikeO

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 07:49:48 am »

You could create a Custom Tag [LibraryName] and use that to differentiate the individual libraries while keeping all files in one actual library

Just a thought
Pages: [1]   Go Up