INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows PC on last legs - Looking at Mac but concerned about wav files  (Read 493 times)

Artdob

My 10 years old Dell PC is on its last legs and can't upgrade to Windows 10.  So it's new computer time.  I thought I was zeroed down to an iMac.  But then I'm realizing, I have nearly 4TB of music files, the bulk of which are in WAV/FLAC format - some also DSD.  If I move to a Mac machine, will JRiver be able to play my WAV library?  If this will be a problem, I might be stuck in Windows.  Appreciate any guidance from those who have made the switch from Windows to Mac and had to deal with non Apple format audio libraries.

wer

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Windows PC on last legs - Looking at Mac but concerned about wav files
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2019, 10:48:20 pm »

MC on Mac plays wav.

You'll save yourself a bunch of storage if you just convert the wav files to flac.  Wav serves no purpose; it's too big, and doesn't have proper tag support.  If for some reason you need the wav again, you can always reconstitute it from the flac.  Dump 'em.

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2019, 10:03:13 am »

If you want to move to MAC check the capabilities of your vendors DAC drivers. There sometimes not the same for Win and MAC. E.g. Devialet AIR on MAC does not support DSD 64 over DOP, whereas on Win 10 its supported.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

pschelbert

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 10:52:10 am »

no problem. I run Mac (Macpro) and PC (Win7, Win8.1)
Any music-file almost runs on both platforms using JRiver, wav, flac, mp3, ALAC AAC etc.

Yes I would convert the wav's to flac, saves 40% space and gives additional freedom of tags and embedded pictures.

JRiver does the conversion easy (just let it run overnight, will take a moment..)

Pages: [1]   Go Up