INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for Ease of Use  (Read 2957 times)

Bioman

• Recent member
Looking for Ease of Use
« on: August 17, 2019, 07:34:04 am »

Looking for advice.  My system is run off a laptop; the DAC/Pre is USB (Benchmark 3).  I have a large library of Music (around 1.8 TB of files) that won’t fit on Laptop HD, so I use an External HD; and of course, I am using JRiver as my media player. 

I have a separate AV system for the TV room; the laptop-based system is for dedicated stereo listening. 

All of this results in a laptop that has too many cables coming off it to be anything other than semi-stationary and at a distance from my listening position.  This means a lot of up and down as I jump through the music library which is a real PITA. 

I have seen instances where people use Tablets which seem to be very portable, but no idea if JRiver could run on a tablet or how it could access my music library or even work with my current setup.  I have briefly looked at JRiver Android but that does not seem to be a solution either.  Any thoughts?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Looking for Ease of Use
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 07:50:52 am »

Put the laptop (or any computer) near the DAC and use any of JRiver's remotes.

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Remotes

Bioman

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 08:38:19 am »

Would not be able to see the laptop screen to read albums or tracks at any distance if your referring to a handheld remote.  But the software shown in the links looks intriguing as I have a Kindle Fire, I might be able to download software to it?  Is this possible to control JRiver running on my laptop system from a Notepad?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 08:42:58 am »

Kindle isn't probably possible.  Any Android or iOS tablet or phone would work.  Panel would work.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 09:33:41 am »

Would not be able to see the laptop screen to read albums or tracks at any distance if your referring to a handheld remote.  But the software shown in the links looks intriguing as I have a Kindle Fire, I might be able to download software to it?  Is this possible to control JRiver running on my laptop system from a Notepad?

Yes, using the Gizmo (free) or JRemote (paid) apps, or the Panel interface via a web browser.

You can also do this from your smartphone.

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 01:02:37 pm »

Basically you browse your library on handheld … select what to play then "render/cast" your selection to your laptop that sits near your DAC … so in fact you don't need to see whats on laptop screen

Can also build headless NUC (headless meaning without monitor keyboard or mouse) or maybe even Raspberry Pi … not much processing power is needed to play back music (unless you do DSD to PCM stuff) … then put Pi/NUC next to your DAC and connect USB to it … not much cabling
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

tij

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 01:13:55 pm »

just googled your DAC … darn its expensive one lol … but noticed it has also optical input

if you using iOS handhelds (iPad, iPhones) … can buy AirportExpress … connect its optical to DAC … then use iOS devices to AirPlay to AirportExpress via JRremote

this solution is limited to RedBook 44.1/16 as that's what AirPlay support max

just an alternative solution
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up