INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pi4 and SD card option  (Read 1673 times)

gabeg

• World Citizen
Pi4 and SD card option
« on: August 20, 2019, 02:50:57 pm »

I know you're working on the Pi4 update but here's a few questions:
- would the updated card still work on 3B+ Pis?
- Would it be ok to clone the card in case of failure of the original card?

I plan on purchasing the PI2AES http://www.pi2design.com/502dac-330278.html and they're unsure if the board is compatible for the Pi4. I'd like to have the option of downgrading to the Pi3 in case there's an issue with compatibility.

Thanks!

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Pi4 and SD card option
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 05:45:20 pm »

From what I know the SD card associates itself with the Pi via the issued password for the SD card and an internet connection back to JRiver home base.

If you change the card to a new Pi, you'll have to go through the registration process again and you'll find that that task burns a licence credit. I think you get 10 or 12 goes per year.

I've got the 502DAC. It's recognised as a Hifiberry DAC, so the IdPi plays nicely with it. Do you know what the story is with the PI2AES - Pro in that regard? If it's a special, then you may have a challenge ahead getting audio out. Better to avoid messing about with the Device Tree if you can avoid it. You could confirm that detail with Pi2design and and see what it's equivalent to. Then check back here with the dt overlay detail that the PI2AES uses and confirm that the equivalent functions well with another user.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 11:07:30 am »

The IdPi4 card when it's released will run on a 3b and 3b+ as well.

gabeg

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2019, 12:38:41 pm »

The Pi2AES is purely an I2s to spdif, AES and HDMI I2S converter. Apparently it uses the Hifiberry Digi+ Pro profile.

From what I know the SD card associates itself with the Pi via the issued password for the SD card and an internet connection back to JRiver home base.

If you change the card to a new Pi, you'll have to go through the registration process again and you'll find that that task burns a licence credit. I think you get 10 or 12 goes per year.

I've got the 502DAC. It's recognised as a Hifiberry DAC, so the IdPi plays nicely with it. Do you know what the story is with the PI2AES - Pro in that regard? If it's a special, then you may have a challenge ahead getting audio out. Better to avoid messing about with the Device Tree if you can avoid it. You could confirm that detail with Pi2design and and see what it's equivalent to. Then check back here with the dt overlay detail that the PI2AES uses and confirm that the equivalent functions well with another user.
Pages: [1]   Go Up