INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pane Option - Ignore Other Category Filters  (Read 1410 times)

glynor

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Pane Option - Ignore Other Category Filters
« on: August 24, 2019, 12:30:27 pm »

This is something that I've wanted for a long time, which also seems like not a big deal to add (though usual caveats that I don't know WTF I'm talking about there apply), and so I figured I'd ask:

It would be handy to have certain individual Panes (in a Panes view, of course) which do not filter the list based on the active selection in the other panes in the View. In the Edit Category dialog, you'd add an Ignore Other Category Filters checkbox (or some such thing). When enabled, that Pane would always show all available items in that category based on the View's Files to Show filter only (just like how it is if the selection is reset).

The reason I'd like this is for tagging, particularly for the Genre tag (but also Keywords and stuff like that). It would be useful for any field for which you have a "set" of possible values to choose from in whatever personal metadata "system" you've devised. So, for example, say I want to tag all ABBA songs as Pop\Disco. I get a new ABBA album, as you do. In my "New Music" View, if I have the View un-filtered (with no selections in the Panes) I can select the ABBA songs and tag them with the Pop\Disco item in the Genre Pane. But, if I've filtered the view with one of the other Panes, such that no visible files are already tagged with Pop\Disco, then that item vanishes from my Genre Pane and I can't use the little checkboxes to tag the files that way anymore (and I end up typing them in by hand like an animal). This happens to me a lot when I'm tagging because it is often convenient to sub-filter the view to show only the files for which you want to "universally" apply a particular tag (so you can just apply the tag to all of the files in the current view). For example, I'll narrow down the selection with a File Location pane to show only the new ABBA album I just imported, then I want to apply a handful of things "globally" to all the files (fixing Abba to ABBA, applying Pop\Disco Genre, and tweaking the album title to remove the "(Digitally Remastered Loudness War Version)" suffix, etc). But as soon as I subfilter to show only the files where I want to apply the tags, now my Genre category is empty.

You can battle this somewhat by carefully ordering your Panes, but there are some circumstances where it would be nice if a particular Pane didn't filter itself, and always showed whatever it would show based on the the results of the View's Set rules for file display search, regardless of its order in the set of Panes. It would mean if you use the Pane to actually make selections, and you select an item for which there are no results, you could end up with an empty file list, but that's no big deal. And the little checkboxes would clue you in to this anyway when using the Pane for selection purposes.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Pane Option - Ignore Other Category Filters
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 01:36:30 pm »

You've got my attention  :)

Anyone else ever want this?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wer

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 01:58:53 pm »

It's never been an issue for me.  But I rarely use "pane tagging" as I prefer other methods.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 03:36:25 pm »

I find the pane tagging UI quite confusing and have never really understood why it's an option inside a view which seems to be designed for filtering but then suddenly grows this tagging option once you're inside it. This means I'm not remotely qualified to comment on the actual feature request except that perhaps the view itself might not be the friendliest to use atm & an option to turn off this feature completely would be nice (i.e. make pane tagging a distinct subset of panes).

FWIW I also use a different method to tag things (rules based using https://www.blisshq.com/)

Moe

• MC Beta Team
  • Hi
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2019, 03:42:45 pm »

This would definitely be useful. +1

darichman

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2019, 07:48:09 pm »

I'm also a +1. Have a few cases views where this would be useful.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2019, 10:52:18 pm »

In order to get around this problem with my image keyword tagging, I had to devise a grouping scheme that kept all tagged images grouped below the new tagless ones, so, yeah, for sure, there are a few schemes in my Workshop group that could benefit from something like this.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 08:14:59 am »

Coming next build:
NEW: Added the pane option "Filter panes based on selection" to allow turning off filtering of other panes based on the selection in panes.

It's not per-pane, but it does store the setting per set of panes.

Hopefully it's a good start :)
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

wer

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 12:45:05 pm »

It's funny how this works.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2019, 05:46:37 pm »

Off-topic. Sorry, not sorry.  ;D

an option to turn off this feature completely would be nice (i.e. make pane tagging a distinct subset of panes).

You can as of this change:

25.0.81 (7/22/2019)
12. NEW: Added the option to "Enable pane tagging" to the panes to allow tagging and the checkboxes to be turned off.

It is set under the View definition Advanced options, applies to the whole View, and Pane Tagging is on by default. Turn it off. See image.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 03:59:47 am »

It is set under the View definition Advanced options, applies to the whole View, and Pane Tagging is on by default. Turn it off. See image.
thanks.  I was about to say this doesn't do anything but then I realised it only takes effect after you restart MC (which seems a bit confusing/unfriendly).

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 05:34:51 pm »

Hopefully it's a good start :)

Thanks. I was really hoping for per-pane (because, as I said, there are often certain panes for which this would be useful). But, I'll take it! That'll still be useful, it will just limit the usefulness to only certain specialty "utility views".
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

wer

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 02:20:58 am »

Edit: Tried this feature out.  I guess it is just for pane tagging?
Pages: [1]   Go Up