INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Responsiveness Issues  (Read 3816 times)

scrutinizer

• Recent member
Responsiveness Issues
« on: August 26, 2019, 12:09:42 pm »

Hi,
I’m having some responsiveness issues with the Linux version (only the Linux version).
I have a rather large music library, Switching tracks during playback by double-clicking on some random track can take a very long time sometimes up to a whole minute to make the actual switch.
This does NOT happen when switching tracks using a remote control like Gizmo.

The top right search box is also very slow to respond – typing itself is delayed quite considerably and even clicking inside the box to make it active usually takes two or more tries.

Running Debian 10 buster (same thing happened on Stretch).
Any idea?

*Still waiting for a Gizmo update. It keeps on crashing after a while.

Kott

• Recent member
Re: Responsiveness Issues
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 06:14:15 pm »

Hi,
The top right search box is also very slow to respond – typing itself is delayed quite considerably and even clicking inside the box to make it active usually takes two or more tries.
Yeah, this search behavior is very inconvenient. Devs says that is WM/DE related, especially in KDE.
Though I didn't experienced so long track switching issue.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 06:50:52 pm »

Yeah, I don't see either issue at all in Gnome on Arch Linux.  Can you provide some more details about your debian setup?

scrutinizer

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 01:40:56 am »

Well I am indeed using KDE but what about it can cause such behavior only with JRiver?

I also noticed that after track has been switched it takes an additional 30 seconds to a minute for the cover art on the bottom left to reflect the playing track.

Minimizing JRiver window and reopening it often results in a blank white window which again can take up to a minute to redraw properly.

I'm using Debian (amd64) on a Kaby Lake I7 Desktop with 32gb ram and Nvidia (proprietary) drivers.
The same thing happens on my thinkpad (t470s running debian with intel drivers) to an even worse degree.

Mike Noe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 08:48:52 am »

CAn you try a wayland session instead of X?  Last Plasma update (5.6) enabled Wayland support (EGLStreams) for nVidia proprietary.  You might see different behavior with MC running in XWayland.
openSUSE TW/Plasma5 x86_64 | Win10Pro/RX560
S.M.S.L USB-DAC => Transcendent GG Pre (kit) => Transcendent mono OTLs (kit)
(heavily modded) Hammer Dynamics Super-12s (kit)
(optionally) VonSchweikert VR8s

scrutinizer

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 10:34:36 am »

CAn you try a wayland session instead of X?  Last Plasma update (5.6) enabled Wayland support (EGLStreams) for nVidia proprietary.  You might see different behavior with MC running in XWayland.

Plasma 5.6 isn't on Debian 10...

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 11:06:14 am »

Wow, Fedora works with wayland on NVIDIA too now. I so missed that! Gotta try that today!
I don't really have massive delay problems (although everything he said I also have, but not nearly as bad). Mostly, when I move the Window is hinks after the cursor a lot and laggs around the screen. On my notebook with an intel igpu its flawless (on wayland). Maybe the laggs would increase if my desktop had a worse GPU with xorg.

Could try xorg on my notebook and see what happens too. Yeah, when I switch to xorg on my notebook its also a mess... It is night and day better on wayland!

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 11:35:59 am »

I haven't had a problem with kde on debian testing

Kott

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 08:59:01 pm »

I haven't had a problem with kde on debian testing
So, under KDE you have the one click in search field and then you able to type text?
I have to click twice at least.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 02:42:53 am »

So, under KDE you have the one click in search field and then you able to type text?
I have to click twice at least.
No I have that but I don't class this as a responsiveness problem, it is just one of the many ui glitches (which are mostly to do with how it handles active window areas). The more obvious example is any dialog box (like options or DSP studio)

jamesj2

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 08:50:42 pm »

I too experience UI issues with MC 25.0.102 using KDE 5.16.4 on Manjaro (arch based) Dell 7530 laptop.  I have no issues with any other programs UI on my system.  MC runs fine unless you try to interact with the UI like moving the window or using the search box.  The menu drop downs are a little slow to open and close.  To move the window I have to ALT left click it and it moves fine.  If I try to drag without the ALT it barely registers the mouse moves.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 03:50:51 pm »

Try the current build. There was an issue with the mouse tracking code after opening a popup window.

max096

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 09:54:21 am »

The current build is deffinitely better. Before 108 I tried the new releases for about a minute and reverted to .97.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2019, 12:31:16 pm »

The current build is deffinitely better. Before 108 I tried the new releases for about a minute and reverted to .97.
Great, thanks for the report.
Pages: [1]   Go Up