INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ongoing Sound Card Issue  (Read 523 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Ongoing Sound Card Issue
« on: August 29, 2019, 09:40:14 am »

Hey all,

I have an ongoing issue with the Mac version where I disconnect my sound card, with MC open, then plug it back in and I cannot get sound out of my Mac without closing/ reopening MC.  Here is the situation:

In my home office, I plug in an old UA3.  The UA3 is actually plugged into the back of a monitor which is plugged into my Mac, so it's MAC > Dell Monitor with USB hub in it > UA3.  I open up MC and am listening all day long.  Then at night, I will close my Mac and power off the monitors.  In the morning, I come back, open the Mac, power on the monitors and all is fine.  However, some nights, I unplug everything and carry my Mac elsewhere.  In these situations, I unplug all USB ports, leave MC open, but I won't use it.  Then in the morning, I go back to my office, plug in all of the USB ports, power up the monitors, the UA3 powers on (and becomes the default sound card to OS X).  I will then go to MC and hit play, but no sound comes out (of the built in speakers or the UA3).  At this point, I have to close MC and reopen it.

This has happened for as long as I can remember, but I've never bothered to post about it.  Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Ongoing Sound Card Issue
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 09:54:22 am »

I think that's a pure hardware problem. 

I have a soundbar that behaves like that unless I power it up before I try to play to it (from Win10). 

I don't think there's anything MC could do about either problem.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Ongoing Sound Card Issue
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2019, 10:48:42 am »

I think that's a pure hardware problem. 

I have a soundbar that behaves like that unless I power it up before I try to play to it (from Win10). 

I don't think there's anything MC could do about either problem.

My thought was that OS X "knows" the sound card is there because it shows as the default output under the Sound Preferences.

Next time I do this, I'll double check, but I think other programs (Chrome, VLC, etc) still output to the UA3. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up