INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Headless Server Benefits  (Read 550 times)

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
Headless Server Benefits
« on: September 09, 2019, 12:50:39 pm »

I currently run MC25 on a Mac mini, music collection on a NAS ethernet from upstairs to my Cambridge 851N downstairs.With a iPad mini as remote.

Would there be any benefits from running a headless option connected directly by USB to the Cambridge,with a USB 4TB connected HD.
The only one I can see is no need for the mini Mac to be on.
Would sound benefit at all ?

Manfred

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Headless Server Benefits
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 05:54:30 am »

I had similar architecture HTPC in the livingroom with NAS in another room. I got rid of this. I have now a headless server with MC and 46 TB SATA  disks managed by Windows Storage Spaces.

A key parameter is the amount of data you have. If I do an audio analysis over my >40 000 media files (audio/video) it takes ~8h. With the NAS HTPC combination it took day's because all files must be transported to the HTPC over the network and the result goes back to the NAS.
But this kind of tasks you don't do very often.

If you have only a small amount of audio/video files your MacMini NAS combination is fine, if you don't care also about double administration. If you use USB as audio interface many people state having an additional USB disk attached to the MacMini has a negative impact on SQ. But not all agree to that.
WS (AMD Ryzen 7 5700G, 32 GB DDR4-3200, 2x2 TB SDD, LG 34UC98-W)-USB|ADI-2 DAC FS|Canton AM5 - File Server (i3-3.9 GHz, 16GB ECC DDR4-2400, 46 TB disk space) - Media Renderer (i3-3.8 GHz, 8GB DDR4-2133, GTX 960)-USB|Devialet D220 Pro|Audeze LCD 2|B&W 804S|LG 4K OLED )

scol78

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Headless Server Benefits
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 12:46:24 pm »

I have around 3TB of FLACS on the NAS.

I was just looking at having one unit to switch on, USB to my streamer all in one place.
Pages: [1]   Go Up