INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi - has it true Media Server functionality ?  (Read 1091 times)

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
IdPi - has it true Media Server functionality ?
« on: September 23, 2019, 05:43:25 am »

Actually I'm using MediaCenter this way:

On the office PC I do rip, download, organize, tagging and prepare db views.
Since this PC is not running all the time, I create a db Backup which then is restored on all devices which do playback.
This is not the 'direct' way but it works well for me. The only drawback: When no PC is running I cannot use the db from tablet/mobile and cannot acces my media from the internet.

With the IdPi I hope to be able to use MC like this:

On the office PC I do rip, download, organize and also tagging and preparing db views.
Then I'd like to copy the DB to the IdPi which shall act as MediaServer as well as DLNA server.

Does IdPi offer the same functionality as the MediaServer in MC ? Sharing over internet with the access key stored in the DB export ?  And also sharing as DLNA server with the settings stored in the DB export?

As I understood, a key is required and the software cannot be downloaded.
Is the software somehow dongled with the SDcard ? Can it be backed up and transferred to another card ? Replacing with a larger SDcard allows to store the mostly used mediafiles inside the Raspberry. Will that work?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: IdPi - has it true Media Server functionality ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 06:34:08 am »

The IdPi includes a fully functional Media Center version, so it can do all the things that MC can do - with one limitaiton: A Pi is very limited in CPU power. So while it can send you audio files untouched just fine, if you ask it to convert audio, or even video, then it'll have a really hard time. It may manage some audio conversions, but with video thats the end of the road.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

rolf_eigenheer

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 04:25:35 am »

The IdPi includes a fully functional Media Center version, so it can do all the things that MC can do - with one limitaiton: A Pi is very limited in CPU power. So while it can send you audio files untouched just fine, if you ask it to convert audio, or even video, then it'll have a really hard time. It may manage some audio conversions, but with video thats the end of the road.

Hendrik, Is there an advantage to let mediaserver do conversions ? You say it is a MediaCenter. Then any other MediaCenter, connected as client should be able to do de same decode ? 
What does require reencoding ? DLNA Server ? JRemote ? Gizmo ?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 05:42:23 am »

DLNA can require conversion. Mobile streaming like JRemote or Gizmo will require conversion for Video currently, and for audio for many formats.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up