INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bizarre behaviour trying move Cover Art  (Read 1193 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Bizarre behaviour trying move Cover Art
« on: September 26, 2019, 07:57:05 pm »

I have migrated my Music file to a new external hard drive D:\2. MUSIC. Previously (when on G:\) I had a folder within 2. MUSIC called JR COVER ART where I had dumped the art, and that produced two sub-folders called Albums and Videos.

All was well.

This morning I noticed that after the migration to D:\ the Cover Art was set to "Folder: D:\" so I tried to change it to D:\2. MUSIC\JR COVER ART (which exists). This seemed to be going for an extraordinary amount of time, and when I looked into the JR COVER ART folder it was revealed that JR was moving EVERYTHING on D:\ into the sub-folder. This is a 2/3 full 3TB drive....so it might take *some time*. When I say it tried to move everything, I mean including the WindowsImageBackup as well.

I cancelled that and cleaned everything up. Then I tried it again, thinking I may have done something dopey (too easy  ::) ) and took extra careful note of what I was doing, and sho'nuff it did the same thing again, which I immediately cancelled.

The "Folder To Watch" has been set to D:\2. MUSIC but auto-import is turned off at the moment.

Then I took some screen shots of the process.
First one shows Covert Art set to D:\
Second shows having clicked on Folder D:\ to change it and I have so far selected WD MUSIC (D:)
Third shows that I have expanded the tree ready to select JR COVER ART.

You can see in the third one the effects of having done it before: all the folders from D:\ are being attempted to be copied into JR COVER ART. In fact it is attempting to move 2. MUSIC into a sub-folder OF ITSELF! Eez no possible! That actually raises another question: it says it is moving, but I noted that some folders that had finished the first time were also still in their original locations, and were the same size, so they had been copied, not moved.

There should not be anything showing in JR COVER ART except Albums and Videos.

I can't simply recopy the cover art into the "folder specified in options" because that id D:\.

Can someone please shed some light on what is happening please? I've moved JR COVER ART several times before with no dramas at all (like a few weeks ago when I moved 2. MUSIC from C drive to G drive)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bizarre behaviour trying move Cover Art
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 08:58:44 pm »

It is a bit of a trap, isn't it?

MC is doing what it is supposed to do. When you change the location of Cover Art in Options, if the current location exists MC will move everything in that location to the new location. It looked like a copy to you as you cancelled it before it finished. Normally it copies the contents across and then deletes the original location. Just as well you cancelled it! Deleting everything on D:\ would have been bad.

I thought it used to ask for confirmation before doing the move, but I just tested and it doesn't now.

I'm not sure why the Cover Art folder got set to D:\, but I suspect that if the original folder, "G:\2. MUSIC\JR COVER ART", no longer existed MC just changed the setting to the root of the current drive, or something like that.

If you had changed the setting while "G:\2. MUSIC\JR COVER ART" still existed, then MC would just have moved the folder correctly.

So, how to fix... If you try to change it now, it will try to move the files. Thinking... I'm pretty sure this conundrum has been solved before.

We'll use a Big Hammer I think.

Close MC and Media Server if running.
Make sure that your Cover Art is in the "G:\2. MUSIC\JR COVER ART" directory and nothing else is in there.
Perhaps create a Windows Restore Point, or back up the Registry before making the change below.
Start the Windows Registry Editor and go to the location "Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\JRiver\Media Center 25\Properties"
Find the Key "File Location - Image File Location", edit it, and change the Value Data to "G:\2. MUSIC\JR COVER ART"
Restart MC and check that the setting in Options is now set correctly. MC should now find the Cover Art correctly.
When happy, close the Registry Editor.

Lastly, breath a big sigh of relief.  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 09:37:24 pm »

Thank you once again Roderick - all fixed (had to discover how to do a Restore Point, but that was easy enough).

It is a bit of a trap, isn't it?
A Bear trap with freshly sharpened teeth......

Deleting everything on D:\ would have been bad.
Well I can't see how it could have worked. It was trying to move them to a folder within the original, so I can only assume that when it got to the delete part at the end, Windows may well have just frozen....or summink.....

We'll use a Big Hammer I think.
That's making me shiver in me boots....

Lastly, breath a big sigh of relief.  :D
PHHHWWOOOOOAAAARRRR!  ;D

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 09:41:13 pm »

Excellent.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up