INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Thumbnails in Image Views  (Read 2482 times)

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
No Thumbnails in Image Views
« on: September 27, 2019, 08:13:12 am »

I only use Images occasionally in MC, so am not very experienced with them.

I just created my first Windows 10 MC system (25.0.104) and everything went smoothly except the images.  In the images view and in my slide shows (playlists) the images show as a camera icon rather than as the small version of the picture. However, when I hover over the icon the picture displays. So, it has the right path to the image file. In audio, I would rebuild thumbnails, but I do not know if there are thumbnails for images and if so how to generate them.  It is probably a simply problem, but I am stumped.  One picture does show up and it is a small picture. The others are quite large. Not sure if that is an issue or not. Thanks.

See attached

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No Thumbnails in Image Views
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2019, 09:05:54 am »

It probably needs to build thumbnails.

Did you just import?  Or did you restore from a backup?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2019, 09:13:06 am »

Restored from a backup. How do I build image thumbnails? I do it in Cover Art in Audio.  It sat overnight and built nothing, so I do not think it is a time issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2019, 09:15:03 am »

Check your settings for thumbnails.  A backup doesn't include thumbnails.

If it's a Win10 machine, make sure you configure Windows Defender.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2019, 09:16:54 am »

If you select one and hit enter, does it display correctly?

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2019, 09:55:30 am »

The slides are fine. It is just the thumbnails that do not show.

One thumbnail is displayed. The others are not.  I do not know why. But if that one is displayed and the others are not, it seems like Defender may not be the issue. I have done the defender thing.

Where are there any thumbnail settings for images?

How do you rebuild image thumbnails?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2019, 10:18:44 am »

They should rebuild automatically when you scroll through.   Or you can use the rebuild missing thumbnails option in settings.

Check Windows Defender again.

Check file locations settings in MC options.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2019, 10:32:13 am »

The files can clearly be displayed (see picture) so the links are fine.  And one thumbnail did build.

Where is the rebuild missing thumbnails options for images? I know where it is for cover art but cannot find a comparable one for images.  I would be happy to start the building manually, but cannot find a place to do that.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 10:56:35 am »

The audio thumbnails built fine.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2019, 02:53:32 pm »

For Defender I added exclusions  for

The folder    "C:\Program Files\J River\"

The folder      "%APPDATA%\J River\"

The program "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 25\Media Center 25.exe"

The program "C:\Program Files\J River\Media Center 25\JRWorker.exe"

My folder containing the images

The extension jpeg

As far as I can tell the two folders should be plenty, but I added the two executables just to be sure.  And, I added the jpeg extension, even though MC is accessing the image files fine. It is just not building the image thumbnails.

The only slightly unusual thing I did was use RMC to change the disk name in the restore from C to D on all the files, both audio and image, but that should not make any difference.  MC fines the files correctly.

I cannot find any way to manually build image thumbnails.

I have rebooted the system.

Any thoughts?

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2019, 04:52:07 pm »

Well, I just selected the image view and went to Tools>Advanced Tools>Build Missing Thumbnails and it found 524 and quickly built them.
One thing you might try if this doesn't work is to go to the thumbnails directory and delete everything in there and then select build missing thumbnails.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2019, 05:29:51 pm »

Thanks. I tried the Advance Tools > Build Missing Thumbnails and it redid some Audio ones but did nothing for the images.  However, if I try to redo the command, it says images are still being built in the background. So, something may be amiss with building the image thumbnails.  I'll let it run and see if it every ends.

I was hoping not to resort to deleting the thumbnail files, but it may come to that.

Edit: Thumbnail building just stopped with no thumbnails built for images.  Since this was a fresh install with a backup restore, it seems like the thumbnail files should be pretty clean. Still not sure what is going on.  They were fine on the old system, but the images were imported here rather than restored.

There are 2 thumbnail files. Anyone know if 1 is for audio and one is for images and video or what the mix is?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2019, 08:05:07 pm »

Here's the Windows Defender thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

Something is blocking MC.  A directory that's read only, for example.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 08:34:15 pm »

Here's the Windows Defender thread:
https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,114101.0.html

Something is blocking MC.  A directory that's read only, for example.

This is a new computer with a completely new installation of MC25.  I got it from HP 2 days ago.  All I did was install MC, copy the files to the drive and restore a backup.

The image files can be displayed with no problem. There is no read problem for those files.    The only problem is building the thumbnails. And, one of them from one of the same folders, for a small image file, did build. How did that small file build if there is a read only problem?  As far as I know, the only writing having to do with thumbnails is totally under MC control.  If there is a read only problem, where would you suggest it is?  And the Audio thumbnails build fine and I think the image thumbnails are stored in the same place.

I posted my Defender exclusions, which, according to that tread, should be fine.  If there is something wrong with the exclusions that I posted, please let me know. If anyone has a suggestion, based on what I posted, please let me know.

This is a vanilla installation and I have followed what I believe are the correct procedures. Yes, something is blocking the image thumbnails but it is not blocking the audio thumbnails. Any suggestions based on what I have posted to solve this problem are welcome.

Thanks for your help.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2019, 01:11:02 am »

There are 2 thumbnail files. Anyone know if 1 is for audio and one is for images and video or what the mix is?

I believe each sub-directory in the "C:\Users\[UserID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Thumbnails" directory contains all thumbnails for a particular Library.

With MC closed, delete all the sub-directories in the above directory, then use your Images View to see if thumbnails are built on demand.

If so, run the "Build missing thumbnails" function at a convenient time, to build them all. It is located in two places;
Tools > Advance Tools > Build Missing Thumbnails
Options >Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build missing thumbnails

On some rare occasions MC can have a hiccup with the thumbnails database, and lose correct indexing of thumbnails. A delete and build has fixed that for me and others.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 06:35:38 am »

I believe each sub-directory in the "C:\Users\rgi\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 25\Thumbnails" directory contains all thumbnails for a particular Library.

With MC closed, delete all the sub-directories in the above directory, then use your Images View to see if thumbnails are built on demand.

If so, run the "Build missing thumbnails" function at a convenient time, to build them all. It is located in two places;
Tools > Advance Tools > Build Missing Thumbnails
Options >Tree & View > Thumbnails > Build missing thumbnails

On some rare occasions MC can have a hiccup with the thumbnails database, and lose correct indexing of thumbnails. A delete and build has fixed that for me and others.

Thanks. That did the trick.  They built automatically. Obviously there was something wrong with the thumbnail files. Interestingly, I deleted 2 folders but now there is only 1. Deleting and rebuilding was my next step after BigSpider suggested it, and your experience helped. Thanks.

As I said, I do not do a lot of images. But, it does seem that it would be nice to have a build thumbnail option for images and one for videos, like there is for Audio.  That symmetry would help.  I looked pretty much everywhere but Advanced Tools.

Well, now I am off to experience the wonders of Windows 10.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 09:50:43 am »

When you copy files from a CD, they can end up being read-only sometimes.  Check all the permissions if you haven't.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 09:56:09 am »

When you copy files from a CD, they can end up being read-only sometimes.  Check all the permissions if you haven't.

Probable solved. Please read post above. It was not a read only problem.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 06:12:57 pm »

Interestingly, I deleted 2 folders but now there is only 1.

Yeah, a new sub-directory and thumbnail database are created each time a new Library is created, or connected to remotely. I create and delete quite a few Libraries for testing stuff. I currently have nine thumbnail sub-directories on this workstation!  :o

I should take my own advice and delete those, to clean them up...
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up