INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver Media Server not showing pictures or videos  (Read 3696 times)

wellywu

• World Citizen
JRiver Media Server not showing pictures or videos
« on: October 13, 2019, 10:23:38 am »

On my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC running Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" GNU/Linux and JRiver Media Center 25.0.108 64 bit Master License, I set up the Media Server just fine. Both my mid-2017 ASUS ROG STRIX GL702ZC running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1903 and mid-2018 Huawei Matebook X Pro Ultrabook running the same desktop operating system and the same version of JRiver Media Center can connect to my media server at home or when I travel. The problem is that my pictures and videos in my custom views show up blank. I can not see my pictures or videos at all; every custom view that I set properly shows up blank with no content. Can somebody tell me how to provide technical information to this community in order to fix this problem? Thanks

wellywu

• World Citizen
Re: JRiver Media Server not showing pictures or videos
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 09:40:52 pm »

From my two Windows laptops, Images and Videos say that there are no files. Audio shows my music and each track plays fine from different artists and music albums. I do not know why the media server is not showing files for Images and Videos on my AVA Direct desktop; I am using it now and I see my images and videos and the custom views along with the content, but my Windows laptops say that there are no files. What gives? Is this related to the previous bug with earlier GNU/Linux build versions for Media Center 25?

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 03:29:54 pm »

You are connecting to the server where Images and Videos are located. On the server you see the content, when you connect with a client you don't?
Please check your server to make sure it's not set to Audio Only (under View).

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 02:36:18 pm »

If I restore my GNOME disk image of Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" GNU/Linux on my three PCs, then I will test this and report back. Thank you for the suggestion and I shall keep it in mind.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 04:03:48 am »

I restored my GNOME Disks images for my mid-2017 AVA Direct and ASUS ROG STRIX GL702ZC gaming desktop and notebook PCs to Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" GNU/Linux tonight. I followed your instructions and my JRiver Media Server is configured correctly so it is not set to audio only mode. My gaming notebook PC can access my server in my bedroom at my apartment and I can see my entire media library including images and videos not to mention audio. It seems to be fixed. I prefer using GNU/Linux as it is more reliable and stable not to mention faster than Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Thank you for the tip. Solved.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 05:08:05 am »

Okay, so I got the original problem on my mid-2018 Huawei Matebook X Pro ultrabook running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1903 and JRiver Media Center 25.0.114 64 bit Master License. I can connect to my JRiver media server and it shows my audio, but no images or videos show up. I double checked my media server settings and it is not set to audio only mode. Can somebody help me to fix this on my Windows ultrabook? Thanks.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 07:48:31 am »

So, other than running two different desktop operating systems is there any reason why Windows 10 can not allow me to see my images and video on my Linux Mint JRiver media server?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2019, 10:07:27 am »

When you are connecting to the server with the media, you are connecting to the (Library Server) entry in the tree?

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2019, 12:16:39 pm »

Bob:

I added my AVA Direct media server to the add library tree and I put in my unique code and my user ID and password. I am connecting to the library server in the tree; however, images and videos show up empty on my Matebook X Pro running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1909 and JRiver MC 25.0.114 64 bit. JRiver MC 25.0.113 64 bit is installed for my Linux Mint PCs. The AVA Direct is using Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit and JRiver MC 25.0.113 64 bit. I configured the media server correctly; it is not set to audio only mode. The only problem is that my Windows ultrabook won't display anything under my images and videos on my library server under the tree. I'm confused why this is not working. Perhaps take a look into it and patch it up with an update?

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2019, 03:27:13 pm »

Bob:

I added my AVA Direct media server to the add library tree and I put in my unique code and my user ID and password. I am connecting to the library server in the tree; however, images and videos show up empty on my Matebook X Pro running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1909 and JRiver MC 25.0.114 64 bit. JRiver MC 25.0.113 64 bit is installed for my Linux Mint PCs. The AVA Direct is using Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit and JRiver MC 25.0.113 64 bit. I configured the media server correctly; it is not set to audio only mode. The only problem is that my Windows ultrabook won't display anything under my images and videos on my library server under the tree. I'm confused why this is not working. Perhaps take a look into it and patch it up with an update?
I don't get it either since I absolutely can't reproduce it with the same versions and nearly the same platforms.
On the client, what are the settings under:
Tools->Options->Media Network->Client Options (when connected to a library server)?

Also, do the Images and Videos show up if you connect to the MC server with Panel?

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 03:39:33 pm »

With Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1909 on my Huawei, client options that are checked include auto sync with server, play local file if one found on media server is identical and show playback zones on server. Audio conversion is set to don't convert audio at 24 bits. Image and video are set to original.

I doubt that this could be an issue, but could it be that I need to know special Ubuntu Uncomplicated Firewall network ports to get this fixed? I got 52199 via HTTP set in UFW and my Verizon router along with Ivacy VPN's NAT firewall + port forwarding. I got no problems connecting to my media server at home. My three PCs are in my bedroom.

I don't get why this problem exists. I should be able to see images and videos from my media server just like on my ASUS GL702ZC running Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit which I do so this PC is not a problem with JRiver Media Server.

This puzzles me.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2019, 03:50:00 pm »

On my mid-2017 AVA Direct running Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" GNU/Linux, my media libraries exist under /media/wellywu/WDBlack6TB. I use this Western Digital Black 6TB 7200 RPM hard disk drive to store my media content for both JRiver Media Center 25.0.113 64 bit Master License and Plex Media Server 1.17.x 64 bit. I followed this guide to get Plex Media Server to access my media folders. It's a long read, but I think that this is a file ownership and permissions issue:

Plex is run under plex username, so you may encounter the following permission issues:

Ubuntu restricts access to /media/$USER through ACL (that's the "+" when you ls -l /media). Solution below.
Your drives may not be mounted to allow plex user to read it. Check it with ls -l on the drive or folder that cause issue, to see the group owner, group permissions and user permissions. Solution below.
Your folder may not allow plex user or group to read it. Use sudo chmod -R u+r FOLDER to allow all users. Or add flex user to the folder group (see below) and use sudo chmod -R g+r FOLDER.
Fix permissions to allow Plex to access /media/$USER
Check which group you and plex belong to:

groups
groups plex
Now, add plex user to your user group, and allow this group to access /media/$USER:

MYGROUP="$USER"
sudo usermod -a -G $MYGROUP plex
sudo chown $USER:$MYGROUP /media/$USER
sudo chmod 750 /media/$USER
sudo setfacl -m g:$MYGROUP:rwx /media/$USER
sudo service plexmediaserver restart
Fix permissions of NTFS partitions
NTFS partitions must be mounted with appropriate read rights in /etc/fstab:

Check your user and group id (1000 and 1000 in example):

id
Edit /etc/fstab to mount the drive with read permissions for your user group and for all users (cf. umask, which is 777 less the desired "chmod" number):

UUID="XXXXXX" /media/USERNAME/MOUNTPOINT ntfs rw,nosuid,nodev,allow_other,default_permissions,uid=1000,gid=1000,umask=002 0 0
Fix permissions of mdadm RAID disks
If you're using mdadm, this may be needed in /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf:

CREATE mode=0775
shareimprove this answer
edited Oct 15 '16 at 10:09
answered Mar 15 '15 at 13:27

KrisWebDev
80811 gold badge88 silver badges2020 bronze badges
My media folders where owner/group my username (which for some reason was stopping the thumbnails from being generated)... Once I ran usermod -a -G username plex and then sudo service plexmediaserver restart and did a "Force Refresh" the thumbnails all downloaded correctly :) Probably not the correct fix but it works. – Tod Thomson Aug 7 '15 at 11:15
Thank you SOO MUCH. I have struggled with this so much and this is finally what worked. – chase Jan 4 '16 at 6:54
I think adding one of the flags in /etc/fstab did it for me, spent lots of time on other solutions but this one did it for me, thanks. – alistaircol Dec 26 '17 at 22:11

I know it's a lot to dump in this thread and it's not directly related to JRiver, but this is what I had to do to get Plex Media Server to access my media content. My WD Black 6TB is formatted EXT4 not Microsoft Windows NTFS so I never created the /etc/fstab rule at boot up.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2019, 03:53:15 pm »

How do I connect to MC Server with Panel?

Sorry for the newbie question. Just trying to help others to help me.

If this does not work, then I am installing Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" GNU/Linux on my mid-2018 Huawei Matebook X Pro ultrabook in the near future. That should fix it. It should also allow me to use my Silicondust HDHomeRun Connect Quatro and Antop AT-402B antenna to watch live television + DVR in a GNU/Linux environment because I can't do that from Windows 10 Pro 64 bit to my Plex Media Server running Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" at this time.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2019, 04:08:50 pm »

On my Huawei, images and videos says that there are no files and to double click to add files when connected to my JRiver media server using Windows. Yet, I see my audio, images and videos on my ASUS GL702ZC running Linux Mint and I can log into my Plex account in Firefox and Chrome to access the same media libraries and to watch live television + DVR. Yet, on Windows, I can not do that.

It looks like I need to install Linux Mint on my Huawei. I don't want to do that, but I'm running out of ideas and options here.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2019, 04:33:30 pm »

My girlfriend's name is Veronica. I gave her an old ASUS AS31E laptop and I installed Ubuntu 16.04.5 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux on it as the primary and sole desktop operating system. I also installed Teamviewer 14.x.y 64 bit and I have remote access to her laptop because she does not know a lot about computers or technology so I administer Linux on her laptop for her.

I just installed JRiver Media Center 25.0.113 64 bit Master License on her ASUS AS31E laptop and I logged into my own JRiver media server on my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC and I can access and play everything in my media libraries just fine. She lives in her own apartment separate from my apartment here in Nutley, New Jersey. I also logged into my Plex.tv account and I was able to stream my media library and watch live television + DVR while from her ASUS AS31E laptop at her apartment while it connected to my Plex Media Server on my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC at my apartment just fine. All this was done via Teamviewer and while performance lagged heavily, it was functional.

So, I really don't understand why Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1909 won't play bueno with my mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC considering that my three PCs are inside my bedroom while connected to my Verizon FiOS Internet private network on the same IP address, subnet mask, and DNS for both JRiver Media Center and media server and Plex Media Server at my apartment. What gives? Do I have to change my desktop operating system on my Huawei ultrabook to Linux Mint? It seems so.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2019, 04:41:39 pm »

There really should be no difference when using library server between the views you see on any platform if they are all running the same major version (ie 25) of MC.

I'm having a bit of difficulty following all of your systems/OS/locations.
The ONE system you have that DOESN'T work is offsite, correct?
You are NOT using the Plex media server as a DLNA server anywhere in this picture are you??

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2019, 04:53:44 pm »

Sorry for the rambling and confusion.

1. Mid-2017 AVA Direct gaming desktop PC: My apartment #3 here in Nutley, New Jersey. JRiver Media Center 25.0.113 64 bit Master License. Connected to my Verizon FiOS Internet 75MB/s. Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" GNU/Linux.

2. Mid-2017 ASUS ROG STRIX GL702ZC gaming notebook PC: My apartment #3 here in Nutley, New Jersey. JRiver Media Center 25.0.113 64 bit Master License. Connected to my Verizon FiOS Internet 75MB/s. Linux Mint 19.2 64 bit "Tina" GNU/Linux.

3. Mid-2018 Huawei Matebook X Pro PC: My apartment #3 here in Nutley, New Jersey. JRiver Media Center 25.0.114 64 bit Master License. Connected to my Verizon FiOS Internet 75MB/s. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1909. This PC doesn't work with JRiver Media Server or Plex Media Server fully. It only shows audio and not images or videos. Plex's Live TV + DVR doesn't work.

4. ASUS AS31E laptop. Veronica's apartment #2 here in Nutley, New Jersey. JRiver Media Center 25.0.113 64 bit Master License. Connected to her Verizon FiOS Internet 75 MB/s. Ubuntu 16.04.5 64 bit LTS GNU/Linux.

By the way, Plex media server is running as a DLNA server. Why does that matter? I got two DLNA servers: JRiver and Plex. Is this the source of the problem? I don't know.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2019, 05:04:10 pm »

I completely turned off the Plex Media Server's DLNA feature and there is no difference for both JRiver and Plex media servers from my problematic Huawei ultrabook with Windows 10 Pro. So, only JRiver has a generic DLNA media server at this time. I restared Plex Media Server on my AVA Direct to force the changes to take into effect, but the end result is the same.

wellywu

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2019, 05:37:19 pm »

Bob:

Vincent Vacca is my close friend. He lives in the same apartment building as I do in apartment #2 downstairs. He has a Sager NP8657 gaming laptop running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1903. I installed and licensed JRiver Media Center 25.0.114 64 bit on his laptop. Same problem. I can access my JRiver media server and I can see and play music from the audio section, but images and videos do not show up at all. He is paying for his own Verizon FiOS Internet at 50MB/s. He has his own IP address, subnet mask and DNS at his apartment downstairs. For Plex desktop player, I signed into my account and I can see my media libraries, but Live Television + DVR don't work. However, using Google Chrome and logging into my Plex account, everything works via a web browser on Windows 10. Go figure.

5. Vincent Vacca. Apartment #2 at our apartment building here in Nutley, New Jersey. Sager NP8657 gaming notebook PC running Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 1903. JRiver Media Center 25.0.114 64 bit Master License. Verizon FiOS Internet at 50MB/s. No bueno with my JRiver media server: audio shows up, but images and videos are empty. Plex desktop player shows media libraries, but live television + DVR don't work; however, Google Chrome while logged into my Plex account works perfectly to my Plex media server via web browser. Same problem as my mid-2018 Huawei Matebook X Pro ultrabook.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2019, 10:53:59 am »

I'm going to send you a PM. Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up