INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rename, Move, and Copy Files command issue/question  (Read 638 times)

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
Rename, Move, and Copy Files command issue/question
« on: October 13, 2019, 11:04:53 am »

I use the Rename, Move, and Copy files command function to relocate a group of music files with their included folder.jpg files to a new location.

When performing this function on a number of occasions I have been greeted with the message:
"A file named folder.jpg already exists, skip, replace, or compare?"

1- this should not be possible as I am copying to a new location with a freshly created folder.
If there was more than one folder.jpg in the original folder it would have been nam,ed folder(1).jpg and thus not be an overwrite issue.

2- when this occurs, can there be an option to check for
"Do this for all such instances" or whatever the phrase Windows uses to ask this.
It is tedious to have to click the overwrite message 27 times in a row.

Thanks
I swear I am not here to drive you crazy!

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Rename, Move, and Copy Files command issue/question
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 09:43:54 am »

If MC is asking you to replace a file, I would expect that this file already exists.

This implies that MC is not writing files to where you think it is.  It's possible that the target directory is not the one you think is "new and empty".

A better possibility is this:  During an RM&C run, MC creates a new album or artist directory under your new empty directory.  Then it puts in files for the album in question.  Later in the run, it finds another identical album and artist combination, which (according to the RM&C rules you gave it) tells it to put another album in the same directory.  At that point if there's a Folder.jpg, MC sees it and says "hey do you want to overwrite this already existing file?".

If you can recreate your last overwrite RM&C configuration, you should carefully look through the list of destination directories and see if there is overlap as I have described.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what could be happening.

Brian.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 01:27:17 pm »

Thanks blgentry, but it does not appear to fit the possibilities you described.

Of more interest to me is having the option that Windows presents when copying/moving files in Explorer offering you the chance to:
1- Do the same for all files in this situation (not sure of the exact phrasing)
2- Cancel

It can get tedious if you have to answer the skip/replace question 130 times . . . only other choice I've found is to CRASH Media Center using Task Manager, not optimal.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 02:20:04 pm »

If your files are going to a fresh empty directory, then why is MC asking you for permission to replace a file?

Brian.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 03:06:55 pm »

I know, right??

Precisely my initial question.   ?

1- I know the folder was empty as I created it myself moments before the R,M,C. operation.
2- I also know there were no duplicates in the original folder, since Windows cannot create dupes in the same folder.
3- And if there were dupes of MC's creation, they would have been named 'folder.jpg' and 'folder(1).jpg' - (see #2)

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 04:25:20 pm »

I think MC is really seeing a file where it wants to write.  You can prove or disprove my theory!  The next time this happens, stop and don't answer yes or no.  Instead, go to the destination folder and look to see if there is a file there already with that name.  Then you'll know for sure. 

Brian.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2019, 04:30:53 pm »

good idea Brian,

thanks

Update:

dam, I forgot to do this today when it happened again . . . .

Only this time it happened on another machine while renaming and importing some new files into new directories. 

I will try to remember on the next occasion.
Pages: [1]   Go Up