INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What is Android TV?  (Read 2312 times)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
What is Android TV?
« on: October 15, 2019, 08:31:20 am »

I think a lot of people want to know - What is MC "android tv"? Is it just "panel" on the big screen ::) Or is it Theater View truly ported to android :)  Is it controlled by the device's remote control or by "panel"? Is there native (not transcoded) video playback? Is there 4k? HDR?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: What is Android TV?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 09:02:12 am »

In a way, we won't know what it is until it's done.  We depend on the Android OS for some things.  But maybe this might help clarify things.

Panel is a user interface only.  It's a webapp that MC serves.  It can only control MC, either remotely or locally.

JRiver for Android is a native Android App, and it's potentially much more powerful, because it is a port of MC.  The MC user interface couldn't work on a phone, so we have a simplified interface that resembles Panel.

Both stress ease of use and speed over power.

In order for any Android App to be approved for Android TV, it has to be able to support navigation from a D Pad (Up, Down, Left, Right, and Enter) so it can be used with a hardware remote.  This much is working now, but we're having trouble getting it approved.

It has to conform to the Android TV navigation.  I'm not sure if we could do Theater View on it, but there will be a lot of similarities.

We don't yet have video running, but the capabilities will depend on what Android OS supports.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 09:52:27 am »

There are also plans to extend JRemote to Android TV in the future (as part of the ongoing JRemote development right now), which would eventually try to expose as much video playback capability as the Android device offers.
Obviously its not going to offer Theater View itself, but hopefully we can come up with a usable 10ft Android TV interface, which we'll open to community feedback once we reach that part in the development.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

jachin99

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 11:35:08 am »

This is something I don't see brought up specifically but it would be very important that live TV ( with a guide) works on my Android tv.

lightsout

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 12:35:23 pm »

Is proper audio playback something that is going to be addressed, Android likes to mess with sample rates. Most flac gets upsampled to 48khz.

This can be dealt with with Kodi or mrmc so it does seem to be fixable. But kind of kills high quality audio playback for many from the Nvidia Shield (the leading android TV device)

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 03:27:44 pm »

Obviously its not going to offer Theater View itself, but hopefully we can come up with a usable 10ft Android TV interface, which we'll open to community feedback once we reach that part in the development.

I see the "Android TV" port of MC having an audience that wants to use it as a set top box.  An alternative to an HTPC.  So the 10 foot interface is the whole product from my perspective.  This is what Kodi, Plex, etc are all aimed at.  Presuming that it can do video properly I would be very interested in buying this product.

Does JRiver see the Android port as filling some different niche?  MC on a phone makes little sense to me.  But maybe there's a market?

There are millions of people looking for the right set top box.  I'm one of them.  I own two different ones:  AppleTV and Android.  Neither one runs MC, but I would sure like for the Android set top box to run it!

Brian.

rec head

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2019, 10:43:15 pm »

I see the "Android TV" port of MC having an audience that wants to use it as a set top box.  An alternative to an HTPC.  So the 10 foot interface is the whole product from my perspective.  This is what Kodi, Plex, etc are all aimed at.  Presuming that it can do video properly I would be very interested in buying this product.

Does JRiver see the Android port as filling some different niche?  MC on a phone makes little sense to me.  But maybe there's a market?

There are millions of people looking for the right set top box.  I'm one of them.  I own two different ones:  AppleTV and Android.  Neither one runs MC, but I would sure like for the Android set top box to run it!

Brian.

Agreed.

Although it isn't impossible to see myself running Android as the server and client I'd just like to get a 10ft interface client running on the Shield. If Android was the server then the PC clients would need to be able to do all the library editing/maintenance.

Nikkel

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 04:31:13 am »

We currently have 3 certified Android TV devices in use at home and would love to see what a complete JRiver setup would be like! Currently using Kodi on all of them.

tyler69

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 05:07:21 am »

Hello,

is that a product already?
Will it be possible to install on an Nvidia Shield (Pro)?
Will it be possible to connect to an MC server and use it's DSP settings?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 08:02:26 am »

Here's to hoping MC Android will have commercial skip (edl) support  ;D
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]