INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Server, controlling which files to be served  (Read 2833 times)

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
Media Server, controlling which files to be served
« on: October 15, 2019, 01:44:22 pm »

Is it possible to filter which parts of the library get served?

I am trying to control which files are being included when Media Server is used.

To date I have been unsuccessful, no matter how I define the rules under 'Customize Views'.
I have tried:
 'Include filename(Path) X:\'
'Exclude filename(Path) Y:\'
'Exclude file type .xxx'
'Remove Duplicates of filename(name)'
'Remove Duplicates of Artist, Album, Name, Track Number'

I have tried them separately and together, used (or), [and] expressions.
Nothing seems to work as expected. I still get files from other parts of my library.

This is a problem for me as Media Server is trying to include files from an off-line USB drive as well as duplicate files.

Is it possible to filter which parts of the library get served?
Am I going about it wrong?
I swear I am not here to drive you crazy!

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Media Server, controlling which files to be served
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2019, 05:31:16 pm »

Why not set up a new library which only contains the files you want served and have this library selected. The media server will then only be able to deliver the files in that library. You can keep you current library and only use it when you want to.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2019, 06:37:47 pm »

I wouldn't use a separate Library, because then you need to manage two Libraries, and switch between them when required. If you are trying to stop people even seeing part of the Library, you may want to look at the MC Users feature.

Fix your duplicates first of all, if they are in error. If they exist and should be there, then what is the issue with them?

Otherwise, create a View of what you actually want to see and use that when controlling playback.

There is no way to stop particular files being served if they are in the Library. Views and MC User IDs can manage what can be seen though.

If you need help creating a View, provide a lot more details about your environment.  Listing the rules you have tried out of context doesn't help much, although some of those rules do seem to be on track.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

BigSpider

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 06:46:25 pm »

There is no way to stop particular files being served if they are in the Library.
Which is why I suggested a media server specific library. Whatever view you have in MC is irrelevant to what a dlna enabled device will see when connected to MC - it will just show all of the files in the library currently selected.
English spiders are kind of small, but when I was living in the African rain forest well ......

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2019, 08:16:29 pm »

Which is why I suggested a media server specific library. Whatever view you have in MC is irrelevant to what a dlna enabled device will see when connected to MC - it will just show all of the files in the library currently selected.

The users option Roderick mentioned is the real solution.  It filters what media center clients can see from the server at the expense of also filtering it on the server while that user is selected.  It's much more frictionless to change users than to change libraries and you can set a password for the change (which is hardly airtight, but should foil casual escape attempts), but you're right that it won't prevent access to the files if someone knows they're there (somehow).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2019, 11:04:54 pm »

Well, that would depend on whether MC is pushing files to a Client, or a Client is pulling files from the MC Server using DLNA, or a remote control (think Gizmo acting as a DLNA Controller, or another MC instance) is used, and so on. The Views created in "Media Network > Advanced >Customize Views for JRemote, Gizmo, & Panel" can control what files are seen, and hence are playable.

Hence my request for more information.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 07:32:36 am »

The installation I am dealing with is on a machine that only holds part of my library at any one time due to disc space limitations. The remainder of my library is kept on a series of external drives (both the original FLAC rips and the matching mp3 conversions on another).

What I keep on the machine is the core of my collection, the 'everyday music' consisting of my favorites and some new material, in mp3 V-0 format for space saving and ease of streaming.

My problem arises since I wish to keep ALL my titles listed in the library for reference, but only wish to stream those actually on the machine in Media Server.  Keeping 2 libraries does not work well as MC will not keep separate options for Import folders and such in each library and the wrong library may be loaded when Media Server is used. Keeping 2 different MC versions works no better as MC 24 interferes with MC25.
I do not wish to keep my USB drives on line when not in use and use them mostly as storage and back-up.

I can use another brand of software product as the media server instead of MC's media server, but that has it's own issues.

So, I want my cake and to eat is also, but my goal it to have a library that lists ALL my music files, but only serves those currently on the machine.

I hope this clarifies things.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 08:50:46 am »

Have you tried using Stacks? You can maintain one library, stack your mp3's and flac's on top of each other, and when you plug in your external drives, if the FLAC file is available, it will be played, else the local mp3 copy will be played.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 08:56:20 am »

Have you tried using Stacks? You can maintain one library, stack your mp3's and flac's on top of each other, and when you plug in your external drives, if the FLAC file is available, it will be played, else the local mp3 copy will be played.

Actually I have not, at least not since they were first introduced at which time I had some problems with them which I forget, and that function was early-on then and may have been improved since.

While that may have some advantages in file handling in my library, will that be effective in prevent my dupes in the Gizmo problem?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:01:34 am »

Actually I have not, at least not since they were first introduced at which time I had some problems with them which I forget, and that function was early-on then and may have been improved since.

While that may have some advantages in file handling in my library, will that be effective in prevent my dupes in the Gizmo problem?

The Gizmo problem seems like a caching issue? Have you tried cleaning the app storage data on Android? Also, have you confirmed that multiple copies of the file do not exist in MC? Whenever I have run into issues like this in the past, no matter how impossible they seemed, it always boiled down to user (me!) error.

DJLegba

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 09:10:09 am »

Otherwise, create a View of what you actually want to see and use that when controlling playback.

This is definitely the solution to your problem.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 11:11:41 am »

This is definitely the solution to your problem.

Tried this, set the Advanced options in Media Server to only include that playlist, still got the entire library served.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 11:15:08 am »

The Gizmo problem seems like a caching issue? Have you tried cleaning the app storage data on Android? Also, have you confirmed that multiple copies of the file do not exist in MC? Whenever I have run into issues like this in the past, no matter how impossible they seemed, it always boiled down to user (me!) error.

Yes, tried the Android end, even used another DLNA app there.

The dupes exist in the Library, not in the machine . . . they are files on that local hard drive I wish to listen to and are clones of the ones on the USB drive. So they are sort of virtual dupes, which then will cause playback errors on the Android end.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 11:26:08 am »

Tried this, set the Advanced options in Media Server to only include that playlist, still got the entire library served.

I stand corrected!   :-[

After rebooting overnight and testing this again today the 'Server_Playlist' being created as the only thing included in Media Server appears to have done the trick.

If I find otherwise I will be back but it seems fixed. Although I do not understand why other scenarios were unsuccessful I will happily accept this solution.

Thanks to all for the help, you guys are awesome.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 12:12:35 pm »

I use MC "Users" for this, it works good for PC's (clients). Wish there was a way to create a startup/shortcut to auto-load a User at MC startup on a client, and it's impossible to make it work with "Panel", because it just logs into the Server's current User with no way to switch User. Wondering if MC Android port will have ability to change User?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 12:14:47 pm »

yes, Media Server is great but it does have limits.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2019, 10:19:49 am »

Problem is NOT solved!

Today I added an album of FLAC files as well as their mp3 conversions (where both will reside until I transfer to my USB drives).

Unfortunately MC sees these files and serves them to my Client in spite of them NOT being included in the 'Server_Playlist'
Actually it is also serving both the local server files AND the off-line USB drive files so this method did not work at all.

SO I cannot use MC as my Library/Server and my File Manager or I have dupes served, whether both mp3's or one mp3 and one FLAC.

Are STACKS my answer, or maybe the USER idea posted? I am uncertain how or if this would work.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2019, 11:19:25 am »

Problem is NOT solved!

Today I added an album of FLAC files as well as their mp3 conversions (where both will reside until I transfer to my USB drives).

Unfortunately MC sees these files and serves them to my Client in spite of them NOT being included in the 'Server_Playlist'
Actually it is also serving both the local server files AND the off-line USB drive files so this method did not work at all.

SO I cannot use MC as my Library/Server and my File Manager or I have dupes served, whether both mp3's or one mp3 and one FLAC.

Are STACKS my answer, or maybe the USER idea posted? I am uncertain how or if this would work.

Either there is a bug in the Library Server customize views whereby extra files are included in the view or you have configured it incorrectly. Regardless, the feature you are looking for has already been implemented, it is either broken (and needs to be fixed) or you have misconfigured it.

Just to clarify, you are altering the view in Settings>Media Network>Advanced>"Customize views..." and using the "Set rules for file display" to include/exclude your files, correct?

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2019, 12:15:53 pm »

Either there is a bug in the Library Server customize views whereby extra files are included in the view or you have configured it incorrectly. Regardless, the feature you are looking for has already been implemented, it is either broken (and needs to be fixed) or you have misconfigured it.

Just to clarify, you are altering the view in Settings>Media Network>Advanced>"Customize views..." and using the "Set rules for file display" to include/exclude your files, correct?

Yes that is where I have configured any and all the rules I have tried, including limiting to one playlist to be included.
I have tried many options as described above, I really doubt I mis-configured them all every time.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2019, 12:20:04 pm »

The stated customization is for JRemote, Gizmo, and Panel.

There is no configuration for making a shared library have less content to another Media Center.  Deleting the files from the source, or using the View > User menu are possible choices.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2019, 12:25:37 pm »

The stated customization is for JRemote, Gizmo, and Panel.

There is no configuration for making a shared library have less content to another Media Center.  Deleting the files from the source, or using the View > User menu are possible choices.

Matt,
I appreciate the clarification, prevents further tail chasing.  :)

Question, is there some other way to achieve my goal, or can/will one be forthcoming?
I'd really like to use MC as my file & library manager as well as my media server without having to use additional software products.

DJLegba

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2019, 12:29:51 pm »

Problem is NOT solved!

I don't know what playlists have to do with views. RoderickGI has a lot of patience so if you send him a PM he may be kind enough to help you customize a view.

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2019, 12:31:09 pm »

Matt,
I appreciate the clarification, prevents further tail chasing.  :)

Question, is there some other way to achieve my goal, or can/will one be forthcoming?
I'd really like to use MC as my file & library manager as well as my media server without having to use additional software products.

I thought we were still talking about an MC>Gizmo issue.

In this case, it really depends on your specific usage scenario. Perhaps you could have a second instance of MC server serving your scoped files and use file tags to 'communicate' between your master library and the secondary media server (by using auto-import to watch for file tag changes)?

BryanC

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2019, 12:36:18 pm »

I don't know what playlists have to do with views. RoderickGI has a lot of patience so if you send him a PM he may be kind enough to help you customize a view.

Presumably he is using an "is in playlist rule" to scope his views using a smartlist.

Are you by chance editing these views/smartlists on an MC client?

There is a long-standing bug whereby the "is in playlist" rules are blanked if you attempt to edit/view the smartlist/view on an MC client. Have you made sure that your rules are still intact?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2019, 01:31:14 pm »

We just implemented the really cool feature for v26 to be able to specify what is included in the share.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Here's the history:
NEW: You can specify what files to include in the share for Library Server in Options > Media Network > Set rules for included files...

blgentry

« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2019, 02:38:47 pm »

Let's try to define what is desired.

Abra has repeatedly said "being served" by MC.  What exactly does this mean?  Is Abra looking at these files locally in the MC interface?  Using another MC client?  Is this from Gizmo or JRemote?  A DLNA device?

Brian.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2019, 03:02:49 pm »

Let's try to define what is desired.

Abra has repeatedly said "being served" by MC.  What exactly does this mean?  Is Abra looking at these files locally in the MC interface?  Using another MC client?  Is this from Gizmo or JRemote?  A DLNA device?

Brian.

It means they appear in Gizmo, in an MC client on another computer, and in other DLNA software.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2019, 03:03:15 pm »

We just implemented the really cool feature for v26 to be able to specify what is included in the share.

Thanks a lot for the suggestion!

Here's the history:
NEW: You can specify what files to include in the share for Library Server in Options > Media Network > Set rules for included files...

You.Guyz.Rock!

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2019, 03:06:16 pm »

Presumably he is using an "is in playlist rule" to scope his views using a smartlist.

Are you by chance editing these views/smartlists on an MC client?

There is a long-standing bug whereby the "is in playlist" rules are blanked if you attempt to edit/view the smartlist/view on an MC client. Have you made sure that your rules are still intact?

I am using an "is in playlist rule" to scope his views using a smartlist.

No editing was done in the Client,and the rules are still intact.

Thanks Bryan, I believe Matt just unraveled this entire thread with the solution.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2019, 03:11:55 pm »

You.Guyz.Rock!

Thanks!

I was talking to our server expert Bob double-checking that there was really no way to specify what got shared.  He said there wasn't, but was always kind of wished the feature was there.

So it seemed like a neat thing to add!  Took a little back and forth to figure out how to catch the library as it's being backed up to share, but it's working great now.

Like I said, thanks for the suggestion.

blgentry

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2019, 03:32:22 pm »

Abbra:

MC26 is a while off still, but perhaps it will address what you need.

In the mean time, you should build an MC view, in your normal computer interface, that only shows the media you want shown.  That should be quite easy if you have your "on the computer" files separated by drive or top level directory.  Just one or two include statements should do it.

Make sure that view totally works.  Then, when viewing from another MC client, only use that view.  That should cover that part.

For Gizmo and JRemote go to where you've been setting up your view (Media network > advanced > customize....).  In there DUPLICATE the definition of the view you developed above. 

Using a playlist is goofy.  Use VIEWS.

Finally for DLNA, you need yet another definition:

Tools > Options > media network > add or configure DLNA servers > (select your server definition here) > customize views

In there you should again DUPLICATE the definition of your master view that you created in the first step in the main MC interface.

Why are there 3 places to do this?  Well, there are 4 actually, because Theater View has it's own views too.  So why are there FOUR places to do this?  I'm not sure.  I'm sure it's kind of a pain.  But that's how it works.  If you want your views to have similar behaviors, you have to edit all of them to be the same.  They don't get shared or updated.

Good luck.

Brian.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2019, 03:37:42 pm »

Thank you Brian,

I will set this up first chance I get, following your excellent instructions.

Much Appreciated,
Lisa

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2019, 01:12:20 pm »

Brian,

Thanks for all your help, that seems to have worked as I am no longer seeing dupes in Gizmo and the View works great on my MC Client.

Only thing that did not work as expected was the DLNA settings. I used the same rules but if I try to access using a DLNA Client other than a JRiver product I get no files served at all.
I can live with that until MC26 debuts.

blgentry

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 05:09:07 pm »

I'm really happy to hear that it mostly worked!  :)

I'm not very good at DLNA stuff.  I stay away from it mostly.  But there are a good number of people here that are very experienced.  Hopefully one of them will have something constructive to add.

Take care.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2019, 06:02:29 pm »

Only thing that did not work as expected was the DLNA settings. I used the same rules but if I try to access using a DLNA Client other than a JRiver product I get no files served at all.

About the only time I see this is when the DLNA Client itself is filtering the files, and combined with the filtering the MC Views do, the result is "No files to display", or whatever message the DLNA Client uses.

For example, if I push video to my Sony TV as a DLNA Renderer, the TV opens and uses the "Video" App to play the video.
If I push audio (music) to my Sony TV as a DLNA Renderer, the TV opens and uses the "Music " App to play the music.

But if I am in the Video App on the TV and try to drill down into the Audio folders in the View the App displays, then there are no files to plays, because the Video App filters out everything except Video files, before displaying the contents of the View.

You may be seeing something similar, if not exactly the same.

Abbra Cadabra

• World Citizen
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2019, 10:28:51 am »

You may be seeing something similar, if not exactly the same.

Thanks for this insight, I will check into this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up