INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IdPi 4B Startup issues with network  (Read 1216 times)

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
IdPi 4B Startup issues with network
« on: October 20, 2019, 02:48:49 pm »

I am using a Pi4B with the latest Id 25.0.7 with MC 25.0.107.

If i start the Pi with ethernet plugged in all is good. It starts fine, works fine.

If I pull out the ethernet after it starts MC disappears and doesn't come back.
It's possible that adding an access key stopped MC from disappearing, but with or without using an access key MC disappears if I pull out ethernet while wicd is open. It doesn't come back. See image below:

Without an access key when I start the PI without ethernet I get the following displayed but MC never opens:

With an access key when I start the PI without ethernet I get the following displayed but MC never opens:

In both cases I can connect to the access point but can't do anything without MC being open.

Having the Pi act as an accesspoint is very exiting, I hope I can use it soon as it opens up a ton of possibilities.

bob

• Administrator
Re: IdPi 4B Startup issues with network
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2019, 09:29:12 pm »

If you start with the Id with the ethernet plugged in it will grab a network connection. If you pull the cable, after 1 minute it will go into accesspoint mode for configuration of the wireless connection. That's the only reason the accesspoint is there.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2019, 11:54:11 pm »

If you pull the cable, after 1 minute it will go into accesspoint mode for configuration of the wireless connection. That's the only reason the accesspoint is there.
That makes sense, but MC just disappears and doesn't come back when I pull the cord out. If I start the Id without ethernet plugged in MC never opens. So basically I can't use my Id without being connected to a network.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2019, 09:20:04 am »

That makes sense, but MC just disappears and doesn't come back when I pull the cord out. If I start the Id without ethernet plugged in MC never opens. So basically I can't use my Id without being connected to a network.
Yes, that's true. I guess that's a side effect of trying to auto-configure the network. If there is no network connection, MC is not started because the Id is in accesspoint config mode.
You might be able to work around that by doing static network configuration in the Wicd network configuration. IIRC the Id is only looking for a valid default route, not a actual link up status. Try configuring it to a real unused static address on your LAN and then pulling the ethernet cable. No guarantees because Wicd might refuse to configure a down interface but it's worth a try.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 02:30:08 pm »

Thanks Bob

I think I understand it now. The accesspoint is just used to get the Pi onto a wireless network. I thought it was trying to act like a hotspot so remotes could be used without a network present. I plan on using my Id with Ethernet for the time being so it should work fine for me. I was trying to import, build thumbnails, etc without connecting to my network which caused the confusion. I will try to use it off network with a Static IP when I have time.
Pages: [1]   Go Up