INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to change filenames from UPPER CASE to Proper Case?  (Read 2504 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
How to change filenames from UPPER CASE to Proper Case?
« on: October 20, 2019, 10:14:52 pm »

G'day

I have made a workaround for this problem using Excel with a formula =Proper(cell) but it's tedious copying them all over, especially when there are 40 tracks in a folder, and even more particularly because the Windows clipboard is an erratic and unreliable POS (when it works it's great and simple-quick-easy, but far too often it drops out names that have been added or rearranges the order).

A minor problem with this method is that DON'T becomes Don'T but that dON't come up very often.  ;D

So I wonder if there is a way it can be done in JRiver with some kind of formula or rule? I can't see anything in Rename, Move & Copy Files (or the wiki), but I figure this is probably a common problem for users.

Quite often it's the filenames and the track names as well, but sometimes it's either/or.

marko

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: How to change filenames from UPPER CASE to Proper Case?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2019, 11:38:04 pm »

Have a look at "Library Tools > Clean File Properties"... Pay particular attention to the capitilisation options.

Does that help?

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2019, 11:55:09 pm »

Excellent Marko - thank you! There's so much more useful stuff in there too.....

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 12:33:54 am »

The "Library Tools > Clean File Properties" will fix tags, but if you want to change actual file names to Title (Proper) Case, then use the Rename, Move & Copy Files function and wrap your Filename rules in the FixCase() function, in the form;

FixCase({Filename Rules}, 1)

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/String_Manipulation_Functions#FixCase

Just check the Preview in RM&CF carefully, as FixCase() capitalises all words, including "the" "of" etc.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 01:17:02 am »

Rightio, thanks Roderick. I'm sure that will get used too.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2019, 07:12:16 pm »

The "Library Tools > Clean File Properties" will fix tags, but if you want to change actual file names to Title (Proper) Case, then use the Rename, Move & Copy Files function and wrap your Filename rules in the FixCase() function, in the form;

FixCase({Filename Rules}, 1)

https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/String_Manipulation_Functions#FixCase

Just check the Preview in RM&CF carefully, as FixCase() capitalises all words, including "the" "of" etc.
So the time has come when this will be very useful (Knew it would), but there's something I'm missing here Roderick. It's actually quite tricky to get this in a format where it will do it in one pass.

For the benefit of others who may read this:

If I enter
FixCase(FileName(),1)
into a Filename rule it wants to add an extra .flac so that it becomes .Flac.flac

Finally, after fiddling around for *a while*, it seems the expression for changing
\IT'S A BOY.flac
to \It's A Boy.flac
 is
FixCase(FileName(,0),1)

The ",0" can be "," but if you delete the ,0 you get
\It's A Boy.Flac.flac

It's very confusing, and I think the Wiki explanation could be improved with some fuller examples. Converting CAPS to Title Case or similar is something that must surely be done quite a bit.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2019, 08:25:23 pm »

I probably didn't give a good example with the expression I used, or at least the structure FixCase({Filename Rules}, 1) could be confusing.

I was expecting you to use something like;
FixCase([Name], 1)

or as these are track names;

FixCase([Track #] - [Name], 1)

That is, what was in the squiggly brackets {Filename Rules}, could be any expression using existing tags that defined how you wanted the files to be named. But, your solution works.  8)

In fact, your solution to use the Filename(,0) function, which indirectly uses the [Filename (name)] tag without the file extension, is neat and only involves the existing file name tag, and no others, so it is probably the most accurate method to use, for what you wanted.

Well done!
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2019, 03:54:39 am »

In fact, your solution to use the Filename(,0) function, which indirectly uses the [Filename (name)] tag without the file extension, is neat and only involves the existing file name tag, and no others, so it is probably the most accurate method to use, for what you wanted.
Well I'd already fixed the track names with Marko's method in Clean File Properties, so it was only the filenames that were outstanding.

I would still suggest that the Wiki needs some more fulsome examples which would make it much easier to understand this particular aspect.

Very impressed with JRiver though, and the support available!
Pages: [1]   Go Up