INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Copying dsf files by album (not individual tracks)  (Read 1660 times)

giva

• Recent member
Copying dsf files by album (not individual tracks)
« on: October 28, 2019, 05:32:14 pm »

I need to copy all of my dsd files to a separate drive so I can play them via the USB input on my receiver.  I searched by album, the by file type and attempted to copy.  Sadly, what I got on the drive is all of the track 1's then all of the 2's, etc.  All of the "albums" are on several drives and mixed in with the other type files.  Is there a way to copy the complete "albums" to another location via JRiver?  Thanks!

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Copying dsf files by album (not individule tracks)
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 09:21:00 am »

Not sure why you need to have the files on a separate drive to play them via USB, but it certainly can be done. There are two options - copy and rename.  Copy simply creates a new copy of the files in a new location, independent of MC. Rename will move the files and change the drive association within MC.

Do a search using the wizard (right click on search) for all DSD file types and select the albums to copy/rename.  Right click and select Library Tools and Rename, Move & Copy files.  Select Copy or Rename and check Find and Replace. Replace the existing drive letter with the new one, e.g. replace c: with d:  The right hand side of the display will show you the change to be made.

Do one or two albums at first to be sure the logic is working correctly.

giva

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 02:05:10 pm »

The reason I need to move the files to a separate drive is so that I can plug that drive, alone, into my receiver that plays DSD native and not use MC at all (for these files).  The way that you have described copies the files so that the receiver see's them as individual tracks...  If there is a way to output the .dsf file via USB from MC (I use HDMI currently, and my receiver wont play the files via a network) I'm open to that...  Thanks again.

giva

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 02:16:38 pm »

My collection resides on 10 external hard drives...

dtc

• MC Beta Team
Re: Copying dsf files by album (not individual tracks)
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 02:31:15 pm »

USB is a standard way to output dsd files, but it depends on whether your receiver will accept that type of input. Some do, but some only accept a direct connection to a disk. It depends on your receiver. You need to look into just what your receiver will accept.

The way I suggest copying them puts them into the same folder structure you already have, just on a different disk. I presume that is some sort of artist/album/track folder structure.  It is up to the receiver to group them as albums, which it usually does using either the folder structure or using the album or album artists tags. You need to figure out what structure and tags the receiver is expecting in order to show them as albums.  MC can put the files/tracks in any format that works for your receiver.

giva

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 07:15:43 pm »

Sorry for the delay.  Thanks very much.  How do I connect to select in audio set up the Sony with a USB?  Simply USB A to USB A?  Thank you.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 08:33:50 pm »

USB A out of the PC and whatever USB connection the Sony uses. What model?  You might also be able to use DLNA over wireless.

giva

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 08:30:57 am »

I tried DNLA, and it did not work.  It states in the manual that .dsf might not work(!) via DNLA. Thanks again for the info.  Much appreciated. 

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 08:54:38 am »

Others have got DLNA to work on Sony receivers, but it requires some changes.

Take a look at this thread.

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122263.0.html

It is long, but the fix was to change this file

FileAssociations.xml

See this post

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122263.msg846813.html#msg846813

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 09:47:28 am »

Depending on your model, my guess is that usb will not work with a computer. I think it is just for disk devices. But, it depends on the model.  I looked at the 1080 online manual and it clearly says disks only.  So, DLNA may be your best option.
Pages: [1]   Go Up