INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ATSC OTA TV on Linux ?  (Read 2259 times)

rudyrednose

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
ATSC OTA TV on Linux ?
« on: October 30, 2019, 12:55:25 pm »

The only thing keeping my HTPCs on Windows is TV support.  I have one MC server and multiple HTPCs.

Any hope for OTA TV support (ATSC) in Linux versions of MC25? MC26?

I am using HDHomeruns networked tuners.

Cheers.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: ATSC OTA TV on Linux ?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »

Support on linux for the HDHomerun networked tuners (in my case CableCARD) is also on my wish list.  It feels like it might be possible because my linux PCs can see and stream from the tuners with other programs (like VLC), I just can't manage to get MC to open the webstream successfully. 

Native support for networked TV tuners would be lovely, but I'd settle for just being able to open them like any other video stream.  Obviously hardware-based tuners are a different issue.

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2019, 02:42:34 pm »

Support on linux for the HDHomerun networked tuners (in my case CableCARD) is also on my wish list.  It feels like it might be possible because my linux PCs can see and stream from the tuners with other programs (like VLC), I just can't manage to get MC to open the webstream successfully. 

Native support for networked TV tuners would be lovely, but I'd settle for just being able to open them like any other video stream.  Obviously hardware-based tuners are a different issue.
Interesting, what's a webstream URL that fails?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 09:14:57 pm »

Interesting, what's a webstream URL that fails?

Bob thanks for chiming in, I hadn't actually tested the webstream in a few months and I got a very pleasant surprise. 

The HDhomerun network tuners expose all their channels as webstreams, but they're local in-LAN streams (so I can't just link you to one of mine).  They look like this:
Code: [Select]
http://192.168.1.10:5004/auto/v5

Where 192.168.1.10 is the local ip address of the tuner and where 5 is the channel number.

Interestingly, those webstreams now play in MC (they didn't earlier in the MC25 release cycle)!  That means I can setup bookmarks for MC and can have some (rudimentary) live TV functionality right now. 

That said, given that the TV playback for HDHomerun tuners at least appears to actually work in MC for linux right now, is there any chance we could get an option to turn the TV menu options on so we could download guide data?  That would be a dream (it's one of the last linux transition sticking points for my wife).

Regardless, I'm excited I can watch live TV in MC for linux!

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2019, 11:49:35 am »

Bob thanks for chiming in, I hadn't actually tested the webstream in a few months and I got a very pleasant surprise. 

The HDhomerun network tuners expose all their channels as webstreams, but they're local in-LAN streams (so I can't just link you to one of mine).  They look like this:
Code: [Select]
http://192.168.1.10:5004/auto/v5

Where 192.168.1.10 is the local ip address of the tuner and where 5 is the channel number.

Interestingly, those webstreams now play in MC (they didn't earlier in the MC25 release cycle)!  That means I can setup bookmarks for MC and can have some (rudimentary) live TV functionality right now. 

That said, given that the TV playback for HDHomerun tuners at least appears to actually work in MC for linux right now, is there any chance we could get an option to turn the TV menu options on so we could download guide data?  That would be a dream (it's one of the last linux transition sticking points for my wife).

Regardless, I'm excited I can watch live TV in MC for linux!
I think this is probably because we changed User Agent a bit ago. I had a hunch that it might work now.
I'll look at the TV menu options to see if that's possible.
Pages: [1]   Go Up