INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creating a second library  (Read 2044 times)

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
Creating a second library
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:41:01 am »

G'day

The time has come where I think I should create a second library dedicated to Classical music. The default library has 1060 albums in it, so the lists get a bit long (I have about 350 classical albums to add). Besides, I don't want Beethoven rubbing shoulders with riff-raff like Beefheart  ::)

Having read the Wiki, it seems simple enough to do, but is adding a second library what people would recommend - or another approach?

I don't run a NAS, just straight off the laptop, and I'm the only one operating it. These things can change, of course....

Cheers
FF

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Creating a second library
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:26:24 am »

I made a second library to cull out the litter.   I had many, many recordings over the years that I wished I never had bought in the first place.   So I bought a hard drive and just copied the top tier of music and created a new library for it.

For classical, I copied just the best for each composer and once in a while, I'll question my original decision and copy a few more over.   

Other than that, I never use the old library anymore.   One of the downsides was updating the TAG information.    I wish I could update the old and new hard drive libraries simultaneously because it is a lot of work.   

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 05:33:18 am »

Thanks for your reply Dennis.

These would be two completely separate, non-intersecting or overlapping libraries, so the tagging shouldn't be a problem (or ....any more of a problem than Classical already is....).

Dennis in FL

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 06:05:00 am »

Yes...but I when I fill in missing tag information, I want to not do it again.

Inevitably, the missing tags are composer, artist, conductor, orchestra, album art, and album title format consistency.

Be nice to address this somewhere on the JRiver site so it trickles down to all of us.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2019, 07:14:14 am »

You can accomplish essentially the same thing with a little extra tagging and use of views. For example, you can create a tag that identifies the primary and secondary albums. Then you can have views of for primary, secondary and all. That would cut down the albums in each view. It would mean more views, but for the secondary albums, maybe you do not need that many views. And, you can use the hierarchy in the tree to hide the secondary ones most of the time.   Or, you could also use the primary/secondary tag as the first or second level of the view scheme, which would mean not having to repeat the views for primary and secondary, although you would have to select it each time you go into a view.

Judiciously chosen views would probably make the library manageable - Early, Medieval, Baroque, Classical, Romantic, Modern, Opera, etc. Even Classical -  First Viennese School if you have a lot of those. You can then use sub-genre or stacks to simply each view.  For example, stack each composer and if you have a lot of one composer, further separate by some other criteria, like a range of years. There are multiple classical classification schemes that you could use.

The library is build for just this type of task.  It is much easier to manage one library than two, as Dennis points out.  I would experiment with various tagging and view schemes before separating the library into two.

FenceFurniture

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:21 pm »

The library is build for just this type of task.  It is much easier to manage one library than two, as Dennis points out.  I would experiment with various tagging and view schemes before separating the library into two.

Ok, thanks for that. I have previously put a "z" before their surnames in the Album Artist tag, so that in Artist display all the Classical composers are grouped together at the end of the list. For the moment I will persist with that, and not start a second library. In the Genre tag I have used Classical across the board, so I can use that display if I wish. (it's very quick to take the "z" out if I wish to - but so far I haven't found it intrusive or problematic in any way)

I thought about using Composer but looking at that just now it brings up far too many one track composers from people like Andrea Bocelli, Pavarotti, 3 Tenors etc where they are performing works from a bunch of different people on the same CD.

The other thing I am doing is including years in the folder names as well as the tags. Given that I have extremely limited knowledge (so far) of Classical Composers I am finding this to be very instructive. So I have a folder within Mozart like:
Symphony #31 'Paris'  (1779)  (p1988)

The second date is the performance year. I am putting composition years in the Date tag so that in JR they all display in career order, which is also enlightening for me. The (p1988) goes at the end of the Album Name which gives me everything in the heading in JR and also chronologises two performances of the same work.

Thus, I have learnt that Captain Arthur Phillip would not have heard Mozart's Symphony 40 or 41 as "new releases" because he was busy establishing Sydney Town in the new colony of Australia in 1788, when they were written :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up