INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: bizarre subtitles display  (Read 588 times)

nitephlight

• World Citizen
bizarre subtitles display
« on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:21 pm »

tried to do a search for this already, but kind of hard to explain without a screenshot.

been watching a fair amount of subtitled anime recently, and i've noticed a problem with subtitles in certain scenes where the entire screen will fill with random numbers. i initially suspected there was some unrecognized character in the embedded subtitles (not a separate srt file), but playing the same file in VLC does not present this issue.

any thoughts? (screenshot attached) thanks friends!

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Re: bizarre subtitles display
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2019, 09:08:07 am »

That looks like a broken sub to me? I think you are spot on with the unrecognized character. Might be a problem with UTF-8 vs other systems? Have you tried opening the subtitle with a capable text editor (e.g. notepad++ on windows) and looking for the broken parts?

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 04:20:06 am »

That looks like SSA/ASS subs ... kind that anime community love to use ... and kind that MC has problems at the moment

JRiver will be fixing this problem in upcoming MC26

If you want to see if subs are bad ... try playing it with MPC-HC ... that player has excellent SSA handling
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)

nitephlight

• World Citizen
Re: bizarre subtitles display [SOLVED]
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2019, 05:06:56 am »

That looks like SSA/ASS subs ... kind that anime community love to use ... and kind that MC has problems at the moment

JRiver will be fixing this problem in upcoming MC26

If you want to see if subs are bad ... try playing it with MPC-HC ... that player has excellent SSA handling

ah, thanks for the heads-up! they certainly do favor that standard - realized the problem exclusively occurs when there are signs or written text within the scene that requires detailed text management. all is fine in MPC and VLC so i'll hang tight.

thanks for your help!

tij

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2019, 05:19:16 am »

If SSA/ASS are just one line like normal subtitles (no fancy stuff) ... displayed one at a time ... then MC can handle it (sort of ... the exact location on screen is not respected)

If there are separate text to be displayed at same time (usually different location on screen ... like signs ... exclamations like “BOOM”) ... then MC cannot properly handle those ... position and formatting gets off

and atm no funny text formatting like rotation ... and no animation like karaoke

Hopefully whole SSA/ASS renderer gets overhauled to meet SSA/ASS specs

Hendrick promise it will be fixed in MC26
HTPC: Win11 Pro, MC: latest 31(64b), NV Driver: v425.31, CPU: i9-12900K, 32GB RAM, GeForce: 2080ti
Screen: LG 2016 E6
NAS: FreeNAS 11.1, SuperMicro SSG-5048R-E1CR36L, E5-1620v4, 64GB ECC RAM, 18xUltrastar He12-SAS3 drives, 2x240GB SSD (OS)
Pages: [1]   Go Up