INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: After Restore - Some Audio Files Don't Play - File Name & Path are Correct!!  (Read 2298 times)

tangolovers

• World Citizen

MC 23.0.104 on Windows 10...

Moving my library from one computer to another, when I do a restore on the Windows 10 machine (new one) many of my Library entries do not play (audio).  I have checked everything - the file names & file paths are 100% Correct!!  There is nothing that should prevent these from playing.

This is a 64-bit Windows 10 machine.  First I tried the 64-bit version and after seeing several strange anomalies, so I uninstalled and am now running the 32-bit version of MC 23.0.104 to see if that would yield different results.  Same. 

Sidenote:
There seems to be something strange about running MC23 on Windows 10.  The other anomaly I ran into with both 32-bit & 64-bit MC23 on Windows 10 (unlike my Windows 7 machine) -- In Auto Import & Configure Auto Import the Add folders path always default (and revert to) C:\Users\susie\Music/ - not the "/" forward slash.  I don't recall ever running into this on a Windows machine for the path.  Then, when it imports many (but not all  :-\) paths look like this:  C:\Users\susie\Music/\Folder+Album Name.   It's bizarre - the fact that I see this only on about 1/2 of my files paths.  Seeing "/\" in the path does not seem right.  When I correct this to having all single "\" backslashes, it doesn't help the files that wouldn't play.

Need help!!!  ?

Susie
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe

You have posted in the Mac forum. Have you moved from a Mac computer to a Windows 10 computer?

If so, that would explain what you are seeing, and also probably explain files not playing, and the duplicates issue you are also having, and the files won't import issue I think you are having.

EDIT: Ah yes, I see you are coming from a Mac, and also that you had the duplicates problem over a year ago, and it looks like you never fixed it.

Post some images that show the full file paths of some duplicate files.

Tell us why you went back to the 32bit version of MC as well. Are you using 32bit plug-ins, VSTs, or something? Because if not, there is no reason to use the 32bit on Windows 10. The 64bit version works fine. The strange anomalies you were seeing were due to restoring a Mac Library onto a Windows 10 computer.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tangolovers

• World Citizen

Forgive me for posting in the wrong place - and thank you for moving the post...

Actually, in August 2017 I fixed the migration & duplicates problem related to transferring Libraries between MAC & PC.  In reality, I developed a very smooth process for transferring libraries between MAC & PC, for which I posted the detailed process (see link below).  Never had a problem since...  but, with my new Windows 10 machine I am an issue with many files that just don't play (~10%-20%) whether I transfer from MAC or Windows 7 machine.  I have many random files that just won't play yet the path is 100% correct!!  That's when I attempt to verify this by reimporting, which then causes the duplicates (that play), but both point to exactly the same library. 

It's actually quite simple to go between MAC & PC as I've done many times now.   I didn't start having this problem until I got my new Windows 10 machine - to replace the old Windows 7 one.  Here's where I posted how I transition between MAC & PC seamlessly (before Windows 10)...   https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,111695.msg771944.html#msg771944

I reverted to 32-bit version (as mentioned above) because the 64-bit version seemed to be giving me these anomalies of files not playing and after doing a re-import it produced strange filepaths of C:\Users\susie\Music\My Music/\Album-name... note the strange use of "/\" which shows up in about 50% of the filepaths (the other 50% normal), which makes it even more mysterious!!  Yet most of the files with "/\" in the path still played.   So far I don't appear to be getting this weird path in the 32-bit version, which BTW, says it works on all systems.

RoderickGI - How do I post a screenshot of the duplicate files with same file name/path as you have suggested??

Thank you for your assistance!
SusieM - I'm Using MC on MacOS & Windows 10.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

In Windows 10.

Display a View that shows what we want to see. Copy a standard View and add columns to it if necessary. Expand the [Filename] column so that we can see the full file paths.

Press the Window Key+Shift+S to open the Windows "Snip & Sketch" application. Drag the crosshairs around the area you want to show to select it. Annotate the image if you wish or need to. Click the floppy disc icon to save the image to a file somewhere, in the png or jpg format. Give it a sensible name. Take note of where you saved it!
When you post, underneath the window you type in is a blue line "Attachments and other options". Click that.
Click the "Choose file" button, then navigate to the file you just saved and select it.
Make any note you want in the post, then Post it.

Done.

Or you can use the "Printscreen" or "Alt+Printscreen" buttons to save the screen or just an application window, respectively, to the Clipboard.
Then open Windows Paint and Paste the image into that, add stuff if you want, then save the image and attached it to a Post, as above.

Or there are lots of other applications to take screen images and save them as files. Basically, create an image file, then attached it to a Post in the forum.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team

BTW, there is some new functionality in MC25 which may make your transfer process easier. I'm not sure about that because I haven't used it, but it is supposed to do what you need without any Library conversion.

25.0.100 (9/13/2019)

1. NEW: Added a dialog "Portable Library" to allow setting up the filename conversions needed between Windows, Mac, and Linux.

A description and discussion can be found in this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122099.0.html

Someone else trying it here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122186.0.html

And here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122867.0.html

It would be worth upgrading to MC26 now, the licence for which will work with MC25.0.114, and MC26 when it is released. I think there is still a discounted price available. See https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122405.0.html Then you could immediately try this new functionality. It could simplify your transfers a lot, and eliminate the cause of duplicates.

Also, with the current method you linked to for MC23, if you turned off Auto Import before making a backup on the PC, and on the Mac if you don't load settings during the Library Restore, then MC wouldn't import all the files again on the Mac, and therefore you wouldn't have to find and delete them on the Mac before fixing the original PC based paths. Then just turn on Auto Import when the transfer and fix was all finished.

Finally, there is no functional difference between the 32bit and 64bit versions of MC. Only the compatibility issue with plug-ins, VSTs, and maybe some other non-JRiver software. It is really best to use the 64bit version of software these days, particularly on modern PCs with more memory etc. I don't know why you didn't see anomalies in the 32bit version, but did in the 64bit version, but I suspect that could have been data or workflow related. Or it could have been because a "/" was included at the end of the File Location setting in the Library. I have a vague memory of such a "bug" being fixed a long time ago. Still being on MC23, you have missed out on a lot of fixes!
Pages: [1]   Go Up