INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Media Centre runs install every time I play a file  (Read 493 times)

Kashegan

• Recent member
Media Centre runs install every time I play a file
« on: November 29, 2019, 04:33:44 am »

Why does Media centre (25 and previous versions) run an install process when I click on a media file in my (Windows File Explorer) Library?
Is there a way to stop this, as there are obviously not updates issued that often.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Media Centre runs install every time I play a file
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2019, 05:41:44 am »

Usually, if an installation program runs when a User tries to run MC, it is because the shortcut they are using points to the MC installation program, instead of the "Media Center 25.exe" executable.

As you are seeing an install process when you click on a media file, there are two possibilities;

1. The Windows File Association for the media file type is pointing to the MC installation program.
2. You have an older version of MC installed, and the  Windows File Association for the media file type is pointing to the earlier (or just different to what you normally run) version of MC.

I suspect you have problem #2. You are running MC25 normally, but you still have an earlier version of MC installed, and when you click on the media file, the earlier version is launched, sees it doesn't have its version of Direct Show filters registered and runs an install process to register those filters.

Uninstall all earlier versions of MC.
Fix Windows File Associations to point to the current version of MC.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up