INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: pop up messenger and virus in W2k  (Read 880 times)

zevele10

pop up messenger and virus in W2k
« on: January 21, 2003, 08:45:43 am »

After one day with W2k ,not having yet firewall and anti virus i got few pop up windows :

Messenger
from xxxx: virus xxx detected
I did not have any messenger installed
From was from people with an israeli surname :shara -Eli and Aviv

After the third pop up i did install an antivirus and it found the virus annonced in the messages.

I had smoked only real cigarettes and drunk  only some  english tea from F&M

phelt

Re: pop up messenger and virus in W2k
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 10:16:44 am »

If you have Win2K you have a Messenger service, intended for network administrators to send unavoidable popup notices to users. Like so many things, the Messenger service is exploitable. Some "people" even found a way to spam all the users of remote networks with it :P

Probably this is a 'signature' for the virus authors, like digital grafitti. Good that you got it scrubbed.

If you're not on a network you can probably safely disable the Messenger service. That's one of my first steps on a new Win2K system, along with many other 'services'.

Obviously, making modifications to services and/or the system registry can have seriously negative consequences... like it won't work anymore  :-[

zevele10

Re: pop up messenger and virus in W2k
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 11:53:45 am »

Thank you
i was sure that the one sending the messages was the one sending the virus.
well it was not really a virus ,more kind of trojan or something like it.
I now have to learn W2K.
But i like it-beside it having reformated up to 5 or 6 times a day when trying to master 98 or ME ,i start to understand ...what i understand and what i do not.

For a start my new cable connection is running faster than the speed they announce,so no need to mess around with it..
Pages: [1]   Go Up