INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5.1 Multichannel over USB to 3 separate 2-channel DACs?  (Read 3121 times)

chrisr

• Recent member
5.1 Multichannel over USB to 3 separate 2-channel DACs?
« on: December 03, 2019, 09:44:39 pm »

I'd like to play 5.1 multichannel DSD files over USB to 3 separate 2-channel DACs (DAC1 = L/R; DAC2 = C/Sub; DAC3 = SR/SL).  Is this possible with MediaCenter?

I assume I would need 3 separate USB cables from the PC to the 3 DACs?  And MC would need to be able to be set up to send the correct 2 channels to the correct DAC?

Is this a non-starter if the 3 DACs do not have an external clock input for synching?

The DACs would be Playback Designs Merlot DACs or MPS-8 DACs (no external clock inputs) using the USB ASIO drivers.
Digital: Playback Designs MPD-5 DAC, PC running JRiver
Amps: Halcro DM-10 pre, Krell FPB-400cx amp
Speakers: Wilson W/P 7 speakers, REL Stadium III sub
Cables: Nordost Valhalla PCs, ICs, SCs
Power: Furutech GTX-D(R) outlets, Nordost Thor conditioner, Dedicated 30A lines
Tweaks: HRS M3 isolation base
Home Theater: Oppo UDP-203 4K player, Anthem AVM60 processor, Krell FPB-450mcx center channel amp, Krell TAS amp (unique 7 channel), Wilson Watch center speaker

ths61

• World Citizen
Re: 5.1 Multichannel over USB to 3 separate 2-channel DACs?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 01:01:40 am »

I'd like to play 5.1 multichannel DSD files over USB to 3 separate 2-channel DACs (DAC1 = L/R; DAC2 = C/Sub; DAC3 = SR/SL).  Is this possible with MediaCenter?

I assume I would need 3 separate USB cables from the PC to the 3 DACs?  And MC would need to be able to be set up to send the correct 2 channels to the correct DAC?

Is this a non-starter if the 3 DACs do not have an external clock input for synching?

The DACs would be Playback Designs Merlot DACs or MPS-8 DACs (no external clock inputs) using the USB ASIO drivers.

You would need something like this https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/u-dio8 .

USB to the UDIO-8 and then AES/EBU to the 3 DACs.  You would be limited by the AES/EBU max sample rates.

If you have Apple, you maybe able to aggregate audio output devices.  https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202000
Main - JRMC31 -> custom ALSA_cdsp -> CamillaDSP(2x8 channel 64-bit FIR convolution) -> 8 channel DAC
Office - JRMC31 -> Asus Xonar Essence STX -> W4S STI-1000 -> Mini-Magnepans
Shop - JRMC31 -> W4S MicroDAC -> Adcom GFA-2535 -> B&W Rock Solid

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 07:10:43 am »

Why not just buy an exaSound e38 Mark II?   Granted it is quite expensive ($4K USD) but probably not as much as 3 separate high end 2 channel DACs and far less headache getting it all configured and working.

That is the only 8 channel DAC i know of that supports DSD natively as well.  Unless i am listening to Atmos or DTS:X, I use it for all my audio and video now.  Wonderful device.

TV: LG OLED C1 83"
3D: LG OLED C6 65" (two) - madVR MVC->SBS
3D: Valve Index (using Media Center+MadVR) + Virtual Home Theater (Steam)
HTPC: Core i7, Win11, nVidia 3090RTX
Storage: 500TB Snapraid via SMB to Ubuntu 18 LTS server
Audio: exaSound e68 Multichannel USB DAC, Sonus Faber Speakers, REL Subx2
Video: HDMI 2.1/4K@120Hz, JRVR (2D), MadVR (3D), 7.1 Channel Audio into AMPs: Conrad Johnson 2/5 Channel Amps, Marantz av8805A PreAmp
Cables: Shotgun Interconnects, AudioQuest Cinnamon 48GB HDMI cables

ThJsusLzrd

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2021, 04:12:34 am »

Did you ever figure this out by chance?  It appears to be possible using Zones, but of course clock sync issues are a valid concern.

Given you can get 2 channel DACs with distortion far below audibility for <$100 it does seem very cost effective. 

zoom+slomo

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2022, 01:51:08 pm »

Why not just buy an exaSound e38 Mark II?   Granted it is quite expensive ($4K USD) but probably not as much as 3 separate high end 2 channel DACs and far less headache getting it all configured and working.

That is the only 8 channel DAC i know of that supports DSD natively as well.  Unless i am listening to Atmos or DTS:X, I use it for all my audio and video now.  Wonderful device.

Subject: SPDIF vs. USB Sound Quality? The Exasound e68 or one like it would be a great choice for my 5.1 system, as I'd very often be using JRiver, VLC, and/or PowerDVD 19 for DVD and BD movies. But I'd also still want to play BD movies on my Oppo 95 and/or Pioneer LX500 players, which of course, have no USB outputs. Would anyone care to share any such sonic comparisons made between the e68 DAC's USB and coax/optical SPDIF inputs?

eve

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2022, 02:47:25 pm »

Topping Dm7. It's what MiniDSP's UDAC-8 should have been. Unlike MiniDSPs this is phenomenally competitive, sonically with proper stereo D/A.
DSD native support, out of the box linux compatibility, essentially the best D/A chip you can reasonably buy (ES9038), and no bells or whistles. Closest competitor is putting together your own DIYINHK unit.

EDIT: Necro. Sorry about that. The recommendation stands though.

eve

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2022, 02:51:49 pm »

Subject: SPDIF vs. USB Sound Quality? The Exasound e68 or one like it would be a great choice for my 5.1 system, as I'd very often be using JRiver, VLC, and/or PowerDVD 19 for DVD and BD movies. But I'd also still want to play BD movies on my Oppo 95 and/or Pioneer LX500 players, which of course, have no USB outputs. Would anyone care to share any such sonic comparisons made between the e68 DAC's USB and coax/optical SPDIF inputs?

You won't get lossless, nor object based audio.
There ARE ways to use a high end USB D/A with external HDMI inputs but it's not cheap. It also drastically goes up in price if you want Object Based audio, it is possible.

If you're going down this road, putting it together yourself, I can't give you too many hints but BlackMagic is NOT what you want.
Pages: [1]   Go Up