INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote 3.30 problem [Solved]  (Read 2304 times)

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
JRemote 3.30 problem [Solved]
« on: December 07, 2019, 08:59:51 pm »

Updating to JRemote 3.30 on an iPad running iPadOS 13.2.3 and connecting to MC 25.0.114 on a Windows 7 machine, I get no icons in the left-hand portion after selecting / touching "Audio"!

No Albums, no Artists, no Genres, nothing!

I tried restarting MC on the PC to no avail.  The last-created playlists for all of the renderers is shown correctly, but I'm stuck!

Help!

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
Re: JRemote 3.30 problem
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 09:33:03 pm »

I tried restarting MC on the PC to no avail.

I tried rebooted the iPad, with no effect.  All of the "menu" choices on the left (Audio, Video, etc), with the exception of Streaming, slide away to then reveal no subsequent choices.

I also need to modify an earlier statement.  The "Now Playing" info (at the bottom) correctly displays the last tracked played (in this case, to a renderer running Kodi) and the track count for that item is correct with respect to that previous playlist.  Trying to bring up the current playlist, though, is not successful -- JRemote just claims that the playlist is empty, in spite of the Now Playing details.  I've not yet tried whether Play and Stop controls work for that track.

JRemote 3.29, now available just on my iPhone, is still controlling things fine, via the same running instance of MC.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2019, 09:42:04 pm »

I've not yet tried whether Play and Stop controls work for that track.

Those still work.  I am also able to advance to the next track in the "empty" playlist.

So, the control over state is still working.  Pulling up actual playlist info or retrieving anything other than the very top-level DLNA choices seems broken, though.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:10:02 am »

... or retrieving anything other than the very top-level DLNA choices seems broken, though.

Anyone else having this issue?  I do have the views for JRemote customized in MC, but only under "Audio".  The others (e.g., Video) have the standard views. 

I fear that if Bob can't reproduce the issue, I'll be stuck with JRemote 3.29 on the iPhone for a while.  FWIW, JRemote 3.29 was working fine on the exact same iPadOS version.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2019, 12:10:23 pm »

Just tested this in the simulator with your specs and it works fine.
Perhaps there is a issue with the DB on the iDevice being corrupted?
Can you remove JRemote (which deletes the data) and re-add it from the AppStore and see if that fixes it?

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2019, 12:11:57 pm »

Perhaps there is a issue with the DB on the iDevice being corrupted?
Can you remove JRemote (which deletes the data) and re-add it from the AppStore and see if that fixes it?

I'll give the above a try when I get home tonight.

Thanks for looking!

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2019, 10:11:00 pm »

Ok, finally got home and gave it a try...  I deleted JRemote and re-installed it from the App store.  Upon reconnecting to MC, via the access key, the left-hand choices are now reduced to just "Streaming" and "Remote".  No "Audio", "Images", "Video", or "Playlist" choices at all!

Checking against JRemote 3.29 on the iPhone, connecting to the same running MC instance, everything is still working normally.

Since nothing has changed on the MC instance, and given the re-installation, this seems like something amiss with JRemote 3.30.

Other thoughts or experiments I should try?

[Update 1: In case it comes up, the same result occurs if I delete the server and re-connect using IP address.  I do have authentication required; I'll try disabling that as well in case that makes any difference.]

[Update 2: No difference with authentication turned off.]

[Update 3: I stopped and re-started MC on the PC, and also killed and re-started JRemote on the iPad.  I'm now back to having "Audio", "Images", etc choices on the left, but selecting any of those results in an empty list of subsequent choices; so, back to the original behavior I described.]

bob

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2019, 12:13:24 pm »

Ok, finally got home and gave it a try...  I deleted JRemote and re-installed it from the App store.  Upon reconnecting to MC, via the access key, the left-hand choices are now reduced to just "Streaming" and "Remote".  No "Audio", "Images", "Video", or "Playlist" choices at all!

Checking against JRemote 3.29 on the iPhone, connecting to the same running MC instance, everything is still working normally.

Since nothing has changed on the MC instance, and given the re-installation, this seems like something amiss with JRemote 3.30.

Other thoughts or experiments I should try?

[Update 1: In case it comes up, the same result occurs if I delete the server and re-connect using IP address.  I do have authentication required; I'll try disabling that as well in case that makes any difference.]

[Update 2: No difference with authentication turned off.]

[Update 3: I stopped and re-started MC on the PC, and also killed and re-started JRemote on the iPad.  I'm now back to having "Audio", "Images", etc choices on the left, but selecting any of those results in an empty list of subsequent choices; so, back to the original behavior I described.]
Is streaming enabled on your MC on the PC?
Did you customize any views in MC for Gizmo, etc?
Are you using articles on MC and/or JRemote?

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2019, 12:17:36 pm »

Is streaming enabled on your MC on the PC?

If you're asking whether streaming is enabled under Tools > Options > General> Streaming, then yes.  I don't actually use it, but I've never turned it off.

Did you customize any views in MC for Gizmo, etc?

Yes.  Per an earlier update on this thread, views under Audio have been customized for JRemote.  I added a "Artists & Albums" view and have "Recent Albums" split into two pieces (based upon a split that exists in my music collection).  The Audio views are the only ones that have been modified, the rest are stock.

Are you using articles on MC and/or JRemote?

I don't know what you mean by "articles".  I think that likely means "no", but perhaps you should point me to something in the Wiki.   :)

[EDIT: Grammar and spelling are hard.]

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2019, 12:29:00 pm »

I should also note that the working JRemote 3.29 instance is running on an iPhone 6S running the same iOS / iPadOS version 13.2.3.  (I don't know how far the iPad and iPhone variants of that version have diverged.)

I would try JRemote 3.30 on the iPhone, but the inability to revert apps on iOS would then leave me with no working JRemote instance at all.

mattlovell

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2019, 07:22:59 pm »

In an earlier posting, Bob had asked about "articles".  He must have meant sorting articles.

Those I had modified, and that was the problem!  To the stock list, I had added two items:
  • a single pair of double quotes ("), in order to change the sorting order for "Weird Al" Yankovic as an Artist, and
  • a single opening parenthesis, in order to change how (Multiple Artists) got sorted.
Both appeared to work fine in MC itself.  Starting with JRemote 3.30, though, the sorting articles are evidently retrieved from MC, and it did not like the opening parenthesis!

Thanks to Bob for suggesting configuration changes to try.  IMO, JRemote remains the best way to browse my music, at least the way my collection is setup!  Even though I don't use Android, I'm excited to read about the JRemote2 release there.  I'm hopeful the iOS version continues to receive improvements and TLC.

Matt

pwu

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: JRemote 3.30 problem [Solved]
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2019, 05:12:49 pm »

Yep, had to delete all extra added articles on JRiver Media Center for items to appear on Remote again. Thanks for the info, and I hope this gets fixed.

bob

• Administrator
Re: JRemote 3.30 problem [Solved]
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2020, 04:30:16 pm »

Yep, had to delete all extra added articles on JRiver Media Center for items to appear on Remote again. Thanks for the info, and I hope this gets fixed.
You don't have to delete them in MC, just turn off that switch in JRemote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up