INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: sync handheld device replicates files on resync  (Read 2297 times)

gpongrac

• Recent member
sync handheld device replicates files on resync
« on: December 07, 2019, 11:04:56 pm »

I have several USB sticks that I wanted to sync via MC using a playlist.  The initial sync goes fine, but whenever the "recheck sync" feature is used, or the USB stick is simply ejected and then re-inserted, MC wants to recopy some of the files.  It is always the same files that it wants to copy again.  Furthermore, even if the "delete from handheld any files not in sync list" option is checked, the existing files are not deleted and instead MC replicates them in the same directory and appends a "(1)" to the filename.  If resync'd again, it becomes "(2)", et cetera.   Unchecking "resync if date modified" makes no difference here, and play-count and other meta-data is unchanging here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3ar03l5m32d87x/04%20Bach_%20Prelude%20In%20C%20Minor%2C%20BWV%20999%20-%20Prelude.m4a.zip?dl=0

The above dropbox link is for a .zip file containing a file that shows this behavior.  To reproduce the issue, simply do the following:

1.  download and extract the audio file from the .zip file and import it into an MC library (you don't need a dropbox account, you can do a direct download)
2.  create a playlist containing this file.
3.  create a folder someplace on your Mac and then set this up as a handheld device via the Options->Handheld->Device Management->Add Device menu
4.  configure the device to sync the playlist created in step 2
5.  run a sync, then once complete, click the "recheck sync" button and the file will show up again as needing to be sync'd.  If you run this 2nd sync, the file will be copied again.

This is happening for me with MC 24.0.78 on Mac OS.   I also tried it with MC 25 and got the same results.   Looking back at the forum it looks like this issue has been around for several years but I could find no resolution for the issue here.

If there is any work-around for this issue, I'd love to hear about it.

gpongrac

• Recent member
Re: sync handheld device replicates files on resync
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2019, 11:17:48 pm »

I could not reproduce this with MC 25 on Windows, so the problem seems to be Mac OS specific.

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2019, 05:25:19 pm »

Syncing of a handheld on a Mac is full of issues.

How does your install of MediaCenter display the full name of the track you are having this issue with?

If there are any characters in the metadata for track name, artist, album, that JRiver can't grapple with as part of the sync process (even if JRiver can handle them fine when displayed playing right on your Mac) this sync again  (and again, and again) problem occurs. Might be other reasons, but if this is the cause maybe my earlier post might be of some help -

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,122505.msg848023.html#msg848023

This is not only the only trouble though that I have had syncing a handheld with a Mac.

gpongrac

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2019, 10:11:28 pm »

Thanks for the tip Library Eye.  I confirmed it is indeed a problem with special characters such as in the name Andrés.

I resolved the issue by setting the audio-path in the Handheld Options to the value shown below.  This had been suggested elsewhere on the forum.

Code: [Select]
replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(replace(Music/[Album Artist (auto)]\[Album]\,à,a),á,a),é,e),è,e),ó,o),ç,c),å,a),ö,o),ä,a),æ,ae),Å,A),õ,o),ã,a),Á,A),ê,e),ú,u),ù,u),ô,o),É,E),º,o),í,i),ì,i),ü,u),Ê,E),Ø,O),ñ,n),ø,o),ò,o),î,i),&, and),#,no.),ć,c),ë,e),řá,ra),ř,r)/

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2019, 03:47:00 pm »

Thanks gpongrac, I will try that - it is a much more comprehensive list of special characters than the one I put together, and it looks like it replaces instead of removes the trouble characters. Totally different syntax than wherever I got my formatting from.

I see that is what you enter for the audio path… what do you enter for Audio Filename?

gpongrac

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2019, 04:49:47 pm »

I just use the default value for the filename.  Special characters in the filename don't seem to be an issue with the sync handheld feature.

Library Eye

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2019, 01:47:17 pm »

Thanks! I will try that next time I sync.
Pages: [1]   Go Up